Post Season Activity For OU Forum Fans

Soonerbay

Reaction score
I am a firm believer in helping with the problem if I talk about the problem. Feel free to add your own suggestions to the “OU WBB Fan Version of a 5-Year Strategic Plan” . We have some extra time on our hands since there is at least one team we won’t be watching in the Big XII tourney or NCAA tourney. To create ease in trying to follow each of our opinions/changes to this “sample”, be sure to BOLD your changes and additions. Disclaimer: This is just my opinion and is not inclusive of all aspects of any category. Have fun!

Mission Statement: Provide the tools, instruction and support to ensure continued development of WBB student-athletes in conjunction with their academic success, while maintaining a national ranking.

Goals:
1. Hire a new Head Coach by June 15, 2019.
a. This will allow the new coach to view major tournaments in July in OU gear. Visibility is important. Must have proven success with recruiting, signing and coaching top 25 student-athletes from diverse socio-economic and cultural/ethnic backgrounds and geographical locations; domestic and international.

2. Recruit and sign the following student-athletes for the 2019-2020 season:
• Sign the best possible junior college or international post player that is at least 6’4” during the late signing period.
• Generate a go to list of the top point guard, shooting guard and two additional post players from junior college or internationally in preparation/anticipation of possible transfers who will not likely wait to see who the new coach will be.

3. Depending on available scholarships (considering there are not any current juniors) sign the following:
• Each year that scholarships are available (potentially more transfers could happen due to less playing time) , sign at least one (1) student-athlete that is in the Hoop Gurlz/ESPN top 25 and/or a proven significant contributor on an international team for 2020 through 2025; the remainder must be in the top 50, otherwise, save the scholarship for possible transfers into the program.

4. Achieve the following minimum game and tournament statistics (based on 30 game season): 8-22 4-14
a. 2019-20 Season: Overall 15-15 Conference 8-10 Big XII 1-1 WNIT 1-1
b. 2020-21 Season: Overall 20-10 Conference 12-6 Big XII 2-1 NCAA 1-1
c. 2021-22 Season: Overall 25-5 Conference 15-3 Big XII 3-1 NCAA 2-1
d. 2022-23 Season: Overall 26-4 Conference 16-2 Big XII 3-1 NCAA 2-1
e. 2023-24 Season: Overall 27-3 Conference 16-2 Big XII 4-0 NCAA 3-1

5. Restore the WBB summer camps for elementary, middle and high school girls.
a. The earlier and more often they are invited to the campus, the better opportunity to cultivate and maintain relationship. Create memories!

6. Maintain a 100% graduation rate. Each student-athlete must maintain academic eligibility per OU and NCAA guidelines and attend a minimum of twenty-five hours per week of study sessions in the Prentice Gautt Academic Center.

7. Select a new team community service project every two (2) years, alternating domestic and international (or outside of the 50 US states) to increase diverse learning and service opportunities where each student-athlete will experience at least one (1) international community service project. Additionally, each student-athlete is required to commit to their individual local community service project in Norman, OK for a minimum of two (2) consecutive years for a total of two (2) projects during a four (4) year period.

Action Items
1. Hire new Head Coach.
2. Head Coach hire new staff.
3. Re-implement summer camps.
4. Recruit, recruit, recruit.
5. Plan a fan recommitment night hosted by the 15 endowment donors.

SWOT (Strength Weakness Opportunity Threat) Analysis

Strengths
1. History and legacy.
2. Facilities.
3. Endowments.
4. Former WBB student-athletes.
5. Conference.
6. New, experienced coaching staff.
7. Degree programs and academic support center.
8. Community service.
9. Graduation rate.
10. Jordan brand gear (student-athletes like it).

Weaknesses
1. Continued decline in talent, record, recruiting and ranking.
2. Fan attendance and interest.
3. Skill development.
4. Game time coaching.
5. Student-athlete relationship cultivation/camps.
6. Diversity in coaching staff.
7. Inexperienced coaching staff.
8. Micro management.
9. Nepotism.

Opportunities
1. Hire a head coach that has proven success.
2. Save salary dollars.
3. Lots of post players in the top 60 Hoop Gurlz/ESPN!
4. Revive fan base and attendance.
5. Return to top conference and national ranking.

Threats
1. Nothing changes this year.
2. Nothing changes next year.
3. Colton Coale becomes the next Head Coach.

Last edited:
I have been slow to call for a change, but I agree it is time for change in the wbb coaching. I don't think Joe C will pull the trigger, but he might make a big push that would result in either assistant coach (s) changes, or resignation. Sad to have this happen to a staff led by great people who had such success on and off the court with the OU program, but we all see the many weaknesses and failures of the past few years.
I don't think any of us want to have more years like the 18-19 season.

