G- Lance Jeter (Nebraska)
G- David Tairu (Texas Tech)
G- Marquis Gilstrap (Iowa State)
F- Ekpe Udoh (Baylor)
F- Marcus Relphorde (Colorado)

Big 12 All Freshman Team
G- Avery Bradley (Texas)
G- Xavier Henry (Kansas)
G- J'Covan Brown (Texas) or Tommy Mason-Griffin (Oklahoma)
F- Tiny Gallon (Oklahoma)
F- Wally Judge (Kansas State)

Big 12 All Newcomer Team
G- Jai Lucas (Texas)
G- Curtis Kelly (Kansas State)
F- Matt Pilgrim (Oklahoma State)
C- Ekpe Udoh (Baylor)

Big 12 All Freshman Team
G- Avery Bradley (Texas)
G- Xavier Henry (Kansas)
G- J'Covan Brown (Texas)

Big 12 All Newcomer Team
G- Lance Jeter (Nebraska)
G- David Tairu (Texas Tech)
F- Ekpe Udoh (Baylor)
F- Marcus Relphorde (Colorado)

Do you think Bradley and Brown both start for Texas? I think one of them comes off the bench and therefore does not make the all-freshman team. I think Balbay and Mason both get lots of minutes. I also think Lucas could be in the mix for some minutes and Ward did get time last season.

Big 12 All Freshman Team
G- Avery Bradley (Texas)
G- Xavier Henry (Kansas)
F- Dragan Sekelja (Baylor)

Big 12 All Newcomer Team
G- Jai Lucas (Texas)
G- David Tairu (Tech)
F- Matt Pilgrim (Oklahoma State)
C- Ekpe Udoh (Baylor)

Texas has 3 guards that could make the freshman team- Bradley, Hamilton and Brown. But as DenverSooner said... there is no way more than one make it. There is just not enough playing time to go around and it is doubtful that Mason, Balbay and Lucas sit on the bench while those young guys play together. Someone is going to be transferring out of Brown, Williams or Hamilton. Not enough minutes to satiate those egos.

I know you all will think I'm seeing this through green and gold glasses, but Sekelja will likely make the all-freshman team. He will get a lot of the minutes in the post for Baylor after Udoh and Acy. His skill level is very high- understands pick and roll basketball; drives to the basket from the wing and finishes with dunk attempts which leads to FT opportunities; etc...

He averaged 19 pts, 10 rebs and 3 blocks for one of the strongest programs in Europe- Cibona Zagreb (basically the amateur farm system for the pro leagues). Jerry Meyer at Rivals has said that he is a 5-star prospect if he played in the US. I talked with a Baylor coach and they have been surprised by how good he is and his work ethic so far. He is the definite wildcard for Baylor. If he is as good as advertised, Baylor will be a surprise team.

I'll go with Judge as Freshman of the year and Udoh as Newcomer of the year.

But Gallon is likely to start at OU not just get minutes. I don't think a guy coming off the bench will make the all freshman team. I think they will go with 4 guards before they do that.

But Gallon is likely to start at OU not just get minutes. I don't think a guy coming off the bench will make the all freshman team. I think they will go with 4 guards before they do that.

You might be right- TMG is the only one I see getting lots of minutes. If you look at the freshmen guards as talented as they are around the big 12... you have experienced good players ahead of you and that is why I chose three forwards for the all-freshman team:

OU- Griffin (Warren, Crocker, Davis)
UT- Bradley, Brown, Hamilton, Williams (Lucas, Balbay, Mason)
KU- Henry, Johnson (Collins, Morningstar, Taylor, Releford)
Baylor- Dennis, Walton, McLaughlin (Carter, Dunn)
Mizzou- Dixon (English, Taylor, Tiller, Paul, Denmon)
Iowa St- Colvin (Garrett, Staiger, Gilstrap)
KSt- McGruder, Russell (Pullen, Clemente, Sutton)
Colorado- Sharpe (Tomlinson, Thorne, Higgins)
OSU- Penn, Dowell, Gulley (Page, Anderson, Muonelo)
A&M- Middleton (Sloan, Roland, Harris, Holmes)
Tech- Davis (Tairu, Okorie, Roberson)
Nebraska- too complicated to follow; need a PHD in forensics...

Back