Softball

Have you actually studied what has happened this year, or are you going by the past?

Despite the rankings attempts to rank the top teams correctly mistakes are more prevalent earlier in the season. Schedules are also made prior to the season so schedule strength is somewhat like a preseason ranking a SWAG. But SOS via the RPI is finalized only after the conclusion of the regular season and conference tournaments. So the early season bias is minimized. They do allow the RPI committee to have subjective input in the final RPI rankings/seedings but that seem to be a detriment more so than an enhancement. Too many occurence like what happend to Minnesota in 2017.

OU by necessity plays all road games in February because of potential inclement weather conditions. Virtually all February games are scheduled in California, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas and Arizona. But the RPI system make allowances for the necessity to play games away from home like some teams (OU) must early in the season.

The RPI formula values each road victory as 1.3 instead of 1.0. Each home win is valued at 0.7 instead of 1.0. Conversely, each home loss counts 1.3 against a team’s RPI and each road loss counts 0.7 against a team’s RPI. Neutral-site games have a value of 1.0, but the committee is studying how to determine if a game should be considered a neutral-site contest.

The net of all of this is winning a 3 game conference series on the road nets 3.9 RPI points, a neutral site 3.0 points and at home 2.1 points. Win a series on the road 2 games to 1 and the RPI points gained are 1.9 points net (1.3x2=2.6-0.7=1.9) and win a series 2-1 at home and the net is 0.1 points net (0.7x2=1.4-1.3=0.1. Hence winning a split series on the road awards 19 times the points (1.9) as winning a split series on the road (0.1). I think that is too much of a descrepancy. Perhaps a 0.2 or 0.25 variance would be more effective than 0.3. But the NCAA has the historical data I don't.

This methodology is used because the home team historically wins in excess of 60% of the time. Hence theoretically a team is neither rewarded or penalized by RPI for were the games are played.

The RPI despite a very high level of historical seeding success is far from perfect and the NCAA's implementation of the NET system to replace RPI in MBB is an attempt to improve the RPI seeding process. If it is successful it would be logical to expect its future use in WBB, baseball and softball. For certain the effort and desire to future enhance the seeding process is ongoing by the NCAA as seen with NET implementation.

Regardless Syb will not be happy because the NCAA did not allow him to subjectively seed the teams. And he knows only he can get it right. :ez-laugh:

Last edited:
Regardless Syb will not be happy because the NCAA did not allow him to subjectively seed the teams. And he knows only he can get it right. :ez-laugh:

Lol. Mr. Pot, let me introduce you to Mr. Kettle.

Have you actually studied what has happened this year, or are you going by the past?

Absolutely have studied what has happened this year. Florida is not any different than just about any year. I supposed you are going to compare them with Texas Tech. Tech is 24-1 but they have only played possibly four quality games this season if you count the depleted Oregon team. There is no comparison in schedule. Pitching and defense is always what it is about for winning in softball and baseball. You take Florida, they are currently the #1 fielding team in the country at .991, 14th in ERA at 1.65, and they have Kelly Barnhill 3X 1st Team All American on the mound adjusting to a new pitching coach. They lose 2 games to the #6 team in the country Tennessee and 2 games to #1 ranked UCLA and you are saying that Texas Tech is better than the Gators.

Texas Tech Softball Schedule

Lone Star Classic Conroe, TX
OMAHA W, 13-2 (5)
NEBRASKA W, 15-10
NEBRASKA W, 4-1
WISCONSIN W, 8-3
LAMAR W, 3-1

PLAINSMAN INVITATIONAL Auburn, AL
Drake W, 1-0
UAB W, 7-2
FURMAN W, 5-0
AUBURN W, 5-4
DRAKE W, 4-0

MARY NUTTER COLLEGIATE CLASSIC Cathedral City, CA
NO. 13/15 ARIZONA STATE W, 8-0 (5)
TEAM JAPAN (EXH.) L, 0-9 (5)
NO. 17 OREGON W, 5-0
SAN DIEGO STATE W, 7-0
NO. 5 WASHINGTON L, 1-4

