Preseason All-Americans >>> Jeff Goodman

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
Source Link

Look who is COY baby!!! :jcapel

Good to see Willie getting some major love. I agree with him, and think that Willie will be the clear cut, best player in the conference by the year's end. I am trying not to be a huge homer here, but I just don't think that many folks have seen the real Willie Warren. The dude is a gamer, and this year is his team, so Big 12, WATCH OUT!

I would switch Favors and Aldrich, but other than that, I think he put together a really good list.

------------------------

Player of the Year
John Wall, Kentucky: PG, 6-3 ½, 193, Fr.
Kevin Durant was the National Player of the Year three years ago, and Derrick Rose was the best player in the country two seasons ago. Don't be shocked if Wall, playing in the same system as Rose, is equally as dominant — especially the second half of the season. He's big, strong, quick and can run a team.

Freshman of the Year
Derrick Favors, Georgia Tech: C, 6-10, 235, Fr.
Since we're giving Wall the POY award, we'll give the Freshman of the Year to the Yellow Jackets' big man. He could turn into an Alonzo Mourning type.

Coach of the Year
Jeff Capel, Oklahoma: Fourth year, 69-63 overall
The Sooners lost all-everything big man Blake Griffin and will be picked a distant third (at best) behind Kansas and Texas in the Big 12, but my gut says Capel — one of the elite young coaches in the country — will get this group led by guards Willie Warren and Tommy Mason-Griffin further than people anticipate.

Preseason All-Americans
First Team

Kyle Singler, Duke: SF, 6-7, 225, Jr.
2008-09 stats: 16.5 ppg, 7.7 rpg, 2.4 apg, 1.5 spg, 1.0 bpg
One of the most versatile players in the country, Singler will be relied on by the Blue Devils even more with the loss of Gerald Henderson Jr. Singler should be even more effective with the influx of big guys that will allow him to move to his natural spot on the wing.

Luke Harangody, Notre Dame: PF, 6-8, 240, Sr.
2008-09 stats: 23.3 ppg, 11.8 rpg
He's the first player in Big East history to lead the league in scoring and rebounding in successive seasons. He's also the only one to rank in the top 10 nationally in scoring and rebounding last year.

Derrick Favors, Georgia Tech: C, 6-10, 235, Fr.
2008-09 stats: N/A
The former South Atlanta High (Ga.) star is big, strong and athletic. In fact, there's not much he can't do on the court. He dominates in the post, is a force on the glass and is also a big-time shot-blocker. Favors will likely challenge John Wall for Freshman of the Year honors.

Don't be surprised if Wall pulls a Derrick Rose and steadily progresses over the season. It may take him time, but his talent is unquestionable. He's super quick, strong and can make those around him better. The one concern is his perimeter shot, but that was same for Rose.

Willie Warren, Oklahoma: SG, 6-4, 205, Soph.
2008-09 stats: 14.6 ppg, 3.1 apg, 2.2 rpg, 37% 3-pointers
With the departure of Blake Griffin, it's Warren's show. He's a prolific scorer, but the key will be his leadership. Warren also needs to become more well-rounded and make his teammates better.

Second Team

Al-Farouq Aminu, Wake Forest: SF, 6-8, 218, Soph.
2008-09 stats: 12.9 ppg, 8.2 rpg
Jeff Teague and James Johnson left early for the NBA, so now Aminu becomes the go-to guy. He's versatile and athletic but still needs to become a more consistent perimeter shooter.

Patrick Patterson, Kentucky: PF, 6-8, 225, Jr.
2008-09 stats: 17.9 ppg, 9.3 rpg
He's all about production. Patterson will be a double-double machine this season, especially with the up-tempo style that will be employed in Lexington.

Cole Aldrich, Kansas: C, 6-11, 242, Jr.
2008-09 stats: 14.9 ppg, 11.1 rpg, 2.7 bpg
After a freshman season in which he played a role coming off the bench for the Jayhawks' national title team, the long and athletic big man emerged last season as one of the top centers in the country, averaging a double-double.

