Softball

Are we going to continue this stupid war?

Let's take a bunch of teams(group A) that have 50-50 records against each other. Now, let's take another group (B) of teams that have 50-50 records against each other.

How do you compare all of the teams since they only play within their own group?

Now, let's let play members of group A vs group B. But, let's only have them play at the home fields of Group A. Which group will have the better record given what we know of home field advantage?

You have consistently wanted to endorse a system that many of us feel rewards Group A for remaining at home.

You will never win this argument because I think it is too stupid to consider any discussion. Fix the rpi.

Let's take a bunch of teams(group A) that have 50-50 records against each other. Now, let's take another group (B) of teams that have 50-50 records against each other.

How do you compare all of the teams since they only play within their own group?

Now, let's let play members of group A vs group B. But, let's only have them play at the home fields of Group A. Which group will have the better record given what we know of home field advantage?

You have consistently wanted to endorse a system that many of us feel rewards Group A for remaining at home.

You will never win this argument because I think it is too stupid to consider any discussion. Fix the rpi.

Not if you look at the results of the last two decades and think. Anything else is an substantiated opinion.

I will agree that the rpi probably needs to be enhanced. I have my opinion what would make it better and you have your opinion. But WCWS result verify the rpi is presently very comprehensive and accurate in its analysis and seedings. You keep moaning about home field advantage for the SEC. Look at the numbers for 2018 for the final top ten and the number true road games they played. They are FSU 21, Oregon 16, UCLA 15, OU 13, Washington 19, Florida 19, ASU 13, Georgia 13, South Carolina 20, Tennesssee 17, LSU 16, Arizona 17, Kentucky 21, A&M 15 and Alabama 20.

Do you observe that 4 of the top 6 teams in number of road games played are SEC teams and 2 are Pac 12 teams. The three teams with the lowest number of road games are Georgia, ASU and OU. Playing road games is not an issue with SEC and Pac 12 teams it is a strength.

They play more road games, they play more top 25 teams, they play more top 50 teams, they play more top ten non-conference games and 6 SEC teams and 3 Pac 12 teams played more top 100 teams than the Sooners. No top team goes on the road less than OU. It is all documented in the final Nitty Gritty report.

It is not the rpi that is the big problem it is the weak conference schedule of the Big 12, ACC and B1G that distorts the rankings to the favor of the SEC and Pac 12.

Hint three road games at top ten Florida, Georgia, South Carolina or Tennessee is more significant than a neutral site game against top 10 ASU, UCLA, Arizona or a couple of home games against South Carolina.

What you have is totally an undocumented opinion that the rpi is distorted with no statistical evidence to support your position. What the NCAA has is decades of rpi seedings and WCWS tournament results to support the accuracy of their seedings. Your position is very weak.

But I too would like to see frequent rpi enhancements to what I think would be better but I too like you have no evidence that the changes would improve the accuracy of the rpi. My opinion like yours are both worthless and substantiated by nothing. The rpi is high accurate when comparing annual seedings to annual results for the last 20 years. It is what it is.

https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/Stats Library/2018 SB Final Nitty Gritty.pdf

Last edited:

I will agree that the rpi probably needs to be enhanced but rpi is presently very comprehensive in its analysis. You keep moaning about home field advantage for the SEC. Look at the numbers in 2018 look at the final top ten and the number true road games they played. They are FSU 21, Oregon 16, UCLA 15, OU 13, Washington 19, Florida 19, ASU 13, Georgia 13, South Carolina 20, Tennesssee 17, LSU 16, Arizona 17, Kentucky 21, A&M 15 and Alabama 20.

Do you observe that 4 of the top 6 teams in number of road games played are SEC teams and 2 are Pac 12 teams. The three teams with the lowest number of road games are Georgia, ASU and OU. Playing road games is not an issue with SEC and Pac 12 teams it is a strength.

They play more road games, they play more top 25 teams, they play more top 50 teams and 6 SEC teams and 3 Pac 12 teams played more top 100 teams than the Sooners. No top team goes on the road less than OU.

It is not the rpi that is the big problem it is the weak conference schedule of the Big 12, ACC and B1G that distorts the rankings to the favor of the SEC and Pac 12.

Hint three road games at top ten Florida, Georgia, South Carolina or Tennessee is more significant than a neutral site game against top 10 ASU, UCLA, Arizona or a couple of home games against South Carolina.

What you have is totally an undocumented opinion that the rpi is distorted with no statistical evidence to support your position. What the NCAA has is decades of rpi seedings and WCWS tournament results to support the accuracy of their seedings. Your position is very weak.

But I too would like to see frequent rpi enhancements to what I think would be better but I too like you have no evidence that the changes would improve the accuracy of the rpi. My opinion like yours are both worthless and substantiated by nothing. The rpi is high accurate when comparing annual seedings to annual results for the last 20 years. It is what it is.

Hopefully White will improve Texas and OSU will continue to improve where both are top 15-20 teams on a consistent basis. If that happens most of the advantage of the SEC and Pac 12 in scheduling will go away and so will both your and my concerns regarding the rankings/seedings.

Listening to Patty's interview I thought that acquiring another catcher was imminent. Apparently not. She sounded excited and pleased to me.

Listening to Patty's interview I thought that acquiring another catcher was imminent. Apparently not. She sounded excited and pleased to me.

