Softball

Just a guess but I think the delay was because they originally had the games scheduled on FXOK for 3:30 pm and 6:00 pm and they kept those times on a delayed basis instead of moving them to 2:00 pm/4:30. Hence fewer disruptions for the network.

Last edited:
Tomorrow's high temperature in Norman is predicted to be only 36 degrees. Likely to see steaming breath - - wonder if the cold weather makes errors more likely?

Does this hurt our standing as tourney time? Could have been a nice pair of wins for our resume.

Usually, we need several good out-of-conference wins because of our weak conference schedule.. This year, Texas has begun 16-1 with wins over Arizona State, Kentucky, and Wisconsin with the only loss to LSU in Clearwater. They get another shot at Wisconsin and Arizona State in Tempe today and tomorrow.

Texas Tech is 15-1 having opened with wins over Oregon, Arizona State, Wisconsin and Auburn. The only loss was to Washington at Cathedral City.

Texas is in the top ten, and Tech belongs there.

Oklahoma State also beat Arizona State and Kentucky. But, they have lost to Arizona, Notre Dame, and LSU.. They are 12-5 and probably about #20. The most recent polls have OU #4, Texas #9, Texas Tech #18, Oklahoma State #21, and Baylor #24 (although probably overrated). That is a lot stronger than the Big Twelve usually is.

I'm surprised to see the baseball team is playing today; why was softball cancelled?

Another board says travel plans? I think it may be that they don't really want to risk their pitcher's arms by having them throw four games in two days in cold weather. Rather have a healthy pitcher. But, I don't know.

Another board says travel plans? I think it may be that they don't really want to risk their pitcher's arms by having them throw four games in two days in cold weather. Rather have a healthy pitcher. But, I don't know.

Possibly true about injury potential. But I did notice that Oklahoma State played their double-header Sunday after also doing so Saturday. I hate to see the Sooners lose what could have been 2 wins ove top 25 teams as we will need those wins for the RPI come tournament time.

Travel time does not seem to be a logical excuse as the games had been moved forward and travel was already arranged for games being played later. I suspect UL and Oregon State felt they had played in enough cold weather after Saturday and preferred not to play. But who knows.

The Sooners return to action at 6 p.m. Tuesday against McNeese State. Here's a look at how the other in-state teams fared this weekend

Truth is, neither Louisiana nor Oregon State were willing to brave the miserable conditions just to get their a$$es handed to them again by a team they had virtually no chance of beating.

Upon further reflection, I can't say I blame them. :D

(Friday; March 8, 2019) ... Four Homers Propel OU to 7-0 Victory
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=211794480

NORMAN – Four players homered while Giselle Juarez and Shannon Saile combined on a one-hitter to lead the No. 3 Oklahoma softball team to a 7-0 victory over No. 25 Northwestern on Friday night at Marita Hynes Field.

With the win, the Sooners (17-2) extended their home winning streak to 38 games, good for the second-longest run in program history.

In the circle, Juarez improved to 7-0 on the year by allowing just one hit over 5.0 innings while striking out six and walking one.

Entering the weekend ranked second nationally in strikeouts per seven innings, Saile fanned five of the six batters she faced over the final 2.0 frames.

The Sooner offense was powered by home runs from freshman Grace Lyons and seniors Sydney Romero, Shay Knighten and Kylie Lundberg.

Remaining Schedule for this Weekend
Sat; March 9 ... Drake (1:00 pm) .. FSOK+
Sat; March 9 ... Grand Canyon (6:00 pm)
Sun; Mar 10 .... Northwestern (1:00 pm) .. FSOK

Tough week for some top 25 teams.

#1 Florida State lost to Grand Canyon, 5-3, and to Arizona 11-3 (5).
----first two loss
es

#4 Florida showed the problems of playing a weak schedule, losing two of three to Tennessee in Gainesville, FL Now 22-4.

#8 Georgia lost to Elon, 5-4.

#9 Texas lost two of three to Minnesota in Austin..

