OUr rebuilding plan

Doesn't Pitt have 1 returning starter on their roster this year? They may make a Final Four run this year. Point is lots of teams in college basketball have roster turnover. It's a big part of the game today with guys going pro early, people leave because they aren't as good as they thought. A lot of teams have large roster turnover and find ways to have a consistent program.

Yes he did, because he was going to be the top player drafted. That's why he wasn't on the list. If we had a bunch of players leaving because they were going to be top draft picks, we wouldn't be in this mess.

I was just giving you a hard time.

Doesn't Pitt have 1 returning starter on their roster this year? They may make a Final Four run this year. Point is lots of teams in college basketball have roster turnover. It's a big part of the game today with guys going pro early, people leave because they aren't as good as they thought. A lot of teams have large roster turnover and find ways to have a consistent program.

Even though we don't completely agree on the turnover issue, do we agree that it's the job of the head coach to make sure that the program doesn't implode under their watch?

Do you change your recruiting strategy to recruit like college baseball ? Baseball doesn't go after the top high school players, they recruit a level under that.

If you get players who might be in school for four years and have no NBA plans, by their jr and sr years, they would be pretty good.

The new CBA that the NBA will negotiate over the next year, will also address the " one and done " issue. They may make a player stay two years in college before he can enter the draft. And that could change attitudes of some of these high school guys who think they ready for the NBA now.

Of course I agree. But look at the last few years under Sampson we had large roster turnover every year yet Sampson was able to get a late JUCO or get a key player that would turn us into a decent team. Capel hasn't been able to have that success yet.

I AM IN NO WAY SAING NOT TO GO AFTER THE TOP PLAYERS. im just saying we cant afford to get one and strike out on four others and settle for low major guys. we have to take good players that can contribute. for example rickey scott wanted to go here but instead he ended up at ark and we ended up wo lamb. we need to take guys like tj taylor.

at the pf c pos im afraid we'll strike out w all of the top guys we were after and have nobody left.

Didn't Kentucky have almost complete roster turnover this year? They seem to be doing OK. Capel has had plenty of issues. Roster turnover, in and of itself, is not it. Effectively dealing with the turnover that every other high major program deals with is his issue.

Of course I agree. But look at the last few years under Sampson we had large roster turnover every year yet Sampson was able to get a late JUCO or get a key player that would turn us into a decent team. Capel hasn't been able to have that success yet.

Capel hasn't done this. The kids he brings in seem to be, at the very best, low level D-1 prospects or kids with other issues.

Capel hasn't done this. The kids he brings in seem to be, at the very best, low level D-1 prospects or kids with other issues.

Can't argue with this.

Like I've said many times, people want to paint Capel as a great recruiter, but if WW, TMG and Tiny all leave, the only recruit he will have brought in who ended up proving he was top rated talent at OU is BG, and he fell in Capel's lap.

Too many misses like Neysmith, Willis, Allen, Maze, Cannon, Patillo, Early, etc. to say he's a great recruiter.

Didn't Kentucky have almost complete roster turnover this year? They seem to be doing OK. Capel has had plenty of issues. Roster turnover, in and of itself, is not it. Effectively dealing with the turnover that every other high major program deals with is his issue.

We aren't Kentucky, and Capel isn't Calipari...only certain places and certain coaches can completely clean house and come out of it so quickly...OU isn't going to land a bunch of future NBA studs like Kentucky did...

I AM IN NO WAY SAING NOT TO GO AFTER THE TOP PLAYERS. im just saying we cant afford to get one and strike out on four others and settle for low major guys. we have to take good players that can contribute. for example rickey scott wanted to go here but instead he ended up at ark and we ended up wo lamb. we need to take guys like tj taylor.

at the pf c pos im afraid we'll strike out w all of the top guys we were after and have nobody left.

I agree with this. I love that Capel goes after the big dogs. I just wish he wouldn't ever turn down solid 3-4 star guys or local kids that would help the program just to wait around for guys like Jai Lucas, Daniel Orton, Terrance Jones, or any of these big name guys that obviously love the attention of getting recruited all the way through the MAA weekend. It seems like guys like this usually go to the highest bidder anyways, and I don't want us being a part of that.

We don't have any real proof that John Roberson, Rickey Scott or whoever really wanted to come to OU and Capel just said "no thanks". But if there is ever a scenario where Capel has to choose between a good solid 4-year player that is a sure thing coming to OU and waiting 6 months to see what some big name guy that everybody wants will do, I hope he'll take that player and move on.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, basically is what I'm saying.

Last edited:
If we have only 4 scholarship players returning and 2 coming in, leaving us 7 short of maximum, then I would say we need 4 more minimum for next year...a real question is whether Honore or Randolph can contribute on any meaningful level...if they can then it would help while we are low on scholarship players...

i thought i had read somewhere that he wasn't here anymore...???

Back