Proper Strategy With a Lead, and OU at the Free Throw Line Question

SoonerInJersey

Reaction score
At the end of the 2nd half, after we had put five guards in, we went to the line for two free throws. What is the proper strategy as to substituting after the first free throw? In the past, what I have seen is that a defensive substitution is made.

However, what I saw at the game was a whole bunch of fans yelling for a defensive substitution (Tiny, Ryan, some big guy) and Capel leaving the five guards in. On OSU's possession they got an offensive rebound and eventually scored. Should Capel have put in a defensive big guy? Was it a coaching error to leave 5 smalls on the floor and have Crocker as the only rebounder?

At the end of the 2nd half, after we had put five guards in, we went to the line for two free throws. What is the proper strategy as to substituting after the first free throw? In the past, what I have seen is that a defensive substitution is made.

However, what I saw at the game was a whole bunch of fans yelling for a defensive substitution (Tiny, Ryan, some big guy) and Capel leaving the five guards in. On OSU's possession they got an offensive rebound and eventually scored. Should Capel have put in a defensive big guy? Was it a coaching error to leave 5 smalls on the floor and have Crocker as the only rebounder?

Well, I think Capel's reasoning may have been the fact that Tiny's not going to cover anyone on the perimeter. I believe you need atleast one rebounder. I'm not aware of OSU's lineup then, but he may have thought Crocker could match up with Moses.

Well, I think Capel's reasoning may have been the fact that Tiny's not going to cover anyone on the perimeter. I believe you need atleast one rebounder. I'm not aware of OSU's lineup then, but he may have thought Crocker could match up with Moses.

I am pretty sure their line-up went Moses, Muonelo, Anderson, Paige and Penn (or Gulley).

Figured Capel wanted every pick up top switched in order to cover the 3. Gallon could also pick up a cheap foul on a hedge, sending OSU to the line to shoot 2 AND stopping the clock.

I am pretty sure their line-up went Moses, Muonelo, Anderson, Paige and Penn (or Gulley).

Figured Capel wanted every pick up top switched in order to cover the 3. Gallon could also pick up a cheap foul on a hedge, sending OSU to the line to shoot 2 AND stopping the clock.

You're right. Also, this year we have been horrible on the hedge and recover. That has led to alot of our 3pt giveups.

You're right. Also, this year we have been horrible on the hedge and recover. That has led to alot of our 3pt giveups.

See Penn's three toward the end of the regulation when Cade hugged Anderson instead of switching. TMG caught over the top of two separate picks, Cade should have stepped over and TMG taken Anderson. Good draw up by Ford.

Last edited:
See Penn's three toward the end of the regulation when Cade hugged Anderson instead of switching. TMG caught caugh over the top of two separate picks, Cade should have stepped over and TMG taken Anderson. Good draw up by Ford.

I thought Tony was the one to slide over after Cade hedged the screen to pick up Penn while TMG chased to Page in the corner. It looked like for most of the game everyone switched except Cade.

I thought Tony was the one to slide over after Cade hedged the screen to pick up Penn while TMG chased to Page in the corner. It looked like for most of the game everyone switched except Cade.

If I am not mistaken (which I could be) after his bucket and chicken walking up the floor, he ran to Page in the corner near the OSU bench. Just going off recollection, need to see a replay.

Thanks, the explanation on the 3 makes sense. Would Fitgerald have been a better rchoice than Gallon in that situation? Still think we needed one other rebounder out there on the floor.

Back