Recruiting big men in 2010

EufaulaSooner

Reaction score
Are we recruiting any post players for the 2010 class? All I have ever heard about are guards/wings in Taylor, Clark, Pressey, McCallum and Barnes.

Wright and Pattillo will be finished after this season. Gallon's stated goal is to be one and done. That means the only post guys we will probably have after next year will be Allen, Fitzgerald and Hardrick. Ouch. Seems like we absolutely need to sign a post player who can play immediately. Even then we would still be a bit thin down low if Gallon is gone.

Looking at the roster from this past year, the turnover we are going to see is huge. In 2010-2011, only Willis, Davis and Allen will remain from this past year's team (assuming Willie leaves after this year). We will be relying on some very young players. Good thing we are signing some real talent.

If Tiny and Willie leave after next year, won't we have 6 scholarships to give for 2010?

Are we recruiting any post players for the 2010 class? All I have ever heard about are guards/wings in Taylor, Clark, Pressey, McCallum and Barnes.

Wright and Pattillo will be finished after this season. Gallon's stated goal is to be one and done. That means the only post guys we will probably have after next year will be Allen, Fitzgerald and Hardrick. Ouch. Seems like we absolutely need to sign a post player who can play immediately. Even then we would still be a bit thin down low if Gallon is gone.

Looking at the roster from this past year, the turnover we are going to see is huge. In 2010-2011, only Willis, Davis and Allen will remain from this past year's team (assuming Willie leaves after this year). We will be relying on some very young players. Good thing we are signing some real talent.

If Tiny and Willie leave after next year, won't we have 6 scholarships to give for 2010?

I agree with you that we need to get some impact bigs for the 2010 class. OU is leading on Tobi Oyedeije (PF) who is a top 5 player in Texas and will be a Top 100 guy in the rankings.

After that, I am not sure who the Sooners are targeting, but I bet we sign two bigs (at least) in this class.

A very poor big man class. Kyle Hardrick right now is our 2010 bigman recruit as he will probably redshirt. Toby Oyediji is a guy who has some talent, but is not an instant player in my opinion.

Don't we have an outside chance at Luke Cothron?

Don't we have an outside chance at Luke Cothron?

He lists us.

I think the positive about Oyedeji is he averages 15pts for a good 5a team and he's a legit 6'9. However, he lacks post moves and gets alot of score off of trasition dunks.

He lists us.

I think the positive about Oyedeji is he averages 15pts for a good 5a team and he's a legit 6'9. However, he lacks post moves and gets alot of score off of trasition dunks.

Nothing wrong with that at all especially if we are looking to push the ball more than we have. And with our apparent lack of post players the year he would come in would make pushing the ball even more of a necessity.

If we can get him, get him. I just don't see him being an 10-14pt guy until year 3. He's got pro potential.

Here are some small clips of him with TMG. He's 35. That 31 guy is kinda decent too!

Nothing wrong with that at all especially if we are looking to push the ball more than we have. And with our apparent lack of post players the year he would come in would make pushing the ball even more of a necessity.

Pushing the ball is easier said than done IMHO. In fact, I think it really has more to do with defense than offense.

Anyway, seems like we will have plenty of scholarships to give next year (5 assuming Willie leaves, 6 if Gallon leaves). Now we just need big men to take them. If Gallon leaves, maybe a starting position would look more likely to recruits and therefore we'd be more attractive. (Not that we shouldn't be already).

Pushing the ball is easier said than done IMHO. In fact, I think it really has more to do with defense than offense.

this.

dirty, don't you think Capel will be hesitant to redshirt Hardrick. Seems to me he wouldn't want him tying up a scholarship for 5 years unless he really thought he was going to be a key player/contributor. Certainly, from his standpoint, redshirting would make sense. He isn't going to play much next year, if at all, and he would have another year to rehab his knees.

dirty, don't you think Capel will be hesitant to redshirt Hardrick. Seems to me he wouldn't want him tying up a scholarship for 5 years unless he really thought he was going to be a key player/contributor. Certainly, from his standpoint, redshirting would make sense. He isn't going to play much next year, if at all, and he would have another year to rehab his knees

I don't know. I personally keep going back and forth on if he'll be in the rotation next year or if he'll redshirt. I think if their's potential there, he should redshirt, if he's going to be more than a reserve player he shouldn't. I think your closer to being right on this issue than I am. I don't know how far down the line their looking, but the fowards in 2011 and 12 are much better than 2010. I think if you like what your getting out of Hardrick and Fitzgerald, and the signs point to Gallon not declaring, then you can go a year without. signing a post. I like the prospects of a transfer like Tyus because he's a proven impact player and only 2 years on the book.

