Recruiting big men in 2010

For what its worth, Orlando Allen is going to be a Junior next year... We have him for two more years...

OU will have Tiny, Orlando, Fitz, and Hardrick after next season. I don't think Tiny will be one and done.

It's not crucial to sign an elite big guy in the 2010 class, but Capel probably will anyway.

I have said this a bunch already, but I think you can really get off base when you are trying to compare Tiny to other guys who have had weight issues. His game is really nothing at all like Blair's. Blair's game is all about energy, strength and effort. He makes his living on the offensive glass and around the rim. He has already lost almost all the weight he needed to lose and he is only 6'7" at best (probably closer to 6'5").

Tiny's whole game is about skill. He has spectacular hands and his footwork is tremendous for a guy his size. The best comparison for him is Chris Webber. Webber was effective on the block, but he was just as good facing up. I think Tiny will play a lot of high post and short corner, something Blair doesn't do at all. He is also a legit 6'9" right now, so if he gets his weight down closer to 260 he will have a prototype body for an NBA power forward.

As far as whether or not he goes pro after one year, I think two things are gonna keep him in school for another year. First, I just don't see him getting into good enough shape by this time next year to guarantee a spot in the first part of the draft. Teams will want to see that the weight issue is over with. The second thing is that next year's draft looks like it will be pretty solid considering all the guys who came back (Ed Davis, Willie Warren, Cole Aldrich, Greg Monroe, Al-Farouq Aminu and Craig Brackins). I think it is reasonable to expect him to be here at least two seasons.

Anyway, just thought I'd get that out there.

Oh yeah, almost forgot...I know a lot of guys on the board aren't that excited about Tobi Oyedeji, but with Tiny, Drew and Orlando on board and with Wright and Pattillo gone after next season, we will need an athletic, quick big man to go with all the beef. I think he is almost a must get for 2010.

OU will have Tiny, Orlando, Fitz, and Hardrick after next season. I don't think Tiny will be one and done.

It's not crucial to sign an elite big guy in the 2010 class, but Capel probably will anyway.

Even if Tiny stays another year (and I agree he probably will, if nothing else because he'll need more than a year to get in good shape), we'll still need another big man. Don't mean to knock him, but from what I've heard I doubt Hardrick ever contributes. And if he did, I think it would be a step down for us. So I think that would mean we'd really have 3 high-level guys on the roster. And there's always the chance of injuries.

Even if Tiny stays another year (and I agree he probably will, if nothing else because he'll need more than a year to get in good shape), we'll still need another big man. Don't mean to knock him, but from what I've heard I doubt Hardrick ever contributes. And if he did, I think it would be a step down for us. So I think that would mean we'd really have 3 high-level guys on the roster. And there's always the chance of injuries.
Exactly on the injuries, remember how injuries left us with a depleted post at times. If I recall correctly Beau Gerber has had to play vs Kansas in the 2006-07 and 2007-08 games and it wasn't garbage time minutes either.

Good post. I hope we take two this class (Tobi and someone else).

I have said this a bunch already, but I think you can really get off base when you are trying to compare Tiny to other guys who have had weight issues. His game is really nothing at all like Blair's. Blair's game is all about energy, strength and effort. He makes his living on the offensive glass and around the rim. He has already lost almost all the weight he needed to lose and he is only 6'7" at best (probably closer to 6'5").

Tiny's whole game is about skill. He has spectacular hands and his footwork is tremendous for a guy his size. The best comparison for him is Chris Webber. Webber was effective on the block, but he was just as good facing up. I think Tiny will play a lot of high post and short corner, something Blair doesn't do at all. He is also a legit 6'9" right now, so if he gets his weight down closer to 260 he will have a prototype body for an NBA power forward.

As far as whether or not he goes pro after one year, I think two things are gonna keep him in school for another year. First, I just don't see him getting into good enough shape by this time next year to guarantee a spot in the first part of the draft. Teams will want to see that the weight issue is over with. The second thing is that next year's draft looks like it will be pretty solid considering all the guys who came back (Ed Davis, Willie Warren, Cole Aldrich, Greg Monroe, Al-Farouq Aminu and Craig Brackins). I think it is reasonable to expect him to be here at least two seasons.

Anyway, just thought I'd get that out there.

Oh yeah, almost forgot...I know a lot of guys on the board aren't that excited about Tobi Oyedeji, but with Tiny, Drew and Orlando on board and with Wright and Pattillo gone after next season, we will need an athletic, quick big man to go with all the beef. I think he is almost a must get for 2010.

I agree with everything you have said about Tiny except he is in better shape than you think he is. I've looked over his training regimen and he is where he needs to be, his current S&C coach is a good one. Having said that I see him staying 2 years at OU.

Back