So What Do We Want To See Sunday?

OUSKINS

Reaction score
Hard to hide my disappointment right now; the last three weeks have been a major air out of balloon for me in terms of my excitement level for the team in March. Prior to that KSU game I was legit pondering 2 seed and perhaps having a relatively clear path to Sweet 16. Now, I’m wondering if we can legit beat ANY team in the field seeded 11 or higher. Because the truth is, by the time we tip off our Tourney game, it will have been over a month since we beat anyone other than ISU. I’m thrilled there is even going to be a Tournament and I’m happy OU will be involved, but I’d be lying if I said I had any sort of hope of making a run.

That said, I’ll be rooting for the best possible scenario. So what is that?

I’d say for sure a 6 seed is the absolute best case. I also think a 9 seed would be the worst case. Let’s split the difference and say we are either a 7 or an 8. There’s actually a pretty big difference there this year. Baylor, Gonzaga, and Michigan are a cut above. We wouldn’t be paired with Baylor, but if we wound up with either Michigan or Gonzaga; we’d be in a BAD spot. We would first be playing a likely 50/50 game in round one and then we’d be huge underdogs in round 2. It would be a little different if it was Illinois or Ohio St (the likely last #1 seed) but still far from ideal.

A 7 seed is a little different. Probably not much difference in terms of round 1, but the projected 2 seeds look like a bunch of teams I think we could upset. For example, Houston is better than we are (and honestly, better coached) but we COULD beat them and it wouldn’t be some sort of monumental upset if we did.

So, that’s the drama for me on Sunday... do we stay on that 7 line or fall to the 8/9 game?

In terms of what “type” of team we want in round one, I would like to avoid a really sharp perimeter team. We play excellent half court defense. Only time we really get in trouble is if a team is hot from beyond the arc. If we can land a team that doesn’t shoot it so well, it really plays to our advantage. I don’t worry quite as much about teams with a good inside presence because we always lose that battle anyway. I’m more concerned about a team bombing away. Our offense just isn’t good enough to keep up. We need a team to miss shots so that we can run a little more and find easier shots on our end.

Looking at Bracket Matrix projected 10-11 seeds, I think we’d be favored against about half of them. So probably a toss up in terms of match-ups overall. Bottom line on Sunday is avoiding the 8/9 game and specifically avoiding a potential second round game against Gonzaga or Michigan.

Lunardi just updated his and we are a 7 (were a 6 before tonignt) playing Georgia Tech. Then Iowa if we win.

I think we are squarely on that 7 line. Not that it matters too much. This team is not winning one ncaa game, let alone two.

I haven't seen a late season collapse like this since...OU did it 3 years ago.

Solomon Young got his season high in rebounds against us on Wednesday with 12. I shudder to think of what Kofi Cockburn would do to our frontcourt. 25 and 20? Him and Ayo would outscore us by themselves if we played like we did in the 1st half tonight.

In our current form, the 2nd round is the ceiling for this team no matter the seed, and that's with a favorable draw. Even with that, because I like to torture myself with hope, I'll be here on Sunday night planning out a path to the Final Four.

I think a 6 seed is still very possible. Nobody really knows how the conferences stack up against each other, and the committee seems to give the Big 12 the benefit of the doubt which might push OU up just enough.

If 6 seed:
Potential 1st round matchups (11 seeds):
Maryland
Michigan State
Louisville
Wichita State

Potential 2nd round matchups (3 seeds):
Arkansas
Villanova

I only list those two because most of the potential 3 seeds are Big 12 teams, and I don't think (could be wrong) that the committee would make that matchup. But if they did, no Big 12 team should intimidate OU.

Arkansas has no bad losses. Four of their five are in Q1A, the top half of the top quadrant. Then they have a Q2 loss. OU has a Q3 loss, but also owns four Q1A wins. Arky's best win is the same as OU's best (Alabama at home), but OU has three wins better than their next best (LSU at home). Arkansas is on a hot streak, having not lost since January 30 in Stillwater, but then they haven't played the type of competition OU has played. That winning streak includes 7 point home win over a sub-.500 Texas A&M team and a 1 point road win over a terrible Kentucky team. They're good but not that intimidating.