Agreed. It sounded like a done deal. Maybe there was just a delay in finalizing details for some reason.

I'm not so sure that the surprise that would come later didn't refer to Ricketts and Gourley rather than a catcher.

I'm certainly not against bringing in another catcher, or even two, if that's what Patty believes we need. However, it's my opinion that we already have one very capable catcher on our roster, and possibly others that could play the position well if called upon.

We have a roster full of superstar athletes. I'd be shocked if a few of them were unable to go behind the plate and do a great job. JMO

I believe the new catcher addition will be Berkley Faulkner who played at osu a couple of years ago. She has been attending OU as a student but has decided to return to softball and Patty has asked her to join the team.

Berkley posted this today on Facebook...

To all my friends that I do not get to directly communicate with I just want to let you all know that I have decided to come out of retirement (LOL) and play softball at the University of Oklahoma this year! I am very very excited to see what this year has to hold and to once again play the game that I love so much! Thank you to Coach Gasso for giving me this opportunity! I hope to see you all in Norman for a game or two! BOOMER!!

The last two games of the National Pro Fastpitch regular season will be the USSSA Pride vs the Chicago Bandits tonight and tomorrow.

Keilani and Lauren play for the Pride. Carosone plays for the Bandits. Relevance?

Keilani is 5-0 in a rather limited season due to playing with the USA softball team. She has pitched 34.0 innings and has allowed zero earned runs. That's about the equivalent of five shutouts in a row.

Lauren, despite missing the early part of the season while recovering from surgery has finally had the type of hitting year that we expected from her. Although she only has 73 at bats, she leads the league in home runs with 12 and is tied for third in RBIs with 29 (leader has 31). Two RBIs, and she might win both titles. She would be fifth in hitting at 370 if she had enough at bats to qualify, and her 932 slugging percentage would lead by about 170 points. If fact, if they pretended she had enough at bats to match the current number one, she has the total bases to win the slugging percentage race. Most have about 105-110 at bats.

Carosone is #2 in home runs with 11. They face off for the next two days. If Lauren would hit a home run, she would have among the top five of all seasons.

Shelby was down a bit in BA this year, about 280. She had 8 HR.

Nicole Pendley only hit about 140 with zero home runs, five RBIs.

Parker was 2-1 with an ERA of about 2.5.

I was looking at the USA team members that just qualified for the Olympics and will play Japan for the world title Sunday. Keilani Ricketts is the only former OU player on the team and the only member from a Big 12 school. Five members played for Florida. The team is comprised of 9 players from the SEC (5 schools), 6 (5 schools) from the Pac-12 and one each from the B1G and the Big 12. Florida and UCLA are the only schools with multiple players on the team.

https://newsok.com/article/feed/4765382/us-qualifies-for-olympics-with-japan-win-at-softball-worlds

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Softball/Team-USA/Women

I was looking at the USA team members that just qualified for the Olympics and will play Japan for the world title Sunday. Keilani Ricketts is the only former OU player on the team and the only member from a Big 12 school. Five members played for Florida. The team is comprised of 9 players from the SEC (5 schools), 6 (5 schools) from the Pac-12 and one each from the B1G and the Big 12. Florida (5) and UCLA (2) are the only schools with multiple players on the team.

https://newsok.com/article/feed/4765382/us-qualifies-for-olympics-with-japan-win-at-softball-worlds

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Softball/Team-USA/Women

The regular season is over. I don't know if they count post-season in the totals. Lauren needed a good night to get the sole lead in home runs and, at least, tie for the RBI lead. On her first at bat, she did single home a run to close to within one of the leader in RBIs. But, the next hitter singled home two and tied for the lead with 31 (Lauren finished with 30). She did get a walk to load the bases, but no other hits, finishing one for four. Unfortunately, Wiggins hit her twelfth home run, meaning that Lauren finished with a three-way tie. Carosone, Wiggins, and Lauren had 12.

Lauren did get close to Carosone's league leading 31 RBIs. But, Wiggins and Goodacre got four RBIs each, finishing with 33 and 35 to be #2 and #1 in the league. Carosone had 31, and Lauren finished with 30, despite having only 80 at bats.

Carosone also won the slugging percentage at 750. Lauren was at 862, but she didn't have enough at bats to qualify. Curiously, she had more total bases than did Carosone, but I guess they are strict about the rule. If she had just struck out about seven times in a row, she would have won it.

Keilani did end up allowing zero earned runs for the season, but with only 34.0 innings pitched. So, she was ineligible for an ERA title.

The Pride won the first game of the championship series with the Chicago Bandits, 3-2. Trailing 2-1, Shelby Pendley hit a two-run home run to win it. Hit it in the bottom of the fifth.

And, that is why you go to college. Good story.

Keilani pitched a three-hit shutout, and the Pride won game two, 3-0. Keilani has still not allowed an earned run this year (in about 42 innings).

RPI News (Saw this on the Men's board) ... The following article seems to apply to NCAA men's basketball.

1. Will "NET" replace "RPI" in other NCAA Championships?
2. Would the ranking be any different for the 2018 OU softball team under NET vs. RPI?

Maybe someone can do the calculations.

ESPN reporting ...

New ranking system developed for NCAA tournament, replacing RPI
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...4445390/ncaa-announces-new-ranking-system-rpi

Last edited:
Back