Sherron Collins, Kansas: PG, 5-11 ½, 210, Sr.
2008-09 stats: 18.9 ppg, 5.0 apg, 2.9 rpg
The stocky, yet athletic floor leader from Chicago has a 91-16 mark in his three years in Lawrence. He's quick enough to get to the basket and strong enough to finish. He can also make shots from the perimeter and make life easier for his teammates.

Manny Harris, Michigan: SG, 6-5 ½, 183, Jr.
2008-09 stats: 16.9 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 4.4 apg
He was the primary reason why the Wolverines jumped out to a quick start last season. The Detroit native thrived in John Beilein's system and was able to show his versatile skill set.

Third Team

Gordon Hayward, Butler: SF, 6-8, 215, Soph.
2008-09 stats: 13.1 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 45% 3-pointer
The skilled forward can do it all — shoot, pass, handle and even defend. He's no longer a secret after averaging 13.1 points and 6.5 boards per game last year.

Craig Brackins, Iowa State: PF, 6-10, 230, Jr.
2008-09 stats: 20.2 ppg, 9.5 rpg
Long and extremely skilled, Brackins burst onto the national scene a year ago after a 42-point performance against Kansas. It wasn't a fluke, either, as he averaged 20.2 points and 9.5 boards per contest.

Ed Davis, North Carolina: C, 6-10, 215, Soph.
2008-09 stats: 6.7 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 1.7 bpg
He was a role guy on last year's national title team, averaging less than 20 minutes per game. But now that Tyler Hansbrough is gone, Davis will become a star. He's long and showed glimpses of his potential last season. He's a big-time shot-blocker who can also score around the basket.

Kalin Lucas, Michigan State: PG, 6-0 ½, 185, Jr.
2008-09 stats: 14.7 ppg, 4.6 apg, 39% 3-pointers
He helped lead the Spartans to the championship game last season and is one of the nation's elite floor leaders. He's quick, pushes the ball and sets his teammates up for easy baskets.

Avery Bradley, Texas: SG, 6-2 ½, 180, Fr.
Don't expect eye-popping offensive numbers, especially from a freshman on a deep and talented Texas team. Bradley will be a solid offensive player, but his defense is what stands apart from just about everyone else and what also got him onto this list.

Fourth Team

Robbie Hummel, Purdue: SF, 6-8, 210, Jr.
2008-09 stats: 12.5 ppg, 7.0 rpg
The versatile Boilermakers forward played through a nagging back injury for much of the season, missing several games and also sporting a brace. However, he's healthy now and that will lead to an increase in production.

Greg Monroe, Georgetown: PF, 6-11, 245, Soph.
2008-09 stats: 12.7 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 2.5 apg, 1.8 spg, 1.5 bpg
The Louisiana native won't blow you away with his scoring numbers or his athleticism, but he's long and extremely skilled. He's a terrific passer for someone his size who will need to become more vocal and more of a leader this season for the Hoyas.

Trevor Booker, Clemson: C, 6-7, 240, Sr.
2008-09 stats: 15.3 ppg, 9.7 rpg, 1.5 spg, 2.0 bpg
One of the most underrated players in the country, Booker is strong and athletic, and despite being somewhat undersized, he finds a way to get things done around the basket.

Kemba Walker, Connecticut: PG, 6-1, 175, Soph.
2008-09 stats: 8.9 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 2.9 apg
Now it's Walker's turn to run the show in Storrs with the departure of A.J. Price to the NBA. Walker has that New York City toughness, is quick and can really distribute the ball. He'll need to become a better perimeter shooter this season.

Kenny Boynton, Florida: SG, 6-2, 185, Fr.
He can be an enigma because his shot selection is questionable, but his ability is not. Boynton is a big-time scoring guard who can get by his defender at will — or shoot the ball from deep. He'll instantly become Billy Donovan's most talented player.