Villanova? I'll just say this: they've lost three of their last four games, and all three were teams at .500 or below. And their best win is at Texas, which is OU's 3rd best win. Enough said.

Bottom line is, if OU sneaks into a 6 seed, I'll be picking them to the second weekend. Wishful thinking? Maybe, but where's the fun in anything else?

The problem is there are other teams out there still playing who can push the seeds up or down... So I think OU will land either at 6, 7, or 8 depending on what happens the rest of the year.

I think a 6 seed is still very possible. Nobody really knows how the conferences stack up against each other, and the committee seems to give the Big 12 the benefit of the doubt which might push OU up just enough.

If 6 seed:
Potential 1st round matchups (11 seeds):
Maryland
Michigan State
Louisville
Wichita State

Potential 2nd round matchups (3 seeds):
Arkansas
Villanova

I only list those two because most of the potential 3 seeds are Big 12 teams, and I don't think (could be wrong) that the committee would make that matchup. But if they did, no Big 12 team should intimidate OU.

Arkansas has no bad losses. Four of their five are in Q1A, the top half of the top quadrant. Then they have a Q2 loss. OU has a Q3 loss, but also owns four Q1A wins. Arky's best win is the same as OU's best (Alabama at home), but OU has three wins better than their next best (LSU at home). Arkansas is on a hot streak, having not lost since January 30 in Stillwater, but then they haven't played the type of competition OU has played. That winning streak includes 7 point home win over a sub-.500 Texas A&M team and a 1 point road win over a terrible Kentucky team. They're good but not that intimidating.

Villanova? I'll just say this: they've lost three of their last four games, and all three were teams at .500 or below. And their best win is at Texas, which is OU's 3rd best win. Enough said.

Bottom line is, if OU sneaks into a 6 seed, I'll be picking them to the second weekend. Wishful thinking? Maybe, but where's the fun in anything else?

This OU team can’t beat any of those teams mentioned. Whoever OU plays in the first round will have their way and beat OU.

This OU team can’t beat any of those teams mentioned. Whoever OU plays in the first round will have their way and beat OU.

Time for LK to go. Appreciate what he did after he took over, but it is time to bring in some new blood to the program.

Right now i just hope to see that we are covid free and able to play

Right now i just hope to see that we are covid free and able to play

I don’t think you will see many teams yanked from the Big Dance. It’s really no big deal for UVA or KU to withdraw from their conference tourneys. They are going to allow teams to play tourney games with as few as 5 eligible players. Once the bracket drops, I think the “rules” will become less strict on contact tracing and teams will just move on without those that test positive.

Also, OU students have been eligible for vaccine for a bit now— anyone know if the team got vaxed?

Wow... those 1st rnd 11 seeds....

Damn... not an easy win in any of them.

I think LK can coach, i just don’t think he can recruit - especially 5-star bigs.

Well, unfortunately for us, you have to do both. You have to recruit talent. Period. Lon had failed there for 5 years

I think LK can coach, i just don’t think he can recruit - especially 5-star bigs.
Lots of time when coaching staff starts getting old recruiting is the first thing that suffers

I would be happy with more four stars bigs and fewer projects. I’m fine with our guards and wings.

Well, unfortunately for us, you have to do both. You have to recruit talent. Period. Lon had failed there for 5 years

There is no fire under kruger. He’s had a pretty good career and is well respected by the “basketball community”. He’s on his own timeline. He’s 24th in pay..(adjusted from 14th)... he’s around that for number of ncaa app...# of ncaa tourney wins, etc.

OU basketball is just good with him, no matter what us few fans think.

Sad, but it is what it is.

OU is projected as an 8 seed on espn and CBS. Just FYI

OU is projected as an 8 seed on espn and CBS. Just FYI

We are the last 7 seed on bracketmatrix, but lsu is the first 8 seed and they won today. It hasn’t updated since then. So that’s not surprising to me

Some teams stealing bids SHOULD help OU push up a line. Georgetown stole one. Root for Oregon State tonight too.

Don’t care who we get. We dug our own hole and need to climb out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back