So what can Moser do?

Stay the course. I know it’s not fun. But kids have to finish better.

Yep! I come here mostly to read now. If I stay too long, I have to hold my nose until I get the taste out of my mouth!

I was almost run off the board a couple years ago and labeled a sunshine pumper. Now I’m probably lumped in as a hater. I won’t speak for anyone else, but I’m someone who loves the program more than is probably healthy, and I want to see the program in the NCAA Tournament as often as possible. I would have loved to have more success the last few years under Lon, but was called a sunshine pumper because I didn’t want us to get rid of a coach who got to the tourney as often as anyone not coaching a blue blood. Now I’m a hater because it concerns me that our team isn’t fundamentally sound in many ways, and because we have been lapped by so many programs that were in much worse shape than we were when Moser took over. I was thrilled we got him and would love to see him succeed, but so far, I see very few positives other than some of the high school kids we have signed.

I was almost run off the board a couple years ago and labeled a sunshine pumper. Now I’m probably lumped in as a hater. I won’t speak for anyone else, but I’m someone who loves the program more than is probably healthy, and I want to see the program in the NCAA Tournament as often as possible. I would have loved to have more success the last few years under Lon, but was called a sunshine pumper because I didn’t want us to get rid of a coach who got to the tourney as often as anyone not coaching a blue blood. Now I’m a hater because it concerns me that our team isn’t fundamentally sound in many ways, and because we have been lapped by so many programs that were in much worse shape than we were when Moser took over. I was thrilled we got him and would love to see him succeed, but so far, I see very few positives other than some of the high school kids we have signed.

You’re definitely not a hater! And you were right to stand behind Lon when he got off to a bad start with a losing season in his first year. But, IMO, you were wrong to make excuses for him when his staff failed to take advantage of our Final Four run. I made it clear sometime ago that I didn’t blame Lon for one of the worst seasons (11-20) in OU basketball history, but like it or not, he was ultimately responsible. If he got an oops! in his seventh season, I see no reason to chase Porter off in two.

It’s possible Porter Moser may be the wrong coach for OU. I’m just not ready to give up on him halfway through his second season. I’m never satisfied with moral victories, but when we play good teams close I’m able to use that as a barometer to get an idea about where we are and what we need to do to turn those losses into wins. If nothing has changed by this time next year, I may see things your way. Porter deserves another year!

Back