Fifth Team

Devin Ebanks, West Virginia: SF, 6-7, 210, Soph.
2008-09 stats: 10.5 ppg, 7.8 rpg
Ebanks came in with the reputation of being one-dimensional — just as an offensive threat. However, he had three games with 17-plus rebounds and also learned how to defend under Bob Huggins.

Samardo Samuels, Louisville: PF, 6-8, 240, Soph.
2008-09 stats: 11.8 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 1.3 bpg
With Hasheem Thabeet and DeJuan Blair gone, Samuels should be far more effective in terms of dominating in the paint in the Big East. However, the big Jamaican needs to become a more consistent rebounder.

Solomon Alabi, Florida State: C, 7-1, 250, Soph.
2008-09 stats: 8.4 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 2.1 bpg
The long and talented Nigerian sat out his freshman season due to injury but had his moments last season — even playing on a team that was led by guard Toney Douglas. The 'Noles will be more balanced this year, which bodes well for Alibi.

Devan Downey, South Carolina: PG, 5-9, 175, Sr.
2008-09 stats: 19.8 ppg, 4.5 apg, 2.9 spg
He's quick, tough and fearless and should make the Game****s an NCAA tournament team. He can really get into the lane and make plays — both for himself and his teammates.

Evan Turner, Ohio State: SG, 6-7, 205, Jr.
2008-09 stats: 17.3 ppg, 7.1 rpg, 4.0 apg
There isn't much the Buckeyes' versatile junior isn't able to do. Look for Thad Matta to put him at the point for much of the season, but Turner is multi-dimensional and can play just about anywhere.

All-freshman team

Renardo Sidney, Mississippi State: PF, 6-9, 250
I honestly didn't know whether to put him on this list for two factors. 1) Will he be cleared by the NCAA of amateurism issues? 2) Will he play to his potential? If both of those occur, Sidney has as much talent as just about anyone anywhere. At his size, he can virtually do it all.

Xavier Henry, Kansas: SF, 6-6, 220
Initially, Henry chose Memphis over Kansas but decided to attend KU after John Calipari left Memphis for Kentucky. Henry is long and can really shoot the ball from deep as well as beat defenders off the dribble. His numbers may be modest this season, but that'll be more due to the abundance of talent across the board on the Jayhawks.

Derrick Favors, Georgia Tech: C, 6-10, 235
There's no more talented freshman big man in the country, and there may not be a better big man. Period. He rarely strays from what is needed from him, which is to get work done on the glass and in the paint.

He'll come in with all the accolades and should live up to the hype. He's got all the natural ability, and there just isn't much he's unable to do on the court.

Avery Bradley, Texas: SG, 6-2 ½, 180, Fr.
Again, he's a guy that won't blow you away with his stats. However, Bradley will do it all — he can score, has a terrific mid-range game and is also a lock-down defender.

Pretty nice props there. Goodman and Capel are apparently close, so I hope he's basing that prediction off of some "inside info" Capel has given him about how the guys are looking. :)

Congrats Coach Capel that's awesome!

If John Wall is POY may monkey's fly out my butt.

Congrats Coach Capel that's awesome!

If John Wall is POY may monkey's fly out my butt.

As much as it pains me to agree with you, because I know you know how much I hate KU, but this list is overall ridiculous. Jeff Capel would have to have a tremendous year to be considered coach of the year. If he finishes third in the big12 I would consider that COY candidate material, but not a straight out winner of that award. John Wall will not win POY in UK because Patrick Patterson will be their MVP. And as Always, a team that has a prolific season will have the POY winner.

I'm a Sooner, but James Anderson not being listed in the top 25 players in the country is a joke.

Jeff Capel would have to have a tremendous year to be considered coach of the year.

Why is that such a stretch?
I think OU will surprise people and do better than expected.
And I think Coach Capel is a fabulous coach.

Good catch. It should be 69-33 (.676) at OU.

Back