#10 LSU took two of three in College Station from A&M.

#12 Arizona lost two of three to Florida State in Tucson.

#13 South Carolina had played a pathetic schedule and was 18-2. #18 Kentucky was only 12-7, not all that imposing, but they had played some good teams. Kentucky went into Columbia, SC and swept three from SC.

#14 Arkansas, #16 Arizona State, #17 Indiana, #21 James Madison, #22 Minnesota, #23 Wisconsin, and #25 Oregon State all lost a game.

Tough week for some top 25 teams.

#4 Florida showed the problems of playing a weak schedule, losing two of three to Tennessee in Gainesville, FL Now 22-4.

#8 Georgia lost to Elon, 5-4.

#9 Texas lost two of three to Minnesota in Austin..

I don't think you can say Florida has played a weak schedule. To date they have played Michigan, #12 Arizona, Japan (exhibition), #16 ASU #2 UCLA (2), Oregon, #6 Washington and #7 Tennessee. That is 8 games against the top 16 teams plus Michigan, Japan and Oregon.

OU on the other hand has played #18 Kentucky, Notre Dame, #1 FSU, #2 UCLA, #12 Arizona and #11 Louisiana. That is 5 games against the top 18 plus Notre Dame. Which is definitely not as strong of a schedule as Florida has played.

Florida has 2 losses to #2 UCLA and 2 losses to #7 Tennessee. OU has 1 loss to FSU and UCLA. Florida has more losses which is not a positive but they have also played twice as many games against top 10 teams with 2 wins both shutouts to zero top 10 wins for OU.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/softball/d1/usa-today/nfca-coaches

Last edited:
I don't think you can say Florida has played a weak schedule. To date they have played Michigan, #12 Arizona, Japan (exhibition), #16 ASU #2 UCLA (2), Oregon, #6 Washington and #7 Tennessee. That is 8 games against the top 16 teams plus Michigan, Japan and Oregon.

OU on the other hand has played #18 Kentucky, Notre Dame, #1 FSU, #2 UCLA, #12 Arizona and #11 Louisiana. That is 5 games against the top 18 plus Notre Dame. Which is definitely not as strong of a schedule as Florida has played.

Florida has 2 losses to #2 UCLA and 2 losses to #7 Tennessee. OU has 1 loss to FSU and UCLA. Florida has more losses which is not a positive but they have also played twice as many games against top 10 teams with 2 wins both shutouts to zero top 10 wins for OU.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/softball/d1/usa-today/nfca-coaches

Of course you failed to mention that UF has played 16 of its 26 games in the state of Florida. OU has played only six of its 21 games in Oklahoma.

Makes a difference.

Of course you failed to mention that UF has played 16 of its 26 games in the state of Florida. OU has played only six of its 21 games in Oklahoma.

Makes a difference.

First my only point in my initial post was Florida did not play a weak schedule and I used the OU schedule as a comparison. The comparison confirms that Florida's schedule was a tougher schedule than OU's

Just as I failed to mention that Florida played ASU in Arizona and UCLA twice, Oregon and Washington in California I did not mention the Gators have future games with #1 FSU (2 games), #5 Alabama (3), #10 LSU (3), #20 Auburn (3) and #22 Minnesota (1). That is 7 games against top 10 competition 14 games against top 25 competition. For the season those numbers are 13 and 22.

OU has 3 future games against #9 Texas, #15 Tech and #19 OSU. That is 3 games against top 10 competition and 9 games against top 25 teams. For the season their numbers will be 5 and 14. Per my knowledge of math 13 is greater than 5 and 22 is larger than 14.

Conclusion: Florida has/is not playing a weak schedule. A fact you cannot dispute with credibility.

Florida schedule:

https://floridagators.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=404

In Tampa:
---Illinois State 6-20
---Michigan (rated, but is 12-10?)
---Arizona (over-rated at the time)18-7
---NC State
---UCF

In Gainesville
---UNF ?

