OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Stats: http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2012-2013/ttu-24.html

Highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yLBY7qxcgrg

Notes: http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/archive/022013aaa.html

Team Notes
Oklahoma improved to 17-8 overall and remained in a fourth-place tie in the Big 12 with an 8-5 record thanks to an 86-71 win at Texas Tech. The victory snapped a three-game losing streak in Lubbock.

The win was OU's eighth away from home this season (8-6 record), which is two more than the Sooners won the last two years combined (6-25 record).

The Sooners outshot the Red Raiders from the field, .533 to .414. It marked the 10th time in 13 league outings that OU shot better than its opponent.

OU's 86 points were its most of the season. The Sooners scored 81 points against Texas Tech in Norman, their second most of the Big 12 season.

Twice this year five Sooners have scored in double figures and both times it happened against Texas Tech.

Steven Pledger scored a season-high 22 points with the help of a season-high six 3-pointers on 13 attempts. He was 8-for-15 from the field and added four rebounds, two assists and two steals in a team-high 38 minutes.

Romero Osby netted 21 points on 7-for-11 field goal and 7-for-8 free throw shooting. He pulled down nine rebounds and added three assists in 32 minutes.

Amath M'Baye netted 15 points and grabbed a career-high 13 rebounds for his first double-double as a Sooner in only 25 minutes. His five assists were also a career high.

Sam Grooms played 30 minutes off the bench and scored 12 points (second most of the season) while handing out five assists without a turnover. Grooms is averaging 15.0 points over the last two games.

Cameron Clark came off the bench to supply 10 points and five boards in 25 minutes. He made his first five shots and finished with just one miss.

OU's +10 rebounding advantage (39-29) tied as its third largest of the season (second largest in Big 12 play).

For the seventh straight game, OU's bench outscored the opponent's bench (26-23 tonight).

With five Big 12 games remaining (three at home), the Sooners have already won two more league games than in any of the previous three seasons.

The Sooners return home to host Baylor on Saturday at 4 p.m. (televised by ESPNU).

Quotes: http://www.texastech.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/022013aac.html

Oklahoma Head Coach Lon Kruger ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Opening Statement
"A lot of guys made good plays and we knew coming in that Tech was going to be a tough challenge. We opened the ball game well, and then Tech makes a nice run. I thought our guys responded to that run well. Then in the second half it was just a battle. We couldn't quite get the margin we needed, and Tech hung in there and played awfully hard. I thought a lot of our guys made good plays and shot the ball well and kept just enough of a lead to keep Tech from making that big time push."

On this being the best offensive game they have had in a while
"The guys really moved the ball well. I thought they made the extra pass and shot with confidence. They made a lot of good plays for one another. Anytime you put up 17 assists that's a big number. You like to see that, but you have to get good ball movement. And when you make the extra pass, a lot of times the shooter has real good rhythm and shoots it better. I think that happened a few times tonight."

On his impression of Josh Gray
"He is a terrific player, not just a terrific young player but, just a terrific player. He is the kind of guy that keeps pressure on you all the time and he's very quick with the ball. He has a good ability to get in the paint and finish plays and is very tough to stay in front of. He is a terrific young player."

Oklahoma's Sam Grooms ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

On what he said to Josh Gray after the game and what he thinks of him
"I think he is good. Obviously his play is tremendous for his team and he leads his team. He makes them go. When we hugged I told him to keep his head up and that just because it doesn't look right, right now, it doesn't mean it won't look good in the future and upcoming years. And I told him to keep playing as hard as he can because, people see that and perception is reality for him right now."

On what he said to Isaiah Cousins to pick him up
"Being a point guard is tough. If he is out there making plays and everything is going right then everyone would have praised him but, I had to explain to him that even though it is tough right now, it is not as bad as it looks. You made a couple mistakes and did a couple things, but now you have to regroup from it and understand that you have tomorrow and you have to get better. I tried to pick him up as much as I can because I have been there before."

On what he saw from Amath M'Baye tonight and him getting his first double, double
"I am excited for him, that's big. He has been down on himself lately and he hasn't been doing what he thinks he should do and as well as he thinks he should. These three seniors right here have been on him too, to play like that. I am really happy for him. He went out there and played hard and he dominated. Although he didn't do it before, tonight he did it. I am looking forward to having him the rest of the year."

Oklahoma's Romero Osby ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

On adjusting to playing in the paint tonight with all the fouls called
"It was just something that you have to adjust to. It was a lot of whistles and you have to credit the referees tonight because, there were only 2 of them and they had to work hard to see everything. I think they did a good job officiating the game and I just think it is something you have to get adjusted to. We got into a little foul trouble but, you know we played through it and it ended up working out for us and we got the win so I don't have any complaints."

