Post Season Activity For OU Forum Fans

Has there ever been a NCAA Div. I WBB coach to retain their job with the consistent decline such as OU's? More specifically, in the Big XII? If JConradt had the decency to "step-up" and leave as the head coach after not reaching the NCAA tournament for two years in a row, wouldn't it seem reasonable that this would be the year SC takes a graceful bow out to a university position and try to retain some sense of dignity? At least JConradt won a NC and achieved so much more for women's sports including basketball. If OU's WBB program is truly viewed as a business (as other departments in the university), then why is it run like it's not? There are not any camps for youth (marketing and relationship building atrocity). The epitome of nepotism. If PSummitt (RIP) didn't hire her son, it seems no one in WBB would do this. Couldn't he get a referral to one of the local high schools or OCU or ANYWHERE other than OU WBB? All of the assistants friends and have not had much success with recruiting. And when decent players have been signed in recent years...they leave. There have been other players that left over the years as well. Is anyone asking "why" or were ALL of them shoplifting, skipping class, partying all night long, missing practice, etc., etc.? Why would an assistant leave who had been her former HS player and one of the better recruiters? Or do the powers that be allow the program to sink even lower before trying to resurrect AGAIN. Just does not make any kind of basketball, business or common sense.

I have been following OU women BB since 1998 and Sherri’s 2nd year. She has done magnificent things at OU and that should not ever be discounted.

Is it time for a change? Probably.

But Sherri is such an asset to the university. She could remain in a position that accents her talents, should she choose. Perhaps a position like Marita Haynes held for so long.

I just can’t see vilifying a person who brought so much positive attention to the women’s BB program. Those will always stay with the program.

Watching Stacey Dales this weekend, I have been reminded what special teams Sherri put together because of blue collar, hard nosed kids. Not sure that formula works anymore as players have gotten so much more athletic and a guard oriented team doesn’t always work in today's basketball world. You just cannot survive without height, period.

There was an ominous post on Twitter Friday that an announcement was coming about some women’s Big 12 coach perhaps as early as Monday. We will see, I can see OSU’s coach on the same hot seat.

Maybe Joe could tell Sherri she must resign in 2 years and hire a coach in waiting to take over the job when she goes.

I have been following OU women BB since 1998 and Sherri’s 2nd year. She has done magnificent things at OU and that should not ever be discounted.

Is it time for a change? Probably.

But Sherri is such an asset to the university. She could remain in a position that accents her talents, should she choose. Perhaps a position like Marita Haynes held for so long.

I just can’t see vilifying a person who brought so much positive attention to the women’s BB program. Those will always stay with the program.

Watching Stacey Dales this weekend, I have been reminded what special teams Sherri put together because of blue collar, hard nosed kids. Not sure that formula works anymore as players have gotten so much more athletic and a guard oriented team doesn’t always work in today's basketball world. You just cannot survive without height, period.

There was an ominous post on Twitter Friday that an announcement was coming about some women’s Big 12 coach perhaps as early as Monday. We will see, I can see OSU’s coach on the same hot seat.

I've been a fan and supported the program since the SDales days. Do I call it like it is from my view and perspective (opinion and some facts)? Yes. "Vilifying" might be a little strong way of describing comments/opinions as that seems to bring the connotation of abusive comments. And when one is a public figure in such a position, he/she is subject to comments good, bad, indifferent.

Yes, there are many great occurrences that have taken place while SC has been captain of the ship, however, there are so many caveats. Most of those greats are directly correlated to someone other than SC. And with all of the great things, there are some real stingers that seem so far off the track to the demise of the program and it makes it really hard for serious basketball fans to continue to support the program.

I agree that she should take the route of Marita "Hynes" as an administrator focusing on maintaining relationships with the booster clubs and fund development. But IMHO, she should not have any involvement in the day to day operations, coaching or staffing of the WBB program. Allow a new coach to come in and create their own without SC's involvement. She had some really good players to come through the program who were successful during their eras based on their skill set and without the greatest of game time coaching and development. Thank God! You can't coach desire, chemistry, work ethic, passion and attitude. The program was also able to get alot of media coverage based on some players who come from high profile families. SC was blessed with some great opportunities and I have the opinion that she did not build on those opportunities, but made the program more about her and seemingly alot of micro management. And if we think former players (or even those who transferred) are going to publicly state their REAL feelings about their days in the program in a public way...not going to happen and shouldn't.

Maybe Joe could tell Sherri she must resign in 2 years and hire a coach in waiting to take over the job when she goes.

IMHO...not a good idea in this situation. Maybe if the program had not continued to sink to this level. A clean break is needed with a great up and coming coach who has the strong potential to revive the legacy.

The only thing that is a fact is she made the statement. Winning a national championship before they left is an opinion. Before that natty becomes a fact Madi and about 7 other team members are going to have to learn how to play Divison I basketball, develop a Basketball IQ, learn to make a shot from any distance and win more games in a season than they lose.

Another opinion: The odds of OU winning a natty before they leave is slim and none. Ditto winning the Big 12.

It is a fact that she made the statement.

Your attitude toward her opinion should cause you some concern. A young member of the team who expressed an opinion can be regarded as a stupid, uninformed kid, or perhaps as someone who recognizes the talent on the team as well as the talent of those coming in and perhaps an awareness of the spirit and determination that she and others have. Which road did you choose to take?

I wonder if Madi may have some facts available to her that message board posters might not have.

---as Leroy reminds us, Madi has played a game against Gabby Gregory

---if it is true that Chloe Bloom has been working out with the team since her arrival, Madi might have seen enough to know of her potential.

---if is possible that Madi and Liz Scott have crossed paths in high school or AAU action.

---Madi may have seen a lot more of Aspen Williston than we have.

---Madi may have some idea of prospects they are recruiting.

