Saturday open practice

colston15

Reaction score
I know people enjoy these so I will give my two cents from what I saw. So here are a lot of random observations.

Austin Reaves was the best player on the floor. He can shoot, he plays hard defensively, he's not to be underestimated as a pure athlete and looks to be a legit 6'4-6'5.

Next best was Kur. He's added some muscle and looks equally comfortable in the post or shooting a spot-up jumper. Reminds me of the kind of long, rangy, versatile guy Baylor has had recently.

Jamal Bienemy is so solid. With he, Manek and Reaves on the floor, you've got a really good shooting lineup.

Manek and Doolittle stand out as guys that have played way more high level basketball than anyone around them. We need them to do more if we want to finish top half of the conference, IMO.

The rest of the crew could absolutely be useful this season. Victor and Williams seem like the mostly likely guys to really contribute, but Izzansa and Hill bring a lot to the table athletically.

Garang will redshirt, I understand, but with his length and current shooting ability, I really like him as a developmental player.

I question how Merritt fits into the group - I would've preferred another guard - but he even he had a good practice Saturday.

I expect the first unit, whoever settles in there, to be solid defensively.

I was a little disappointed in Harmon's overall offensive game - he has a lot of refinement to come - but he's smart, athletic and gives max effort.

Overall, Reaves is an improvement on James, who I think was the only true loss off last year's roster. That might be slightly controversial, but I'll stick by it.

If this team finishes eighth in the Big 12, they've not hit their full potential.

Great report, Colston! I especially enjoyed your breakdown on each player!

Back