Softball

First series loss in 13 years
Yesterday the problem was poor play in the outfield. I didn't get to see today's game but the problem seemed to be not getting timely hits from what I heard. If we hold our opponent to 2 runs, the offense should be able to take care of business. It's not like Cat Osterman is still pitching.

I don't think you can blame a 2-1 loss, either day, on anything but lack of hitting, and throw in yesterday a couple of freshman mistakes on the bases which could likely have cost us that game. We made some defensive errors but you have to score more than 1 run. Too much take take take, seems like maybe we are trying to hard to walk .

not scoring but 2 runs against UT's pitchers over the weekend def worries me for when we play elite pitching like theirs down the road. I hope our batters reset and get hot again. Our pitching is good but not good enough to overcome less than stellar hitting, unlike how it did at times last season. We have got to hit well in the post season in order to win a 4th natty in a row. It'll be very hard, but doable with this lineup IMO.

I wonder who takes care of the "Soonersports" softball page???
They seem to be slow in updating it.....I like to see the highlights of every game and it's been 24 hours and still no highlights?:unsure:

it seems that UT's pitchers either had career weekends or OU's batters had an ultimate career low in hitting that weekend as since then teams have scored much more runs against their staff than OU did...I'm thinking they pitched their very best and we did our worst at the plate and since then things have reverted back to normality. I'm liking how we looked this past weekend, and how we perform against UCF will say a lot more about where this team is. We CANNOT lose anymore games (we'd have to sweep OSU) in order to win the B12 regular season over Texas, unless they lose another game, of course. How likely is it that we'll win out? I'd say 50/50.

There were some other amazing plays this weekend in defense, pitching, hitting and base running; but the two catches in right centerfield by Coleman on Sunday are my two favorite. Boone also did a great job of being there while allowing Jayda her space.

IMO the OU batters are playing hero ball..I agree other teams have gotten better

I think based on Jayda's reaction that Boone had called for one of them, after the catch Jayda looks over at Riley and I think says "My bad"

You could be right. Plus, these three games have run together for me, so I am not sure both were Sunday.. I was just trying to go back through and see the plays again and have almost had to watch the game again and only seen one of the catches. However, I have skipped through the game, so will just expand time that to Over the Series.
Another I remember was a catch in outfield that Jayda made and with her throw was able to keep the runner on second from moving up. She has an arm.
I surely appreciate having OU softball to watch right now.....a really fun escape.

EDIT: Both catches in Sunday"s game....in 4th and 5th innings. Yep, closer to a collision in the 4th, I believe, so maybe a lack of communication.

Last edited:
OU V OSU @ 6:30 tonight on FS1. I Wii fill much better going into post season play if we sweep this...also, if our fielding improves over all that of last few games, if we don't leave so many runners on base and if our pitching from all 3 starters is at least comparable to that of OSU
AND please don't take this as much being negative about the team or amy participater players. I know we
have a great team...but they seem to have let the significance of this year get to them. Or who knows what it is but I want them to win for them. Just want them to be happy with their college careers when this is over. SOONERS

We just don't have the pitching and batting to always beat some of these teams.............still they are great still looking for big 12 tournament win and wcws win.
Whatever is keeping them from bringing it all together in a game, they still have the ability to do so.
Whatever I said above, the team can still cap off its greatness in the Big 12 and WCWS

Last edited:
These seniors have won too many times, they want to win but deep down the desire just isn't there
Not sure if Patty isn't in the same boat

These seniors have won too many times, they want to win but deep down the desire just isn't there
Not sure if Patty isn't in the same boat
Many times, no matter the sport, I've noticed that Seniors don't have the type of year you would think they would based on their past performance. I don't know if it's for the reason you describe or the pressure of knowing it's their last season affects their play. I haven't looked up the stats but I don't think any of the Seniors have had Senior seasons as good as their previous seasons.

Many times, no matter the sport, I've noticed that Seniors don't have the type of year you would think they would based on their past performance. I don't know if it's for the reason you describe or the pressure of knowing it's their last season affects their play. I haven't looked up the stats but I don't think any of the Seniors have had Senior seasons as good as their previous seasons.
I would have to go back and look at teams to verify this statement, but believe it is often the case. I just do not know if it is often a case for teams of this caliber....with Seniors looking to play pro ball, play on the national team, and looking towards 2028 Olympics. Still they may just feel too much pressure. Also think with players using the portal more, there is more parity. Not sure we used it sufficiently for pitchers. Not that I don't want the pitchers we have, but it seems they are feeling stressed. That other teams have better pitchers which keep OU from breaking it open against good teams, thus more pressure on pitchers. I am surprised Patti didn't get another really good pitcher through the portal. Of course, I am just a fan who is speculating. Win or lose the Big 12 tournament or our 4th in a row WCWS, I just hope they all make a good showing, especially the Seniors and can go out happy and proud of themselves and have great opportunities in the pros, US team, Olympics. Most importantly be happy, kind contributing members to society.
As an aside, am going out on limb and say the OU team plays super, has fun and wins today

Back