Practice 8/5/13

garyeb2

Reaction score
The practice wasn't particularly crisp. Shots were hitting the front rim. Legs were probably pretty tired. It was a spirited practice and they accomplished a lot.

They worked on inbounds plays some and inbounds with a short shot clock. They were polishing offense more than defense. They finished up with two 5 minute games.

The outside shooter today was Booker. He did a really fine job of getting to spots where he had a little space and knocking them down. Hornbeak also was hitting his 3's pretty good. In the 5 minute games Woodard scored several times by getting to the rim and he fired in sharp passes over and over. Cousins scored well in the games. But, his were coming off steals more than anything else.

The redshirts for the first part of the practice and the 1st game were Woodard, Cousins, Hornbeak, Cam, and Spangler. Spangler and Bennett jumped center. Bennett is suppose to get him, but, Spangler out quicked Bennett to the ball. Again, the game was a mismatch. The reds had too much for the whites. For the 2nd game Bennett, Booker, and Tyler came over to the reds. Hornbeak ran the point and they went with two bigs. Spangler was at a high post and Bennett in the low. Bennett looks more relaxed and is better when he is in with Spangler than when he is the lone big. The whites were Woodard at the point along with Cousins, Cam, Cole, and a walk on. For what to me was a bit of an upset, the whites got them with a little to spare.

The group made really good progress over this two weeks. Individually Woodard really came along and these practice helped Booker a lot too. After this trip and a couple of weeks off, they will come back in weeks and weeks ahead of the teams from the past two seasons.

I've tried to be objective with these little write ups. But now I want to finish up with some opinions. Hopefully, what I have picked up from the practice gym will keep me from being too far off. Unless Woodard falls apart in the face of foreign competition, the point guard competition is probably over. I think he will do fine in the exhibition games and the job will be his to lose going forward.

When Buddy gets back my prediction for a starting line up is Woodard, Buddy, Cousins, Cam, and Spangler. Hornbeak as a 6th man backing up two positions and getting starter minutes. Bennett in early and often for both Spangler and Cam. Near starter minutes for him too. Past that, Tyler then Booker will probably be every game subs. I don't expect much help from Cole or any one else that is around now. I don't know anything about the Juco's. I talked to a couple of people that would know and gave them a chance to say something about it. Nothing.

There are some people around saying that with the youth and the lack of a legit big man, 18 or 19 wins and a NIT would be a good season for this bunch. I'm not buying any of that. From one thru seven they have a big chance to be better than they were last year. They would have to stay injury free and the guards would have to keep progressing, but, I would put the over under number at 21 and bet the over.

Wow Hornbeak off the bench? There were a lot of times last year he was our best/most consistent player not named Romero Osby. If this does happen I'm excited for Cousins and our chances to make a return trip to the NCAA tournament. Many will talk about lack of depth on the interior but college basketball is still a guard oriented game and we have a good bunch of them.

Thanks for the updates!!

Thanks for the write ups. I looked forward to reading each one. Now how are you going to get to Europe and keep us posted from there?

hahahaha

I really don't understand how you can expect the team to be improved from last year. Nothing you've said about these practices indicate that the players have taken the massive leaps necessary to replace the 4 best players from last year's team, all of whom are gone. Certainly not Osby and M'baye.

If Neal is our #2 off the bench, pain lots of pain.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I really don't understand how you can expect the team to be improved from last year. Nothing you've said about these practices indicate that the players have taken the massive leaps necessary to replace the 4 best players from last year's team, all of whom are gone. Certainly not Osby and M'baye.

I think that you are concentrating on what we lost more than you are on what we have gained.

1. Woodard is an upgrade over Grooms.
2. Cam will equal if not better M'Baye's production from last season.
3. This years edition of Hornbeak, Cousins, and Buddy are a significant upgrade over last years version.
4. Spangler isn't some stiff that we have to try to just get by with. He looks like the kind of player that can step right in and score 8-10 and get 7-8 rebounds. Then just get better from there.
5. Bennett can defend and rebound right now better the Fitz ever could.
6. Team speed and athleticism is at a completely different level.
7. They will defend much better and rebound at least as well.

Every one is entitled to their opinion. A different person could have set thru those practices and come to a different conclusion. I just gave you mine.