TEXAS TECH INVITATIONAL Lubbock, TX
UT ARLINGTON W, 9-1 (5)
NORTH TEXAS W, 6-1
NORTH TEXAS W, 8-1
UT ARLINGTON W, 8-4

Lubbock, TX
UTEP (DH) W, 10-0 (5)
UTEP (DH) W, 16-8 (5)

JEANNINE MCHANEY MEMORIAL CLASSIC Lubbock, TX
NORTHERN COLORADO W, 8-0 (5)
GARDNER-WEBB W, 8-0 (5)
JACKSONVILLE STATE W, 11-3 (5)
GARDNER-WEBB W, 10-2 (6)
NORTHERN COLORADO W, 7-2

Actually, yes. I am saying that Tech may well be better than the Gators.

Look at the schedules in greater depth. Wisconsin is 21-3 and ranked. Auburn is ranked, although I'm not certain they should be. Tech went to Auburn and beat them. Tech was, for a while,, the only team to beat Nebaska who opened pretty strong, winning at NC State and Pitt, two each. They got hit in a west coast tournament field and suffered from a three-game wipeout in Wichita.

Those North Texas and Texas Arlington teams that Tech beat may not be in the top twenty. But, they have been beating Louisiana who is in the top twenty, and Baylor, who was. Oh, and Furman just beat Indiana which may be the best team in the Big Ten this year. I don't think Georgia would argue with that.

Man, you are not giving Tennessee any credit. I am excited for Texas Tech, they play Northern Alabama, Murray State, Memphis and Maine this week in Memphis. Hopefully, they will be 28-1 when OU goes to Lubbock next week. It should be fun.

By the way, anybody who doubts Tim Walton is foolish. Tim Walton is the winningest Softball coach in the country over the past decade. He has a higher winning percentage than Patti and that sounds impossible. Of course, he is an OU guy so I am biased. He was the starting pitcher in the National Championship game on the OU 1994 title team. He was also the hitting coach on Patti's 2000 OU National Softball Championship team. The bottomline is Florida is not dropping off.

Last edited:
It will definitely be better for the Big 12 and OU if the conference continues to improve. It would be great if a season's end in most years if OU, Texas, Baylor, Tech and OSU were top 25 teams. Everyone's RPI would be elevated and the Sooners could afford 2-4 conference losses and still make the top 8 for a home super-regional opportunity. OU has not lost more than 2 conference games since losing 5 in 2012.

http://soonerstats.com/softball/seasons/schedule.cfm?seasonid=2012

Man, you are not giving Tennessee any credit. I am excited for Texas Tech, they play Northern Alabama, Murray State, Memphis and Maine this week in Memphis. Hopefully, they will be 28-1 when OU goes to Lubbock next week. It should be fun.

By the way, anybody who doubts Tim Walton is foolish. Tim Walton is the winningest Softball coach in the country over the past decade. He has a higher winning percentage than Patti and that sounds impossible. Of course, he is an OU guy so I am biased. He was the starting pitcher in the National Championship game on the OU 1994 title team. He was also the hitting coach on Patti's 2000 OU National Softball Championship team. The bottomline is Florida is not dropping off.
You have a phone call from Kevin Lovingier on line 1...... ;)

Observations on the OU Softball schedule ...

(Last Year - 2018) The Sooners schedule had 54 regular season games, 22 of which were scheduled to be played in Norman at Marita Hynes Field.

2019 Oklahoma Softball Schedule
52 .. Total games scheduled (regular season)
15 .. Total HOME games scheduled (2 have been cancelled by weather)
37 .. Games scheduled AWAY from Norman, Oklahoma

2019 Big-12 Conference Games Only
04 .. Home Games .. Baylor (3); OSU (1)
14 .. Away Games .. 3 Each @ TTU; KU; Texas; ISU; plus 2 games @ OSU

One reason for the Home/Away imbalance in the 2019 Big-12 schedule is that the three 2018 games schedule to be played last season at Iowa State were moved to Norman due to weather. So, in 2018, OU played 14 of 18 conference games in Norman.