Agreed. I think one of the things we really need to see that we haven't seen very much of lately is whenever we do get these top 100 recruits to commit, actually developing them into better players than they were in high school. Did Ortiz actually get better while she was here? I expected a lot more out of her during her career. Same with Kornet, C. Paris, etc. ViVi got better but that was a rarity....I feel like the few players that actually improved year-by-year were simply because they as individuals had that hunger to do so, I don't think the staff had much of a role in it. I think whatever we do with the coaches whoever is on the staff from this point forward needs to really focus on this because these are things prospective recruits look at, 'Did this girl get better as a player when they came to the University of Oklahoma?' most likely not and that's got to change!
Overall I agree with all the previous points, several different aspects of our program need to change in order to be successful. I have watch the Baylor game today and they are scary good. I don't know if they have more than a couple of girls that are below 5'9" and that is almost entirely our roster!

So, the only reason that you have ever been on this board was to criticize and condemn Sherri Coale.

Are you now suggesting the the board be dedicated exclusively to the agenda of eliminating Coale?

So, the only reason that you have ever been on this board was to criticize and condemn Sherri Coale.

Are you now suggesting the the board be dedicated exclusively to the agenda of eliminating Coale?

Syb, some of us think SC has been great, is still a great person, but the results have drastically fallen off-to the point that something needs to be done. It may just be a renewed energy of existing coaches both coaching and recruiting. It may be change of assistants or all of the coaches. Nothing publicly may come out, but we should never have a 4 win conference record, and only 8 wins for the season.
Add to that the dropping several years ago of summer camps for young ladies, and the hiring of an inexperienced son to be an assistant. All things to cause discontent in the fan base.
We need to change the course of wbb and not go back to the days before it was almost eliminated because it was so bad.

I get on the board whenever I see something I'm concerned about to see what everyone else thinks. Isn't that the point of a forum? I'm sorry that you are so completely biased in favor of SC that you don't acknowledge the truth of what is going on with our program. You are condescending and you are flat-out rude to those that don't share the same opinion with you. I'd be interested to know, do you actually think things are going to get better just staying the course and changing absolutely nothing?

I'm not saying SC needs to go 100%, I am saying she definitely needs to change the way things are being run and her mentality because it isn't working and hasn't been working for some time. Maybe it did at one point but things change and that's what makes you a good coach and a valued employee for that matter. Your ability to adapt to change and turn it into something positive. When people say 'the game has passed her by,' this is exactly what I think of.

Last edited:
Syb, some of us think SC has been great, is still a great person, but the results have drastically fallen off-to the point that something needs to be done. It may just be a renewed energy of existing coaches both coaching and recruiting. It may be change of assistants or all of the coaches. Nothing publicly may come out, but we should never have a 4 win conference record, and only 8 wins for the season.
Add to that the dropping several years ago of summer camps for young ladies, and the hiring of an inexperienced son to be an assistant. All things to cause discontent in the fan base.
We need to change the course of wbb and not go back to the days before it was almost eliminated because it was so bad.

Are you inside of the program where you actually have the facts? If not, most of the discussion is based on rumor. For some reasons, positive rumors just never seem to get started.

---there is a lot of discussion of the great number of transfers that we have had. Let's see. We have lost Harden, Plumley, Kornet, Dungee, Mulkey, and who else? We have at least a vague idea of why Plumley "transferred." Sherri tends to say absolutely nothing. Kornet had her story in print, and it was reasonably favorable. Now, do you have any idea what the facts are behind Harden, Dungee, and Mulkey?

We hear that Sherri is lazy and won't recruit. Strikes me that we have lost a number of recruits that we worked on to Tennessee, Stanford, Louisville, Duke, and one or two to Baylor. Sometimes, you get those. Sometimes you don't, especially if you are going up against a Stanford. But, are you really certain what the situation is?

We hear about rules. Funny that we never seem to hear this from players on the team or even former members of the team. It seems to arise from outsiders who heard something.

Do you actually know anything about any of this? Do you actually have facts? How do you have a legitimate discussion if all you are discussing is rumors? Shall we begin by declaring that the world is flat? I saw that rumor on facebook. There is an entire society devoted to it. It must be true.

Show me some facts. Then, there is something to debate. All I have heard is that someone doesn't like to lose and thinks we lose because..... Show me facts.

Let's start with an actual fact. Madi said after the game last night that this team would win a national championship before they left. That was an actual statement by a person on the team. That is a fact.

I will give an illustration of something I consider completely insane, and it is the way people on message boards think.

---right now, there is a thread on robocoach (a softball board) on Florida softball

-----a couple of these posters have decided that Murphy (the coach of Florida) needs to be fired immediately. They can't score and have no offense.

----they say that the offense has been going downhill for years

----Murphy can't recruit and isn't doing anything about it.

Now, a couple of facts:

---Florida's rotation includes two freshmen and a sophomore
---Florida is 21-4
---Florida State won the title last year
---Oklahoma won the title the two previous years
---Florida had won it the previous two years and had the all-time greatest championship series against OU when they lost it to OU.

---it has been three years (reference "going downhill for years)

Are you inside of the program where you actually have the facts? If not, most of the discussion is based on rumor. For some reasons, positive rumors just never seem to get started.

---there is a lot of discussion of the great number of transfers that we have had. Let's see. We have lost Harden, Plumley, Kornet, Dungee, Mulkey, and who else? We have at least a vague idea of why Plumley "transferred." Sherri tends to say absolutely nothing. Kornet had her story in print, and it was reasonably favorable. Now, do you have any idea what the facts are behind Harden, Dungee, and Mulkey?