3rd off the bench. If I was Kruger I would play with 7.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Hamilton will be off the bench as the the 3rd option in the post, and more minutes than TNeal

My two cents on the guards.

Based on what I saw in the three practices that I attended, including the one today, OU has a very nice “problem” at guard. The freshmen (Woodard and Booker) keep getting better and better, as they grow into capable college players right before our eyes. Woodard is getting more comfortable and passed out a few “slick” assists today, including a beautifully timed and placed bounce pass from the “elbow area” through the defense to Spangler for an easy bucket. (It is nice to have a post player that can take advantage of such a nice pass!) No doubt that Woodard will go through rough patches as a freshman point guard early in the season, but I believe overall PG play will be improved compared to last season. Given an opening, he can attack the paint, as he did when he hit a nice “floating runner” today. Jordan’s outside shot was not consistent today, but he clearly has the capability to be a fine shot from outside. As Gary points out in the OP, many shots were coming up short today, as two weeks of practice have made for tired legs.

Booker looked every bit the sharp-shooter from long-range today. He was good when he got his chances in the scrimmages, and he was wearing out the bottom of the net during shooting drills. Booker also shows a determination to succeed, to get better, to be coached. He shares these very positive traits with all the other guards.

Both Hornbeak and Cousins have improved. They are just better basketball players than they were a year ago. I only attended one practice where Buddy participated, and he looked better also. As a group, the guards have length (with 4 guards around 6’4” tall), quickness and athleticism. They also have youth. Freshmen and sophomores. Youth will be served. These guys are basketball players and they are coachable. All seem to have a good attitude. All treat their teammates like teammates.

Perimeter defense will be improved over last season.

It should be SO MUCH FUN to watch these guys develop and come together as a group over the next several seasons. There is a future 1st team all-conference guard on this team, I just don’t know which one it will be. Which one will have the highest ceiling, and will he continue to work hard to reach that ceiling? It may be Cousins. It could be one of the others.

garyeb2: When Buddy gets back my prediction for a starting line up is Woodard, Buddy, Cousins, Cam, and Spangler. Hornbeak as a 6th man backing up two positions and getting starter minutes.

This gets back to the nice “problem” at guard. Gary could be correct in his prediction, but Hornbeak is good enough to be a starting guard. He started 29 of 32 games as a freshman last season. From what I observed in practice, Hornbeak does not want to give up his starting spot. He is battling hard each and every day. When practices start back up around October 15th, I plan to head back to the LNC practice court to watch the battle continue.

I think that you are concentrating on what we lost more than you are on what we have gained.

1. Woodard is an upgrade over Grooms.
2. Cam will equal if not better M'Baye's production from last season.
3. This years edition of Hornbeak, Cousins, and Buddy are a significant upgrade over last years version.
4. Spangler isn't some stiff that we have to try to just get by with. He looks like the kind of player that can step right in and score 8-10 and get 7-8 rebounds. Then just get better from there.
5. Bennett can defend and rebound right now better the Fitz ever could.
6. Team speed and athleticism is at a completely different level.
7. They will defend much better and rebound at least as well.

Every one is entitled to their opinion. A different person could have set thru those practices and come to a different conclusion. I just gave you mine.

There is an old saying attributed to Groucho Marx ... “Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes?”

Well, after watching several practices with my own eyes, I agree with everything that Gary says here.

The one thing that may be missing is the positive leadership that Osby provided last season. We cannot know where this will come from until the lights go on for real games next season. My gut-feeling is that this will also be improved, as I expect that several players will step-up into leadership roles. Osby set a good example last season that probably was NOT lost on the returning players.

Osby was clearly the best player on the team last season. This distinction will not be so clear in 2013-14, as a multiple-choice answer may be more applicable.

so Buddy and Jel'on weren't in our top four players last year?

you should have seen the battles at practice between M'baye/Roe and DJ/Spangler.. they won't lead the team in scoring this year, but they will be a force in the Big 12

so Buddy and Jel'on weren't in our top four players last year?

No. They will end up being better than guys like Grooms and Pledger, but they weren't last year as true freshmen.

I just don't see a team relying almost exclusively on freshmen and sophomores is going to outperform a team that had 4 seniors and 2 juniors in its 9 man rotation.

We are set up for a very nice team in a couple of years, but I really don't see it happening next year.

