OU-OSU Box Score

They got after it on the boards today (51-39 margin) with 15 offensive rebounds. Outside of McNeace, it looks like we shot FTs fairly well.

Thanks, Traveler!

Nice crowd today. 9,687 actual tickets collected at the door is not bad, especially with the students from both schools out for the holidays.

Win is a win.

Loved the way Doo played most of the game..still was hesitant some. He needs to not be afraid to shoot those open 10 to 12 fters.

Thanks, Traveler!

Nice crowd today. 9,687 actual tickets collected at the door is not bad, especially with the students from both schools out for the holidays.

also this is why we won't be getting a 6500 seat arena almost 11k paid

Here's our coverage of the game this weekend and excerpts of each...

Bill Haisten: Without Trae Young, Sooners return to defense over dazzle

In last season’s Bedlam game at Stillwater, Young scored 48 of OU’s 81 points and launched 39 of OU’s 82 shots from the field. Teammates Christian James, Brady Manek and Kristian Doolittle were a combined 7-of-27 for 18 points. Oklahoma State celebrated a two-point overtime victory.

By the end of Saturday’s Bedlam reunion at the Lloyd Noble Center, the stat sheet looked like a traditional Kruger stat sheet.

As 23rd-ranked Oklahoma prevailed 74-64 — evening its Big 12 record at 1-1 — six Sooners totaled at least five shot attempts and at least six points. No one attempted more than 13 shots. From James, Manek and Doolittle collectively, there were 45 points and 24 rebounds.

OU basketball: Sooners grind out Bedlam win over Cowboys

The biggest helper was the Sooners’ defense. From Day 1, OU has concentrated on being a better team on that end and, despite missing 15 consecutive shots in the first half, the Sooners only trailed for 15 seconds.

“If we didn’t stop them, we would have been blown out because we were having trouble getting the ball to go down,” forward Kristian Doolittle said. “We were able to disrupt what they like to do and disrupt their shooters (and) run them off the 3-point line.”

OSU basketball: Oklahoma State’s thin margin for error shows in 74-64 loss to No. 23 Oklahoma

Fourteen games and 56 days into an increasingly trying season, Thomas Dziagwa leaned forward in his chair as he spoke and made a declaration with the backdrop of his team’s rival behind him.

“Youth is not an excuse anymore,” the Oklahoma State junior said. “We played enough ball games. I think it’s just coming down to our really digging in and competing and everyone doing their job.

“Here going forward, we’re at a crossroads where we either have to choose to stay focused on everything or not. We just gotta keep going, continuing doing our job and going to practice and keep getting better.”

And here's a link to a gallery with nearly 60 photos from the game

I peek back periodically for reader questions but if there's anything you want an immediate response to, please either PM me or e-mail/Twitter message the writers. I will try to post our coverage the rest of the season and appreciate feedback. Thanks!

Excellent point. You’re right, it goes beyond the number of tickets collected at the entrances. Actual tickets sold to the OSU game: 10,906. As you know all too well, tickets sold to the lesser games is often twice the number of fans who show up. It has been that way for as long as I can remember.

I’m sure knowing that doesn’t make the players feel any better when they continue to see a number of empty seats at most games. But it’s not like OU is the only school experiencing a decline in attendance. The blue bloods aren’t putting butts in every seat for the cup cake games either. Articles about the decline in attendance at basketball games, especially the students, are out there for anyone interested in the topic.

Take that with a grain of salt. There were a bunch of school buses in the lots Saturday. Could've been like the 90s at Owen Field where an attendance of 68,000 included filling the south endzone with FCA kids or grunts from Fort Sill.

This gets really tired. Nobody wants a 6,500 seat areana. We basically gave away tickets like crazy for $10 for this game. Have a smaller venue with boxes and make your money on the boxes. The players deserve to have a gym that is more basketball centric with a higher percentage of butts in the seats fans for more games. 4,500 butts in seats (which is our average non-con attendance since I’ve been involved in basketball attendance) LOOKS (think recruiting) and sounds a lot better in a 8k seat areana (what the OU basketball fan base can support consistently) than in a 12k arena. For some perspective, that would be like having 7k butts in seats in the LNC which we would all call a GREAT non-con crowd. Smaller seating creates more demand, has the secondary ticket markets actually sell tickets leading to less empties, and makes games more fun (it sucks being in a 1/3rd full arena). Your argument is that during normal basketball seasons that it’s worth having the LNC capacity for the 2-4 home games a year that we SELL more tickets. I disagree. Make the money other ways.

Just my 2 cents.

- BT

This gets really tired. Nobody wants a 6,500 seat areana. We basically gave away tickets like crazy for $10 for this game. Have a smaller venue with boxes and make your money on the boxes. The players deserve to have a gym that is more basketball centric with a higher percentage of butts in the seats fans for more games. 4,500 butts in seats (which is our average non-con attendance since I’ve been involved in basketball attendance) LOOKS (think recruiting) and sounds a lot better in a 8k seat areana (what the OU basketball fan base can support consistently) than in a 12k arena. For some perspective, that would be like having 7k butts in seats in the LNC which we would all call a GREAT non-con crowd. Smaller seating creates more demand, has the secondary ticket markets actually sell tickets leading to less empties, and makes games more fun (it sucks being in a 1/3rd full arena). Your argument is that during normal basketball seasons that it’s worth having the LNC capacity for the 2-4 home games a year that we SELL more tickets. I disagree. Make the money other ways.

Just my 2 cents.

- BT

i don't totally disagree the new UNP arena was going to be 9.5K but you have to understand that we have had 9k season ticket holders for most of the last decade ... and if we had a 7500 k arena it would likely be sold out for the season ... and we would still have 3k empty seats for tons of games in the non con ..

Back