Obviously, the bulk of the Non-Conference schedule each season is played in warm-weather tournaments and most of those games are neutral site games.

The Point: I wish OU played more home softball games in Norman; but, with the timing of the season and the weather ... it is what it is. Hopefully, the team will get more home games by hosting the NCAA regionals and super-regionals.

I tend to agree that Florida is not dropping off. Indeed, in another post somewhere on this board, I used the disgust of a few Florida fans on robocoach who thinks he has lost his mojo since it has been a while since he won---like about three years. Except for the fact that I called him Murphy, having Bama's coach's name stuck in my mind, I still tend to like his work at Florida.

But, I do not buy into the SEC's scheduling ambushes. Get on the road and play someone. Florida has been doing more of that this year than usual.. But, they are still heavily committed to playing in Florida. Look at the schedules of the SEC teams. They may get out of the area one time for five games, excepting for Kentucky. They like to bring in an occasional Big Ten team and ambush them with southern cooking which seems to account for their rpi. The Big Ten simply can't play at home until late spring.

Speedy: You're absolutely right about the lunacy of UF fans who are calling for Walton to be run out of Gainesville.

Softball fans – like football and basketball fans – are a fickle lot.

Softball update from Eric Bailey...

Oklahoma
Record: 20-2

Looking ahead: Oklahoma journeys to southern California for five games at the LMU/CSUN Tournament. The Sooners will play UC Santa Barbara and co-host Loyola Marymount on Thursday, Dartmouth and co-host Cal State Northridge on Friday and Illinois on Saturday. North Texas visits OU at 6 p.m. Wednesday.

Looking back: The Sooners swept through their OU Tournament with four victories — two over Northwestern as well as Drake and Grand Canyon.

OU 12 Santa Barbara 1

----Santa Barbara scored in the first when the first of the four strikeouts reached first when the third strike got away from Elam, and she threw just enough wildly to first to pull Green off the bag. A two-out double scored her.

----Lopez struck out thirteen in 5 1/3. At one point, she had ten Ks and nine outs.

---OU didn't get a hit until two out in the third. Rogers singled, Alo doubled, and OU tied it at 1-1.

---It remained 1-1 until the sixth. OU scored five in the sixth and six in the seventh to make a close game look like a blowout.

----Lopez: 13 Ks, 1 BB, 1 hit, 1 unearned run

OU 12 Santa Barbara 1

----Santa Barbara scored in the first when the first of the four strikeouts reached first when the third strike got away from Elam, and she threw just enough wildly to first to pull Green off the bag. A two-out double scored her.

----Lopez struck out thirteen in 5 1/3. At one point, she had ten Ks and nine outs.

---OU didn't get a hit until two out in the third. Rogers singled, Alo doubled, and OU tied it at 1-1.

---It remained 1-1 until the sixth. OU scored five in the sixth and six in the seventh to make a close game look like a blowout.

----Lopez: 13 Ks, 1 BB, 1 hit, 1 unearned run

If it walks like a duck, looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it obviously IS a duck. :ez-laugh:

Oklahoma 14 Loyola Marymount 0 in 5

PERFECT GAME FOR JUAREZ

Alo had a home run and seven RBIs.

Softball YTD season stats for top Big 12 teams:

Team--------ERA-----OPP ERA-------BA--------Runs--------HR
OU----------1.17--------7.24--------.352-------174---------38
Baylor------3.25--------3.15--------.268---------86---------12
Tech--------1.91--------7.26--------.363--------187--------34
Texas-------1.38--------6.32--------.343-------173---------15
OSU--------2.44--------5.86--------.307-------154---------30

Back