In Tempe
---Illinois State 5-20
---Arizona State (another team that began overrated)19-7
---San Diego 9-14
---Utah State 8-11
---Central Michigan 9-14

In Jacksonville
---Jacksonville 11-12

In Gainesville
---Illinois State 6-20
---Florida A&M 6-17
---Illinois State 6-20
---Syracuse 8-13
---Syracuse8-13
---Florida A&M 6-17

In Fullerton
---UCLA 22-1
---New Mexico 7-16
---Oregon 11-10
---UCLA 22-1
---Washington 22-3

In Gainesville
---Tennessee 18-3
---Tennessee
---Tennessee

They get a soft SEC schedule with only LSU and Alabama among the better teams.

A tougher schedule than OU? Really? Let's revisit whether any of their opposition merits being in the top ten when the season is over.

---look at how soft the bulk of that schedule is. Half of those teams couldn't beat a top ten team on a bet.

---we don't really know how good a couple of these are. LSU and Alabama don't travel 300 miles from home as a rule.

---the only thing they will have any record on is the usual SEC ratings bias. Can any of them beat Texas Tech?. They show Arizona State as a ranked team. Thus far, ASU has lost to Texas twice, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State. They did beat Kansas. Arizona did lose to Florida in Tampa. Of course, they also lost to NC State and S Florida in Tampa. OU beat them in Palm Springs.

I question whether Florida is as good as Texas Tech. Are they about the same as Oklahoma State and Texas? Are there four teams in the SEC as good as Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Texas, and Oklahoma State?

Florida schedule:

https://floridagators.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=404

In Tampa:
---Illinois State 6-20
---Michigan (rated, but is 12-10?)
---Arizona (over-rated at the time)18-7
---NC State
---UCF

In Gainesville
---UNF ?

In Tempe
---Illinois State 5-20
---Arizona State (another team that began overrated)19-7
---San Diego 9-14
---Utah State 8-11
---Central Michigan 9-14

In Jacksonville
---Jacksonville 11-12

In Gainesville
---Illinois State 6-20
---Florida A&M 6-17
---Illinois State 6-20
---Syracuse 8-13
---Syracuse8-13
---Florida A&M 6-17

In Fullerton
---UCLA 22-1
---New Mexico 7-16
---Oregon 11-10
---UCLA 22-1
---Washington 22-3

In Gainesville
---Tennessee 18-3
---Tennessee
---Tennessee

They get a soft SEC schedule with only LSU and Alabama among the better teams.

A tougher schedule than OU? Really? Let's revisit whether any of their opposition merits being in the top ten when the season is over.

---look at how soft the bulk of that schedule is. Half of those teams couldn't beat a top ten team on a bet.

---we don't really know how good a couple of these are. LSU and Alabama don't travel 300 miles from home as a rule.

---the only thing they will have any record on is the usual SEC ratings bias. Can any of them beat Texas Tech?. They show Arizona State as a ranked team. Thus far, ASU has lost to Texas twice, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State. They did beat Kansas. Arizona did lose to Florida in Tampa. Of course, they also lost to NC State and S Florida in Tampa. OU beat them in Palm Springs.

I question whether Florida is as good as Texas Tech. Are they about the same as Oklahoma State and Texas? Are there four teams in the SEC as good as Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Texas, and Oklahoma State?

Syb, there is NO WAY the Big 12 is better than the SEC in Softball. Give me a break on the Texas Tech thing, they have a lot to prove. Texas has a good coach now and raided Oregon.

As for Florida, they are 22-4 losing two to UCLA and two to Tennessee (18-3). Anyone who doesn't think Tennessee is tough in softball hasn't been paying attention over the years. If they had lost to Florida Atlantic, I would be concerned. They still have to go to LSU (21-5), play Bama (25-0), have a pair with #1 Florida State, and play Auburn (22-4). There are not any easy games on their conference schedule. On top of that, the Gators still have 3 time All American Kelly Barnhill on the mount which makes them a tough out.

Back