On Amath M'Baye's playing tonight
"He played great. Sometimes he gets down on himself but, we try to stay in his ear about keep playing because, he is talented enough to do that on a nightly basis and tonight he played really really well and he looked like the old Amath. So we were excited to see that for him and happy for him. And especially going down the stretch he is going to be big for us."

Oklahoma's Steven Pledger ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

On having Sam Grooms step up in tonight's game
"It was huge. He is one of those guys who continue to work and we have been on him about keeping his head up because, in his mind he hasn't been playing well and sometimes he just lets things elevate in his mind. So we have just been telling him to keep playing with confidence and keep running the team. And when he gets the chance to shoot open shots for him to knock them down, and he has been doing it and it has been huge for us the last couple games."

On what's working offensively for him
"I am getting my feet right and my mindset right going into every shot. I have been doing a lot of thinking and so I just have to calm myself down and just let it go."

Re: OU-Texas Tech Box Score

Another very good game for Grooms... coming at a good time as the Freshmen are hitting a wall.

There were so many heroes in tonight's game, I don't know where to start. Osby, Pledger and M'Baye played great! Grooms and Clark with another fine performance off of the bench. This was a good road win, and one we couldn't afford to lose if we expect to be dancing in March.

Yeah, there is no way that we fouled a team significantly less talented than us 24 times.
But oh well, I said going in I'd take a 1-point win, so I'll certainly take a 15-point one.
Hopefully Cousins can get his head back up and Hornbeak is ok for Saturday.

Is it just me or does it seems like Grooms is playing with more confidence? I don't see any hesitation with his shot and he seems to be attacking the basket looking to score instead of just looking to pass.

Is it just me or does it seems like Grooms is playing with more confidence? I don't see any hesitation with his shot and he seems to be attacking the basket looking to score instead of just looking to pass.

It looks like LK told him to go watch some tape of Rajon Rondo. Certainly not comparing them talent-wise, but that is the type of game he is playing now. He is pushing the ball, trying to get into the lane to either dish or get a high percentage shot. He isn't looking to take any jumpers early in the shot clock, and tries to avoid taking them at all. BUT.....and this is what Rondo started doing last season, when Grooms is forced to take a jumper, he isn't hesitating. He is going up with confidence, and letting it fly.

His shot actually doesn't look that bad. Form-wise, it looks much better than Cam, Cousins, and maybe even Hield. Glad it's finally starting to go in some. LK has a real juggling act on his hands going forward, with Grooms and Cousins. Be interesting to see how it all plays out.

It looks like LK told him to go watch some tape of Rajon Rondo. Certainly not comparing them talent-wise, but that is the type of game he is playing now. He is pushing the ball, trying to get into the lane to either dish or get a high percentage shot. He isn't looking to take any jumpers early in the shot clock, and tries to avoid taking them at all. BUT.....and this is what Rondo started doing last season, when Grooms is forced to take a jumper, he isn't hesitating. He is going up with confidence, and letting it fly.

His shot actually doesn't look that bad. Form-wise, it looks much better than Cam, Cousins, and maybe even Hield. Glad it's finally starting to go in some. LK has a real juggling act on his hands going forward, with Grooms and Cousins. Be interesting to see how it all plays out.

It doesn't even look close to me. Play Grooms as much as he can handle, Cousin's looks too shaky right now.

It doesn't even look close to me. Play Grooms as much as he can handle, Cousin's looks too shaky right now.

At the same time coach needs to figure out how to get Cousin's back into the game. We are already a guard short with Hield Hurt, plus Je'lon got hurt last night as well. Cousin's is going to be very important if we want to be dancing

Uh, we've done that. And when Grooms plays major minutes, or starts, his production drops WAY off.

Uh, we've done that. And when Grooms plays major minutes, or starts, his production drops WAY off.

He is still playing way better than Cousins right now. I think Cousins could develop into a good player but right now, Grooms gives us a better chance to win.

Grooms is playing great offensively, but he got abused by Gray on the defensive side of the ball.

I felt for Cousins last night...Hornbeak had that same look before the Kansas game and bounced back in a big way.

I cann't offer up any excuses for Cousins. But, there is a reason that Sam lost out to start with.

I think both players are going to be important. Starting Cousins is still a good idea because his defense keeps the opposing point guard off balance to start the game.

Back