Pledger vs. Cade... who is the starting SG?

thebigabd

Reaction score
Steven Pledger (6'4'' 210)
2009-10
Played in 30 of team's 31 games and made three starts ... Averaged 6.2 points and 1.5 rebounds in 18.9 minutes an outing ... Ranked third on team with 44 3-point field goals ... Shot .338 from 3-point distance and a team-high .846 from the free throw line ... Went 19-for-40 (.475) from 3-point range over season's first six games.

Pledger Video: http://www.cstv.com/allaccess/playe...1nov/20091126houstonhilites2.wmv&school=okla&

Cade Davis (6'5'' 199)
2009-2010
Played in all 31 games and started each of the last 27 ... Averaged 9.9 points, 3.9 rebounds, 1.0 assist and a team-high 1.5 steals in 31.8 minutes per outing ... Played at least 36 minutes in each of last 10 games and in 14 of last 15 ... Shot .392 from the field, .347 from 3-point range and .778 from the free throw line ... Ranked second on team with 58 3-point makes

Davis Video: http://www.cstv.com/allaccess/playe...0100206_texas_highlights-new.wmv&school=okla&

I think there is a possibility, at least early on, we could see both in the starting lineup with Cade at the three. But assuming Clark nails down the 3 slot, it will be hard for Bird to beat out Cade.

I think that prob pledger is the better option, but if we plan on being real competitive we are going to have to win with heart and hustle because we will not be more athletic than most. So Cade will always give us that hustle. I think Pledger gets alot of minutes though...because Cade will play anything from the 2 - 4. If we go small I actually like cade the most at the 4.

Cade. Although like others have said I think he'll play multiple positions which opens up time for Bird at SG.

I think that prob pledger is the better option, but if we plan on being real competitive we are going to have to win with heart and hustle because we will not be more athletic than most. So Cade will always give us that hustle. I think Pledger gets alot of minutes though...because Cade will play anything from the 2 - 4. If we go small I actually like cade the most at the 4.

Unless we are playing small ball team I really hope we avoid the 4 guard lineup as much as possible. Not a big fan of it, I think Cade could be a bandaid at times in the face of foul trouble but I'm hoping it is avoided as a long term solution like last year with Crocker.

i think this is one of the easiest questions asked on here. Cade.

Ummmmm...no way Cade is coming off the bench.

Why? He averaged 3 more points per game playing double the minutes as a junior...

Pledger is the more talented player here, IMO.

I agree with Sam. I think both start until Cam and TJ prove themselves. After that, I think Cade still starts with Pledge playing significant minutes. I would not be shocked to see Cade and Pledge start together for a good part of the year.

Why? He averaged 3 more points per game playing double the minutes as a junior...

Pledger is the more talented player here, IMO.

You need your team leader starting and, like it or not, Cade is the leader of this team.

You say Pledger is the more talented player (which is debatable), but is he a better player? Cade has gotten better every year.

Last edited:
Talent isn't everything.

True. Gotta love Cade's heart and leadership. He also has very underrated athleticism. The best part about him, though, is his selflessness and maturity. He will take whatever Coach tells him to do in stride, whether it be our go-to-guy or our 6th man.

Pledge has more talent. If the rumors are true about how hard Pledge has worked in the offseason, then he will be our guy by the end of the season, IMO.

I think that they will both see significant minutes, but I'd be shocked if Cade is not the starter.

Cade will be a starter...either at the 2 or 3...somewhere...

Just too much inexperience with this team to not have him out there, although regardless if he starts or not he will get plenty of minutes which is what matters anyway...

If Cade loses his job that is a good thing, just means we have some really talented players that are doing the right things...and it will mean we are winning games are are good...

our best lineup imo is

newell
pledge
tj
clark
fitz(or someone more athletic)

and a suns type offense

You need your team leader starting and, like it or not, Cade is the leader of this team.

You say Pledger is the more talented player (which is debatable), but is he a better player? Cade has gotten better every year.

!

our best lineup imo is

newell
pledge
tj
clark
fitz(or someone more athletic)

and a suns type offense

There isn't a player over 6'7 in that lineup, it would get slaughtered on the boards and in the post defensively. I don't see how that lineup would lead to many wins, might be fun to watch on offense. But if this team is going to be successful, they're going to have to do the "small things" hustle, play good tough team defense and crash the boards. This lineup is the exact opposite of that.

Cade will be a starter...either at the 2 or 3...somewhere...

Just too much inexperience with this team to not have him out there, although regardless if he starts or not he will get plenty of minutes which is what matters anyway...

If Cade loses his job that is a good thing, just means we have some really talented players that are doing the right things...and it will mean we are winning games are are good...

Exactly. If we depend on Cade to score we are another 13 game winner. If he is a Mr. Hustle in the starting lineup who defers or is part of the 2nd unit we can win 20 games. Cade is what he is, the question is if these new guys are better which will mean we are better.

Back