No. They will end up being better than guys like Grooms and Pledger, but they weren't last year as true freshmen.

I just don't see a team relying almost exclusively on freshmen and sophomores is going to outperform a team that had 4 seniors and 2 juniors in its 9 man rotation.

We are set up for a very nice team in a couple of years, but I really don't see it happening next year.

Buddy last year was 4th in points, 3rd in rebounding, 2nd in assists, 1st in steals, and was an energy machine.

Gary,

Thank you for taking the time to do this. I enjoyed reading about the team and I have come to really respect your opinion. You have made me much more optimistic about OU's chances next season. I hope the trip to Europe helps the team and they can win 21 games like you have suggested.

Thanks again guys for all the reports, observations, opinions, etc., during this special pre-Europe two week period. It's all good stuff and I find it very easy to agree with what I'm hearing.

It's easy because I believe what you're telling us and I believe it because I think it's pretty much what we all should be projecting from what we already know and should expect.

For example, the three Soph guards are much better than last year, more athletic and disciplined and more capable of playing great defense. Mix talented guys, with a very good coaching staff and a lot of hard work and we all believe it can happen, and we expect it.

I would add Spangler to that same group, and for that matter Bennett too. They've all been here a year, they're talented to varying extents and hungry for success. Under these conditions YOUNG players will nearly always respond positively within the limits of their talent.

Woodard is still a question simply because of his inexperience at the D-1 level, but I believe he can do it.It's still to be done.

Cam is still a question simply because he's Cam, but if he could have the kind of year we all know know is hiding within him, M'Baye would be a fading memory.

We'll miss Roe's production and leadership, a player who just willed himself to improve significantly from his JR to SR year. However, I think the production is there on this team. Maybe, even though this will be a young team, we won't need the kind and amount of leadership that Roe provided. These young kids have confidence that they acquired thru fire last year, and that will take them a long way.

One thing to consider for this team is to keep an open mind. It is a different group. Roe's leadership and his offense as the #1 option will be missed. However, it is entirely possible every other part of this team will be improved from last year. As Gary has pointed out, our athleticism has improved dramatically. The 3 SO guards look like men and these 2 FR guards will be good. It makes for a potentially diverse and dangerous perimeter. Also as Gary has mentioned, Spangler and Bennett aren't just some 'guys' inside. Developing depth inside, consistent outside shooting, and efficient offense is what separates this group from being in the tourney. Cam will have a lot to say about that. As is and barring a crippling injury, this is at no worst a solid bubble team and, if Cam can exceed MBayes production as Gary believes, 20+ wins and the tourney are there. Krugers history is for teams to continue to improve and I don't see this group sliding from what last years team accomplished.

I got a lesson in practice watching from a professional practice watcher the other day. It is something that I should have known. But, until it was articulated to me it hadn't come into perspective.

He asked me to think back over the last two years and remember how many players had ever strung together 3 or more good practices in a row. That is good practices within that particular players capabilities. The answer was one. And only one. Osby. M'Baye did when he was sitting out that year. But, when they moved him inside and it was for real. Nope. Cam, nope. None of them other than Osby.

He said that they were all capable of having a good practice or two, but, they couldn't be counted on to be productive in games on a consistent basis until they had shown the ability to string together 3 or more good practices.

Some of the mistakes that I have made in evaluating players can be traced to my assigning a value to them based on the best of what I saw of them once or twice in a row or one or twice every so often. I got too high on M'Baye because I saw what he was capable of every so often. Same with Cousins last season. He was very good every once in awhile. But, neither of them were ever very good 3 times in a row.

This year, considering the 10 pre trip practices, these players have strung together 3 or more good practices in a row.
1. Hornbeak
2. Cousins
3. Spangler
4. Cam
Buddy didn't have a chance because he got hurt. But, he was at 2 when he went down. Woodard could be included if outside shooting didn't count. The rest of them have all had their days. But, they haven't had 3 of them in a row.

Without the 3 in a row, you don't really know what you are looking at. With the 3 in a row rule , it all comes into better focus.

I'm some higher than most on this group because they seem to have at least 5 and probably 6 good but not yet great players that are capable of being consistent real game producers. That is way better shape that they have been in since Kruger's arrival.

Last edited:
Back