Porter on with Toby this morning

Sadly, we have a fair weather fan base. He wins they will come. It's the same for football. Whole lot of empty seats in the mid to late 90's in the stadium

There aren't many fan bases that show up to watch perennial losers. It's entertainment. The more entertaining it is, the more people show up. Winning is entertaining. Being entertaining is entertaining.

What is the outlook for The Thunder this year. I wonder if some of the fair-weather fans who go to Thunder games will come back to check out the team under a new coach.

I wonder how the crowds will change when the SEC move happens which is probably going to be sooner than later because it benefits the Big 12 the most to get OU/Texas out ASAP.

I know OU will have regional and somewhat historical rivalries with Missouri, Arkansas, A&M and Texas. And we are already trying to make the Arkansas rivalry a thing playing a game in Tulsa ever year. I'm guessing that will continue in SEC play. But regular games against Mississippi schools, Kentucky, Florida, Georgia, etc will probably be vastly different then we've had the last decade for sure. I could see the novelty of some of these new opponents bringing in crowds a bit more at first. Particularly if Tennessee, Kentucky, Florida are ranked like they've been most years.

I wonder how the crowds will change when the SEC move happens which is probably going to be sooner than later because it benefits the Big 12 the most to get OU/Texas out ASAP.

I know OU will have regional and somewhat historical rivalries with Missouri, Arkansas, A&M and Texas. And we are already trying to make the Arkansas rivalry a thing playing a game in Tulsa ever year. I'm guessing that will continue in SEC play. But regular games against Mississippi schools, Kentucky, Florida, Georgia, etc will probably be vastly different then we've had the last decade for sure. I could see the novelty of some of these new opponents bringing in crowds a bit more at first. Particularly if Tennessee, Kentucky, Florida are ranked like they've been most years.

I don't think it will affect the crowds much. Might see an immediate increase mostly because people might want to see us play the "new" teams. But eventually, I think it'll settle back where it was.

We've played schools like Kansas, OSU, and ISU for a long time, but I think a strong argument can be made that there are better "rivalries" or just better "good games" to be had in the SEC. Kentucky = Kansas. And Mizzou and Arky feel like solid rivalries that probably top anything other than Bedlam. I think OU/OSU will find away to play annually. They should have an annual game that rotates between OKC and Tulsa. That would be cool. UF. Bama. Tennessee. They have had all had runs where they've been good teams.

I think it got lost in the shuffle a bit with football being the main thing folks looked at, but the SEC is going to offer from pretty interesting things from a bball perspective too.

What is the outlook for The Thunder this year. I wonder if some of the fair-weather fans who go to Thunder games will come back to check out the team under a new coach.

Okc is going to tank again. Hopefully the folks who commute to okc games will just purchase ou tickets this year and support moser. I’m going to make it up for a few games from Dallas, wish I could do more.

Indoor sports might logically suffer from attendance issues relative to football, as an example, but then again it might not apply specifically to Oklahoma.

I was actually impressed with how well the football fan base continued to support the team during the dark days of the 90s. There may have been some empty seats at some games but there could have been so many more (and there would have been at many other schools, I'm convinced).

And sadly, winning hasn't made that much difference for basketball. Even during the oft-touted Tubbs era, there were many more empty seats for many games than is commonly acknowledged today. And we were certainly complaining about attendance during Sampson's tenure (and ever since).

+1

Oh one will exist. I've seen them appear on twitter or on message boards at different schools. Just need some proper sleuthing and/or leaking..

You’re absolutely right, they always end up being tweeted by national reporters and/or beat writers.

Oh one will exist. I've seen them appear on twitter or on message boards at different schools. Just need some proper sleuthing and/or leaking..

I hope you’re right, Stikboy! We’re all eager for the smallest glimpse at this team, even if it’s through a scrimmage box score.

Back