Ryan Wright

Seymore Cox

Reaction score
I have never saw a basketball player in that type of physical condition. Unreal.

He really is a lot bigger then he was last year, I wonder if he spent some more time with Frank M cuz he blew up over the summer.
I hope it translates to a more physical presence on the court this season.

I've played pickup games with some big guys including Alonzo Mayes, Maurice Love, Jerome Lambert, Shea Seal (after he buffed up going into his senior year) etc. None had the physique this guy did. He made blake look like a pencil.

Ryan Wright is also a stand up guy. I hope and I believe that he will have a strong senior year. But even if he doesnt, he has added to OU by helping us land Richard Peters, who I think will be a big time guy for OU.

Ryan Wright is also a stand up guy. I hope and I believe that he will have a strong senior year. But even if he doesnt, he has added to OU by helping us land Richard Peters, who I think will be a big time guy for OU.

Came over and talked to me unsolicited for about 5 minutes. Very sharp kid. Will be very successful in life.

i'd really love to see Ryan breakout. i have never seen anything but great things said about the kid. he really seemed to play with confidence a few times last year and in those games you saw him take the ball to the hole without hesitation. go to the line, or score. and hit the boards effectively.

i think the Patillo episode of greatness and then not so greatness probably hurt Ryan's in-game development. he also needs to catch entry passes better and in general have better hands in the paint, in traffic.

I agree completely. No matter what happens with Ryan on the court, he was worth taking and giving a scholarship to because what he has brought to the program internally, with recruiting, and off the court. He is a hard worker, good student, friendly guy to the fanbase, and he loves OU, Coach Capel, and his team.

That said, I am hoping as much as everyone else that he has a big year.

I've played pickup games with some big guys including Alonzo Mayes, Maurice Love, Jerome Lambert, Shea Seal (after he buffed up going into his senior year) etc. None had the physique this guy did. He made blake look like a pencil.

I'd like to see him go Yo-Yo Szendrei on Damion James, but that's me.

Dirty,
Do you think Ryan will have a breakout year? How does his game look?
Thanks

I agree completely. No matter what happens with Ryan on the court, he was worth taking and giving a scholarship to because what he has brought to the program internally, with recruiting, and off the court. He is a hard worker, good student, friendly guy to the fanbase, and he loves OU, Coach Capel, and his team.

+1 :clap

Ryan Wright is a class act... great person and an extremely hard worker. I'm excited to see the strides he's made over the offseason. I'm really rooting for the guy to take it to the next level this year.. I think he's capable of it.

Ryan is a fantastic player to have on scholarship. I would love to see him get some nice minutes!

Dirty,
Do you think Ryan will have a breakout year? How does his game look?
Thanks

He played about 4 minutes of warrior basketball against A&M last year that caught my eye. If he can bring that more, I think so. I don't think success in his case will be measured with points and rebounds.

No matter what happens with Ryan on the court, he was worth taking and giving a scholarship to because what he has brought to the program internally, with recruiting, and off the court. He is a hard worker, good student, friendly guy to the fanbase, and he loves OU, Coach Capel, and his team.

Make it two.

Nothing I would like better than to see Ryan fulfill his potential coming out of high school. If he does, that will translate into a very good year for OU as well.

When you are talking about a guy like Ryan, I think it is easy to make claims that he is better than what he showed because you like him so much as a person.

As for Ryan, I think that this is an extremely accurate statement, however. He did his job last year of providing Blake the rest he needed, but Ryan wasn't meant to play long stretches. In the A&M game when he got extended minutes, I think we got a glimpse of what he is capable of. I look for Ryan to have a huge impact this year. A lot of it won't find its way to the stat sheet, but coaches and us in the know will realize how much better he makes the team. I expect a lot of opposing team's meetings to go like this: "We have to keep Wright from out running us down the court. We have to be aware of the post to post picks. We have to much his hustle for lose balls."

Breaking down his game from last year:

Rebounding: he is extremely athletic and can rebound out of his area.

Shooting: he has a nice touch around the basket and a very good free throw form and rotation.

Passing: a little lacking

Catching passes: he catches the ball but sometimes it isn't always cleanly so he loses any position he had.

Defense: he has a little too much bend from the waist turning him into a 6'4" defender instead of a 6'9" defender.

Athletic: you bet ya!

The difference I think comes from hands on coaching time. With the limited time coaches have with the players, I think Cline had to put in a majority of it with the guys who were getting 90% of the minutes. With more time to devote to Ryan, I think Ryan will really blossom. No offense to Longar, but as a polished basketball player I think Ryan is way ahead of Longar. If Cline can do what he did with Longar, he can do it with Ryan.

In short, I look for Ryan to average around 9 points and 9 rebounds a game. The real impact will be him wearing down opposing defense players so Tiny can take advantage of them. People under estimate the effect of having a big body lean against you all game. That is one of the reason Blake would start off "slow" and have monster second halfs. Guys could bang with him for a half, but after a while, they had nothing in the tank while Blake was still fresh.

In short, I look for Ryan to average around 9 points and 9 rebounds a game. The real impact will be him wearing down opposing defense players so Tiny can take advantage of them. People under estimate the effect of having a big body lean against you all game. That is one of the reason Blake would start off "slow" and have monster second halfs. Guys could bang with him for a half, but after a while, they had nothing in the tank while Blake was still fresh.

I think 9 and 9 is a bit high, but I definitely expect him to be a solid contributor. He's one of the good guys, and I know everyone on this board would be ecstatic if was able to elevate his game to starter like minutes.

9 and 9 makes you a pretty good player. Thats nearly averaging a double double and means that you have plenty of double-digit scoring and rebounding games.

Not ready to say Ryan is going to do that yet.

I said 9 and 9 because I think he will be one of those guys you has a 17 point game followed by a 2 point game. The one x-factor people don't account for his that he should shoot in the 65% range from the free-throw line. He will get a lot of points from the line. Nevertheless, it will be up and down for him.

Nine rebounds I think he will get pretty consistently based on his athleticism.

Unless I missing something with Fitzgerald and Allen, I see Allen, Fitz, Gallon, and Wright all averaging right around 25 minutes a game. One wrinkle I think Capel will use to gain an edge on the boards is to play Gallon at the traditional 3 and have 2 of the other 3 bigs in at the 4 and the 5. This is how I get over an equal 20 minutes per game for 4 guys each.

Personally I would be surprised if three of Wright, Gallon, Big O and Fitz are on the court at the same time.

Personally I would be surprised if three of Wright, Gallon, Big O and Fitz are on the court at the same time.

Here is my thinking. It will be a similar lineup to Patillo and the Griffins being on the floor at the sametime.

Starting Lineup:
G: Griffin
G: Warren
G: Crocker
F: Gallon
F: Allen/Wright

If we sub for Griffin, we will slide Warren to the point. If we are playing a small team, I think you see Davis/Willis/Pledger coming in. If we are playing a bigger team or getting out rebounded, I think you see Fitz or Allen/Wright come in and slide Gallon to the three.

I think we will see Gallon at the three more often than some people think. One, his face up game is much better right now than his post game. With a smaller guy guarding him, it will hide his lack of post moves. Two, I think people are going to be extremely surprised about how much better Allen and Wright are going to play this year. From what I've heard, while there not all-american's they will be solid contributors.

All that said, I think you might see a four out, one in offense a lot this year too in order to open up driving lanes for Warren and Griffin.

Back