So what can Moser do?

Boom Soon

Reaction score
There's been some negativity (myself included) towards Moser and co. the last two games. I do think it's understandable. But I'm thinking he will forsure get one more year even God forbid if they don't win another game this season. So the fans are stuck with him for atleast eighteen more months. How do you think he can turn the season around? What changes would you genuinely like to see?

I don't necessarily have an answer because I've been fairly limited on what I've been able to watch. BUT

I do know the offense needs some tweaking. It's a slow paced offense so I know he's not going to go run and gun overnight, but SOMETHING has to change. Surely he's got some faster paced stuff designed to get out in front of the defense better. Maybe athletes like Bamisile and the Shroder kid could then see the floor. Utilize their athleticism more. I'm not sure exactly but I wanted to start the conversation.

execute better.
We have lost by a combined 4 points to two ranked teams

There's been some negativity (myself included) towards Moser and co. the last two games. I do think it's understandable. But I'm thinking he will forsure get one more year even God forbid if they don't win another game this season. So the fans are stuck with him for atleast eighteen more months. How do you think he can turn the season around? What changes would you genuinely like to see?

I don't necessarily have an answer because I've been fairly limited on what I've been able to watch. BUT

I do know the offense needs some tweaking. It's a slow paced offense so I know he's not going to go run and gun overnight, but SOMETHING has to change. Surely he's got some faster paced stuff designed to get out in front of the defense better. Maybe athletes like Bamisile and the Shroder kid could then see the floor. Utilize their athleticism more. I'm not sure exactly but I wanted to start the conversation.

One of the Kelvin Sampson sayings I will always remember is "you achieve what you emphasize." If his team lost a game because of, say, poor transition defense, you could be damn sure the same thing wouldn't happen again any time soon because he would work it to death in practice. So if I'm Moser, I spend practice working on not turning the ball over, securing defensive rebounds, and all the other issues that make the difference in close games. Also -- he has to get better at creating some "easy" buckets out of timeouts and on BLOBs. One or two of those per game would make a big difference considering how much we struggle in halfcourt offense. And I do think we need to play a bit faster, especially at home. And get the ball in Grant's hands more. Take him off the ball every now and then, but not for long stretches in close games.

Moser IS the long term answer at OU, he just needs more time. He is recruiting good, Uzan, Oweh were both rivals 4 stars and he has two more 4 stars in this class. Moser will win big at OU.

In the short term, the options are limited. I'm sure he wants to play Bam and CJ more, but one is giving us a few minutes and points at times, while the other is a liability when on the floor. I haven't seen anything from Benny to make me think he's ready for B12 play, especially on defense. I'm afraid we just need to play smarter and execute better with what we have, easier said than done. I would like to see more dribble drive by Cortes and Uzan, not every possession, but they seem to be able to get to the paint, and both are good passers.

Long term, I think Moser needs to get more athletic bigs to give us some shot blocking and offensive rebounding presence. I think he likes good passing bigs, who doesn't, but he may need to be flexible in order to have the team athleticism to compete at the major conference level.

One other immediate change he could make is to start Godwin. What sense does it make to start Tanner when you know he will pick up a bad foul before the first timeout? Start Sam and save Tanner the foul and hope he gets the message.

He needs better players and to get those we need more basketball specific NIL. Donate anything you can to https://crimsoncreamcollective.com/subscribe/ and specify basketball use only. I did one time donation at the level I could affford and specified basketball only. I’m a few months I’ll donate again. Football as enough money.

Get a big time transfer big man..

Bring in the recruiting class.

Pay Jalen Hill and Sherfield to stay.. Let's put a few million towards bball and that money will do more for us than in football :)

Kind of deceiving to say we lost by a combined 4 points when we slopped in a meaningless three at the buzzer of the Texas game. That being said, losing so many close games makes me wonder if there's a coaching deficiency. And I was in favor of the Porter Moser hire from the beginning.

Kind of deceiving to say we lost by a combined 4 points when we slopped in a meaningless three at the buzzer of the Texas game. That being said, losing so many close games makes me wonder if there's a coaching deficiency. And I was in favor of the Porter Moser hire from the beginning.

OK fine, we lost the last 2 games by a combine 7 against 2 ranked teams.

OK fine, we lost the last 2 games by a combine 7 against 2 ranked teams.

And as someone else has pointed out we have lost almost every close game we've played since Coach Moser arrived. It's a bit concerning, no?

And I was in favor of the Porter Moser hire from the beginning.

Anyone in favor of the hire was basing it on the NCAA hoops universe as we had known it. We will see if he can be successful with this new abnormal. I hope he will.

And as someone else has pointed out we have lost almost every close game we've played since Coach Moser arrived. It's a bit concerning, no?

Record in games decided by 5 or less points
Year 1:5-9 (Losses include 4 ranked teams)
Year 2:2-4 (losses include 2 ranked teams)

Concerning? Maybe. Teams have to learn how to win

KSU and ISU "learned how to win" quite quickly....and both were coming from far further depths than us as a program. I've never bought into the "learn how to win" reasoning. Candidly, I think it comes down to players.....and specifically having athletic players who are skilled. This is our biggest disadvantage currently. Outside of Sherfield, name another player on this roster who would get meaningful minutes on another Big 12 roster.....maybe Hill or T. Groves if it's the right roster mix? Maybe Uzan or BC if it's a backup role? I think you can see where I'm going here.

Reporter: How did you win the game today?

Player: We learned how to win! The coach told us we had to score at least one more point than the opponent and that's how you win! After he said that a lightbulb went off for the team. It's amazing really.

Reporter: How did you win the game today?

Player: We learned how to win! The coach told us we had to score at least one more point than the opponent and that's how you win! After he said that a lightbulb went off for the team. It's amazing really.

Plus, we have tons of experience relative to most teams. We have four starters who have played four or more years of college ball. Three of them played together last year. Even if "learning to win" were a thing, we should be way ahead of many teams who are playing brand new guys.

Back