The Tyus thing is still way to early, but this would be a good year to have a transfer that can play the post.

For those that know a lot about Tiny's game, how realistic is it that he'll be 1 and done? I'm hoping he'll take the Blake and Willie route and stay for at least 2 years.

I agree with what others have said about Tyus. That would alleviate a lot of my concern for 2010.

For those that know a lot about Tiny's game, how realistic is it that he'll be 1 and done? I'm hoping he'll take the Blake and Willie route and stay for at least 2 years.

I agree with what others have said about Tyus. That would alleviate a lot of my concern for 2010.

I don't see it. In comparison to a guy who has the same body type and has played at a NPOY standard in Blair, he's declaring this year and still isn't considered a lottery pick.

I don't see it. In comparison to a guy who has the same body type and has played at a NPOY standard in Blair, he's declaring this year and still isn't considered a lottery pick.

The difference between Gallon and Blair is that Gallon can hit NBA 3point shots, is a better athlete, and has way more skill than Blair.

The difference between Gallon and Blair is that Gallon can hit NBA 3point shots, is a better athlete, and has way more skill than Blair.

Defensively, Blair is a high level college defender, and Gallon is a so so high school level defender. Gallon is not going to shoot 3ptr in the NBA. Gallon may have shot one of the last three pointer in his career a couple of weekends ago. As far him being a better athlete, how do you come up with that? Is he faster/quicker than Blair? More Agile? More Explosive? Their's not alot of difference between Tiny and Blair and I think we would be fooling ourselves if we think Tiny will come in and have the same impact as Dejuan Blair, a guy who would have been a legitimate NPOY if Blake wasn't around.

Way to early to project whether Tiny is a 1,2 or 3 year player. However, dirty is exactly right that he compares favorably to Blair. I have seen him play 4-5 times on TV, and every time I thought I was watching Blair. I see this as a big complement. Tiny is a little taller and right now a little bigger. From a skill perspective, the one difference significant difference I see is that the comparison stops at about 10-12 feet from the goal. Out from there, Tiny is a really good shooter and Blair doesn't even go there. Tiny handles the ball a little better, although Blair handles it fine on post moves, and Tiny is a better passer, although Blair is OK as well.

I have only seen tiny operate against high school kids and Blair has been killing big boys, so it is a little unfair to blair to say that Tiny is better. However, it is my opinion that Tiny will be the better player (which is a really good thing).

Who knows, but I think that shorter heavier type post players haven't done well in the draft, although there is a long history of some doing well in the NBA. So, Dirty is probably right about Tiny ultimately not having to select between returning and going in the first 3-4 picks in the draft. Could be that this is a good thing though, maybe he will be like hansbrough and stay for the duration.

Way to early to project whether Tiny is a 1,2 or 3 year player. However, dirty is exactly right that he compares favorably to Blair. I have seen him play 4-5 times on TV, and every time I thought I was watching Blair. I see this as a big complement. Tiny is a little taller and right now a little bigger. From a skill perspective, the one difference significant difference I see is that the comparison stops at about 10-12 feet from the goal. Out from there, Tiny is a really good shooter and Blair doesn't even go there. Tiny handles the ball a little better, although Blair handles it fine on post moves, and Tiny is a better passer, although Blair is OK as well.

I have only seen tiny operate against high school kids and Blair has been killing big boys, so it is a little unfair to blair to say that Tiny is better. However, it is my opinion that Tiny will be the better player (which is a really good thing).

Who knows, but I think that shorter heavier type post players haven't done well in the draft, although there is a long history of some doing well in the NBA. So, Dirty is probably right about Tiny ultimately not having to select between returning and going in the first 3-4 picks in the draft. Could be that this is a good thing though, maybe he will be like hansbrough and stay for the duration.

I would be thrilled if he were like Blair. I'm convinced he can score on the same level if not better than Blair, but I'm not convinced on the rebounding yet. Let's be honest with ourselves though, Tiny has done alot to get his body in better shape, he is still a ways body wise of being a one and done risk. If he gets to 250 with more muscle definition, I'd be worried more about one and done.

Looks like some of you are getting ahead of yourselves. Book it right here and right now. Keith "Tiny" Gallon will not go pro after next year. After Coach Capel and Coach Clines show him how much better he could be and how much he has to learn. Tiny himself will stay at OU. Also don't forget that WW will have Tiny's ear as well. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

Back