Or, I guess that we could just assume that Madi has no idea what she is talking about.

I did notice that a freshman who finished #22 in the Big Twelve in scoring (11.2) and #6 in the conference in rebounding (8.0) received no attention for all-freshman honors.

If you are expecting Sherri Coale to resign on Monday, it is possible. Yet, her press conference sounded like someone who is still active in recruiting, and I doubt that she wants to leave before the incoming recruits graduate or at least get their feet firmly on the ground.

She may not have a say in when she leaves if she produces another season like this one.

My guess is that if we crater again next season Joe C will give her the opportunity to resign/retire with grace and probably be given a nice, cushy job with a hefty salary doing some made up crap for the university.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. Most likely she stays on for the next season because of Maddie & Robertson showing potential and Scott and Gregory coming in. if nothing develops next season and we still lose more games than we win she's most definitely out of the door. If we have another pathetic season, and she's not out of the door at that point, I'm no longer and OU women's basketball fan.

I did notice that a freshman who finished #22 in the Big Twelve in scoring (11.2) and #6 in the conference in rebounding (8.0) received no attention for all-freshman honors.

The third or forth best player on a 4-14 conference record team doesn't usually get much recognition.

Usually no one knows their names or can pronounce them. EJ is an example.

If what Auntie said is true, Sherri might (I use that word with great trepidation because Sherri doing anything to change what's going on is highly unlikely in my opinion), BUT if it's an especially harsh evaluation from Joe, she might have to let Pam or Chad go to signify her willing to shake things up.

She sure is Hell is never firing Jan.

I will give an illustration of something I consider completely insane, and it is the way people on message boards think.

---right now, there is a thread on robocoach (a softball board) on Florida softball

-----a couple of these posters have decided that Murphy (the coach of Florida) needs to be fired immediately. They can't score and have no offense.

----they say that the offense has been going downhill for years

----Murphy can't recruit and isn't doing anything about it.

Now, a couple of facts:

---Florida's rotation includes two freshmen and a sophomore
---Florida is 21-4
---Florida State won the title last year
---Oklahoma won the title the two previous years
---Florida had won it the previous two years and had the all-time greatest championship series against OU when they lost it to OU.

---it has been three years (reference "going downhill for years)

Have I lost my mind? or not been paying attention? Isn't Tim Walton the coach at Florida? Who the heck is Murphy?

Have I lost my mind? or not been paying attention? Isn't Tim Walton the coach at Florida? Who the heck is Murphy?

You are right. Somehow, the name of the Bama coach was stuck in my mind when thinking of Florida.

Bama probably has pretty high expectations for their softball team. If they haven't been winning lately (and I don't know as I don't follow them), they do probably want him gone. That's the life of a coach. They all know it going in. Win and stay, lose too much and go. Replacement is based on win/loss records or a scandal. That's it in a nutshell.
Why is it different for Sherri?

Last edited:
I agree with Syb. Show mw some facts and I will make a recommendation. All I have seen here is rumor, assumptions and speculation. But here is ONE fact I adhere to: Joe C is one of the best, if not THE best AD in Div 1 sports. I place my full faith and confidence in Joe to assess the situation, analyze the situation and take the necessary action, if any.

I am a dedicated fan of OU sports, WBB and softball in particular. I have followed the WBB program since before Sherri and remember the season that OU ended the Sooners WBB program. During the initial day of the WBB Big Dance all of the other WBB teams wore red and white ribbons on their uniforms to honor and protest? OU's discontinuance. Even tho I was over 350 years old I sat in front of the TV and cried like a baby. Several years later OU was playing for the WBB championship. I am giving Sherri the benefit of the doubt until the facts, if any, show me otherwise. "Live on, university!"

NO, I was not over 350. I was over 50. Also, I follow OU football in particular. And I can't type anymore apparently.

Bama probably has pretty high expectations for their softball team. If they haven't been winning lately (and I don't know as I don't follow them), they do probably want him gone. That's the life of a coach. They all know it going in. Win and stay, lose too much and go. Replacement is based on win/loss records or a scandal. That's it in a nutshell.

25-0 for the season YTD. Wins over Maryland, Arizona, Minnesota (2), Michigan State and Missouri (3). Not a particularly tough schedule. Play A&M, MSU, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Kentucky and LSU. So things will get tough for them finishing out the season. Could easily have a half dozen or more losses.

https://rolltide.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=475

I need to clarify. As Bob the Nailer pointed out, Tim Walton, the coach of Florida is the one under fire on message boards. I suspect that he is very popular with the Florida administration.

Alabama has had a couple of leaner years, by their hopes. This happens to be the best year that Bama has had recently. I don't know that Murphy has ever been under any fire..

I will try to get back here to post any updates on OU recruiting or news during the offseason. I thought of this board when I read Guerin's weekend column, because as you all know, Coach Coale coached Norman High before she came to OU.

So, who is coaching Norman High now, and more specifically, who is coaching them to the 6A state title?

Remember Michael Neal, the Oklahoma 3-point marksman who was Big 12 Newcomer of the Year in 2006? He just coached the Norman High girls to a Class 6A state championship.

That’s nice if you are an OU fan, but even nicer for me.

When Neal decided to coach, he cut his teeth with the Alcott Middle School seventh grade boys in 2011. My son played on that team.

I remember driving Holden to practice before dawn. I never remember him complaining about it, mostly because he loved every minute of that season. He loved every minute with Coach Neal.

It’s pretty great when parents can trust coaches to help develop their children. I owe Neal for helping develop Holden that one winter in Norman.

I love that Neal is still impacting kids. I loved that he just won a gold ball while doing so.

Maybe hed be a great addition to the staff? Replace Colton and put him in there. I'm sure he'd help with recruiting. He's got more credibility that's for sure.

Back