Practice 8/5/13

I got a lesson in practice watching from a professional practice watcher the other day. It is something that I should have known. But, until it was articulated to me it hadn't come into perspective.

He asked me to think back over the last two years and remember how many players had ever strung together 3 or more good practices in a row. That is good practices within that particular players capabilities. The answer was one. And only one. Osby. M'Baye did when he was sitting out that year. But, when they moved him inside and it was for real. Nope. Cam, nope. None of them other than Osby.

He said that they were all capable of having a good practice or two, but, they couldn't be counted on to be productive in games on a consistent basis until they had shown the ability to string together 3 or more good practices.

Some of the mistakes that I have made in evaluating players can be traced to my assigning a value to them based on the best of what I saw of them once or twice in a row or one or twice every so often. I got too high on M'Baye because I saw what he was capable of every so often. Same with Cousins last season. He was very good every once in awhile. But, neither of them were ever very good 3 times in a row.

This year, considering the 10 pre trip practices, these players have strung together 3 or more good practices in a row.
1. Hornbeak
2. Cousins
3. Spangler
4. Cam
Buddy didn't have a chance because he got hurt. But, he was at 2 when he went down. Woodard could be included if outside shooting didn't count. The rest of them have all had their days. But, they haven't had 3 of them in a row.

Without the 3 in a row, you don't really know what you are looking at. With the 3 in a row rule , it all comes into better focus.

I'm some higher than most on this group because they seem to have at least 5 and probably 6 good but not yet great players that are capable of being consistent real game producers. That is way better shape that they have been in since Kruger's arrival.

Thanks for this post, Gary. I'm not a practice watcher at all, but I can understand the value of consistently good practice players.

I have no idea how good this team will be this SEASON OR HOW IT COMPARES TO LAST SEASON'S SQUAD.What I do know is that I am excited about the possibilities of this team and can't wait for the season to start.

... What I do know is that I am excited about the possibilities of this team and can't wait for the season to start.

I love your enthusiasm. I share your enthusiasm. November 2nd and the first exhibition game cannot arrive fast enough.

Also, I would love to become a "professional practice watcher." With Coach Kruger's open practice policy, the opportunity is there.

Back