Pledger and Fitzgerald

I think before all is said and done Fitzgerald will start most of this year. Pledger may start also. But Capel has a lot more confidence in Crocker right now.

Who starts or who's coming off the bench isn't going to matter. Steven Pledger is going to get 30plus minutes a game. Fitz is going to get close to that. Fitz and Pledger will get more minutes than everyone on the team outside of Warren, Crocker, TMG, and Tiny.

Who starts or who's coming off the bench isn't going to matter. Steven Pledger is going to get 30plus minutes a game. Fitz is going to get close to that. Fitz and Pledger will get more minutes than everyone on the team outside of Warren, Crocker, TMG, and Tiny.

I think you might be right about this. I know both of these kids, will see more minutes than I once thought. (And Like I keep saying, I expected Pledger to be playing very well. Just not this well, this soon! haha)

Tony has earned his position with over three years of hard work as a Sooner. Pledger has shot well in his first two games but in my book that doesn't earn him a starting role. I can see Wright losing his spot easily though. He doesn't provide the intangible spark and confidence I see from Crocker.

Bottom line is :jcapel will make the wise choice regardless of what we think.

Look, i love Pledger and think he is going to be a star for us but there is no way he takes TC's spot...

Reason? this team's major weakness right now is it's lack of focus on the defensive end, they all are capable, but you can see they take breaks and are not sure on assignments in spots...Crocker's level of intensity was clearly above anyone elses on the court at that end...he had some major sparks in this game and i can see that playing out all season...he's also not a shabby performer on offense either...

You must have played college ball.

It isn't rocket science why Tony will continue to start, unless his game goes to absolute crap.

I also don't think you start Fitz, b/c you want Wright's size in the game initially, and freshman are generally more foul prone. Once we start facing real teams, we'll need those three, Tiny/Wright/Fitz, to get most of the minutes.

I have no problem with Pledger and Fitz coming off the bench.... Every team needs a spark, and these guys will come in and change the pace and produce off the bench every game.

I also don't think you start Fitz, b/c you want Wright's size in the game initially, and freshman are generally more foul prone. Once we start facing real teams, we'll need those three, Tiny/Wright/Fitz, to get most of the minutes.

I agree 100%. We're going to need all of the help we can get at the post this season, and that includes Kyle. I just think you go with the best players at those positions, without regard to the class they're in or their experience level. To me, that's Tiny and Drew, unless Fitzgerald hits that freshman wall and remembers he's in college now. lol He is simply playing better than Wright at this point. So, why not reward him for his efforts to see if he can handle it? If Ryan was a four-year starter like Tony who had been a major contributor to our success over the years, I may not say that.

As I said before, I'm all for continuing to bring Pledger off the bench to provide a spark on offense. Tony is an inconsistent shooter, at best, but he gives great effort on defense and his experience is invaluable. He earned the right to start and I would not take that away from him this early in the season, if the decision was mine to make.

I actually like the idea of bringing Fitz and Pledger off the bench. It's a highly competent, potentially energetic duo to give us a nice push.

another thing i picked up on was Fitz starting the second half over Gallon...much has been said over Gallon's numbers but i could see Capel really challenging him to play hard and i think that is why he sat early in that second half...

something else is that alley-oop he caught, he will wish he didnt get that play after the beating he gets in the film room this week...he didnt cross half court and made no effort to get back...while i think it didnt matter at that point, Capel wasnt too happy with him or Pledger on that play...

The awesome thing about this team is that our weakness is just youth and inexperience, that is all coachable and these guys are going to get better and learn to compete more consistently...gonna be a FUN year!

I agree.

BIGTIME if you're out there. Art is on to something. You and the Capel Crew need to go out and buy lots of cans of PLEDGE. As far as Pledge and Fitz go. These guys have shown that they are ready. I'm kind of like Dirty. It really doesn't matter who starts the game because if they don't produce. They won't be on the floor very long because of the play of Pledge and Fitz. We all need to wait on Crock. He is the experienced player that knows how to set the tone defensively. I really think once he starts scoring the ball that our team will be lethal. We have all seen him get hot. What if he gets hot with all this other offense that we're getting? Once this team buys into better defense lookout. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:clap

This was something I was thinking about today, regarding this issue: Is Wright starting because of his athletic ability? I'm just speculating, but it seems like Wright may have the best "ups" of the big guys on the team, so maybe Capel is starting him simply for the opening jump ball. Just something that came to mind during the game.

As far as Crocker, his defense is pretty solid, and I think that is something that is good to have, regardless of his streaky shooting.

I don't think Crocker played all that bad tonight. He played solid defense and rebounded well. He got poked in the eye about half way through the first half or he may have scored something like 8 or 10 points.

I like having the option of being able to bring instant offense off the bench in the form of Pledger but I do think if Ryan doesn't start producing Fitz will be starting come conference time.

another thing i picked up on was Fitz starting the second half over Gallon...much has been said over Gallon's numbers but i could see Capel really challenging him to play hard and i think that is why he sat early in that second half...

just to clarify, fitz didn't start the 2nd half. tiny picked up his third foul nine seconds in and then brought in fitz. but i completely agree with what you are saying, since he yanked tiny again in the second half after missing that 3-pointer. hopefully he and yo will challenge him off the court as well so he doesn't put on any lbs.

Alot of folks not understanding basketball posting in this thread.

You don't always START your best five players. I'd imagine very few teams around the country do. We're just fine starting Wright and Crocker, and giving their minutes to Fitz and Pledger.

You don't need five guys on the court that need shots, or can score like that. OU is better off being able to bring scorers off the bench when they have to rest guys like Tiny or WW. If you are starting the "best" five, you have guys like Pledger defaulting shots to WW, and also playing tired when WW comes out, if that makes sense.

Anyways, Coach knows what he is doing.

Right on!!! You need offense on the court at all times as well as a blend of solid defense. Jeff and staff will insure that the needed balance is always on the floor and that the minutes for those that play best will be the greatest.

i think fitz will be the starter sooner than later ... but unless crock just plays horrible he will start the entire year

Spare me, you don't always start your five best players, really? That's sounds like sports 101 to me. I would love to coach against you.

Back