We hear that Sherri is lazy and won't recruit. Strikes me that we have lost a number of recruits that we worked on to Tennessee, Stanford, Louisville, Duke, and one or two to Baylor. Sometimes, you get those. Sometimes you don't, especially if you are going up against a Stanford. But, are you really certain what the situation is?

We hear about rules. Funny that we never seem to hear this from players on the team or even former members of the team. It seems to arise from outsiders who heard something.

Do you actually know anything about any of this? Do you actually have facts? How do you have a legitimate discussion if all you are discussing is rumors? Shall we begin by declaring that the world is flat? I saw that rumor on facebook. There is an entire society devoted to it. It must be true.

Show me some facts. Then, there is something to debate. All I have heard is that someone doesn't like to lose and thinks we lose because..... Show me facts.

Let's start with an actual fact. Madi said after the game last night that this team would win a national championship before they left. That was an actual statement by a person on the team. That is a fact.
It is a fact that we only won 4 conference games, and 8 on the year. It is a fact that attendance has dropped over the last several years. It is a fact that Sherri gave Colton a job as an assistant and upset a lot of OU fans. It is a fact that we had no height on this years team. It is a fact that we had no seniors that started, and no juniors still on the team. And it is certainly a fact that many fans are upset with the results, and quite a few of them have quit attending wbb games, and are upset with the lack of having a quality team. I am not sure what facts I brought up that you disagree with, but they are still facts.
Change of results needs to happen. More wins. Better play from players we have, and a more complete team. It is up to the AD and the HC to decide how, but if it does not change for the better, the OU wbb team will be playing to an audience of family members only, and that would be very sad

I will give an illustration of something I consider completely insane, and it is the way people on message boards think.

---right now, there is a thread on robocoach (a softball board) on Florida softball

-----a couple of these posters have decided that Murphy (the coach of Florida) needs to be fired immediately. They can't score and have no offense.

----they say that the offense has been going downhill for years

----Murphy can't recruit and isn't doing anything about it.

Now, a couple of facts:

---Florida's rotation includes two freshmen and a sophomore
---Florida is 21-4
---Florida State won the title last year
---Oklahoma won the title the two previous years
---Florida had won it the previous two years and had the all-time greatest championship series against OU when they lost it to OU.

---it has been three years (reference "going downhill for years)

Ok...but who cares. What is "INSANE" is continuing to do the same thing while expecting a different result. Now that is insanity.

Syb,I know your knowlegeable about the great iconic Sherri Coale & the history of her reign of the University of Oklahoma womens basketball(because you frequently let most of us know),but is there anything that SC can do that is wrong in your 110% sunshine pumping propaganda???I have tried to come up with an answer and the only logicalone is that you are SC's social media manager.

I am puzzled about why some of you spend all your time being mad at other posters instead of talking about the team.

Who cares what someone else thinks? Do you really think your life - or the world itself - is changed by what some poster on a message board thinks? Why let that person determine what your feelings and thoughts are?

Think for yourself. Instead of hating the poster, be smart enough to actually post facts that help them "See the Light" that you see. Of course that approach may end up causing you to realize your "light" is filled with "darkness". ;)

I am puzzled about why some of you spend all your time being mad at other posters instead of talking about the team.

Who cares what someone else thinks? Do you really think your life - or the world itself - is changed by what some poster on a message board thinks? Why let that person determine what your feelings and thoughts are?

Think for yourself. Instead of hating the poster, be smart enough to actually post facts that help them "See the Light" that you see. Of course that approach may end up causing you to realize your "light" is filled with "darkness". ;)
Wow. That's heavy pee-wee.

Syb, you attention deprived, forever loyal puppy, you.

This board shouldn’t be turned into a “hate” Sherri board!

We can wait until after next year to do that!

But I would suggest we turn this board immediately into a “hate” Syb board.

We’d probably immediately attract about another 5,000 members at least!

Does anyone like you , Syb? Even your family?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fact 8-22 Sherri could never had done this without the help from Colton

Syb,I know your knowlegeable about the great iconic Sherri Coale & the history of her reign of the University of Oklahoma womens basketball(because you frequently let most of us know),but is there anything that SC can do that is wrong in your 110% sunshine pumping propaganda???I have tried to come up with an answer and the only logicalone is that you are SC's social media manager.

either her social media manager or related to her.

The only thing that is a fact is she made the statement. Winning a national championship before they left is an opinion. Before that natty becomes a fact Madi and about 7 other team members are going to have to learn how to play Divison I basketball, develop a Basketball IQ, learn to make a shot from any distance and win more games in a season than they lose.

Another opinion: The odds of OU winning a natty before they leave is slim and none. Ditto winning the Big 12.

That is so laughable. Madi gave an absolute ridiculous OPINION and you stated its a FACT. My opinion is that her quote is stupid and they will never win the conference or get close. Now if someone would please quote me, it would be a fact. Is it an opinion or fact that Sherri is stealing from the university?

Back