Softball

The WCWS may not remain in OKC as long as contractually signed to do so, if the Oklahoma State Legislature continues on path to and passes a bill prohibiting transgendered students from participating in sports in the gender that is their preference, and not their birth. If that happens don’t be surprised if NCAA pulls the tournament elsewhere

The contract between the NCAA and the All Sports Association (now the city of OKC) is extensive and required massive financial consideration on the part of Oklahoma City in expanding and refurbing ASA Hall of Fame Stadium.

Should the NCAA decide to move the WCWS it is a certainty that OKC would sue the NCAA for millions of dollar and like a hundred million plus when you consider all of the revenue lost by the businesses of OKC and the tax revenue earning lost by OKC.

Were OKC to win the lawsuit is would easily bankrupt the NCAA. Maybe that would be the simple solution to resolving the NCAA and making it history.

The contract between the NCAA and the All Sports Association (now the city of OKC) is extensive and required massive financial consideration on the part of Oklahoma City in expanding and refurbing ASA Hall of Fame Stadium.

Should the NCAA decide to move the WCWS it is a certainty that OKC would sue the NCAA for millions of dollar and like a hundred million plus when you consider all of the revenue lost by the businesses of OKC and the tax revenue earning lost by OKC.

Were OKC to win the lawsuit is would easily bankrupt the NCAA. Maybe that would be the simple solution to resolving the NCAA and making it history.

Agreed. Tell the NCAA to bring it on!

While I was watching the first game of the doubleheader yesterday, it seemed as if the strike zone was huge when we were batting. We were already ahead by double digits when I noticed this. I remember thinking that maybe the umpire wanted the beat down to be over and that I was glad it wasn't a close game.

Coincidentally, I was listening to the radio on my way home later that evening and a guy called in to request a song. He said he was bushed because he had umpired 2 games that afternoon. He said both games were blowouts, 19 - 4 and 15 - 2 or something like that. Then he said, "The strike zone was pretty big in those games!" He didn't say what level he was umpiring.

Do umpires regularly do that in blow-out games? I know if youth basketball they swallow their whistles somewhat when it's late in the game and one team has an insurmountable lead.

If the umpire in today’s game had expanded the strike zone, I wouldn’t have blamed him one bit. Poor guy was injured twice on deflected balls that had to hurt more than his pride. He was still behind the plate in the fourth inning when OU put on an offensive show that saw sixteen runs cross the plate to give the Sooners a 20-0 lead. The game ended mercifully 20-0 in five innings.

OU swept the three game series with Texas Tech 40-0. That is not a typo! This OU team is really that good.

e was still behind the plate in the fourth inning when OU put on an offensive show that saw sixteen runs cross the plate to give the Sooners a 20-0 lead.

It was actually 18 runs in that inning (OU was leading, 2-0, entering that frame). The Sooners batted around two times-plus (23 total batters, I think). Two different Sooners (Alo and, I think, Mendes, but I could have that wrong) had three hits each in the inning.

It was actually 18 runs in that inning (OU was leading, 2-0, entering that frame). The Sooners batted around two times-plus (23 total batters, I think). Two different Sooners (Alo and, I think, Mendes, but I could have that wrong) had three hits each in the inning.

I’m sure you’re right. The numbers were so incredible, I couldn’t wrap my head around what I was seeing.

This team is so much fun to watch. Sooner fans who haven’t seen them play don’t know what they’re missing. As proof of their dominance, yesterday’s game was the 28th time a game has been decided in early innings by run rule.

Looking only at Power 5 school's national rankings for games through the Georgia series OU ranks #1 in BA, OBP, scoring, slg%, HRs and HRs/g. The #1 OU .439 and #2 the whorns .368. OBP #1 OU .519 and #2 the whorns .441. Scoring #1 OU 11.57 r/g and #2 Kentucky 7.39. Slg% #1 OU .847 and #2 Arizona State .636. HRs #1 OU 104 (now 111) and #2 Arkansas 82. HRs/Game #1 OU 2.97 and #2 Arizona State 2.03.

As stated above these numbers do not include the Texas Tech series where we hit .436 (34/78) and hit 7 dingers. Also has scored at least 5 runs (5) in every game except the 2-1 exhibition win over Mexico and their pitcher Sierra Hyland is considered one of the AAU top pitchers world wide.

https://stats.ncaa.org/rankings?sport_code=WSB&division=1

https://www.oudaily.com/sports/ou-s...cle_ae8e0ba4-8a91-11eb-8b7c-eb1d5f39cbdb.html

Should the pukes win the series with the whorns next weekend the OU at Stoolwater against the pukes May 7-9 will be for the Big 12 conference regular season championship. The Sooners are 14-0 and the pukes are 11-1 and could be either 14-1 or 13-2 by winning the whorn series. Were they to sweep the whorns to go to 14-1 and then sweep the Sooners they would be 17-1 and OU would be 15-3. If they win 2 of 3 from the Sooners after sweeping the whorns they would be 16-2 and the Sooners would be 15-2. The pukes win the regular season in both instances. They could also win 2 of 3 against the whorns and sweep the Sooners to win the Big 12.

The pukes have 2 starting pitchers Carrie Eberle 16-1, 0.81 era, 112.1 innings and allows 1 HR every 22.5 innings and Kelly Maxwell 13-1, 1.16 era, 78.1 innings and allows 1 HR every 15.6 innings. For OU "G" is 15-0, 1.96, 82 innings and allows 1 HR every 6.8 innings and Saile is 11-0, .080 era, 52.2 innings and allows 1 HR every 17.6 innings. These numbers do not include the Baylor doubleheader.

OSU has Power 5 wins over Arkansas and LSU (2). OU over Arizona State, Missouri (2) and split with Georgia. OSU was also 1-2 against Wichita State. OU plays Wichita State Tuesday May 4 at Wichita.

Patty will have the Sooners pumped come May 7.

https://stats.ncaa.org/team/522/stats?id=15620&year_stat_category_id=14861

https://stats.ncaa.org/team/521/stats?id=15620&year_stat_category_id=14861

Last edited:
Let me be the first on this board to stick my neck out.

OSU has no chance of winning the series with OU.

Decided to do a little analysis looking at "G"'s progress in the circle. During the non-conference season she had a 2.69 era and allowed a HR every 5.6 innings which is not good for the OU ace. During the conference season against better hitters she had a 1.30 era and allowed a HR every 8.6 innings. Just for fun I dropped the first conference season game (ISU) in which "G" went two innings allowed 2 dingers and 3 earned runs. Drop that game and for the balance of the conference season and she has a 0.85 era and allowed a HR every 13.7 innings which is getting much closer to what we need to expect from "G" in the post season if we are to make and win the WCWS.

Moreover we have 4 great regular season games remaining to further test "G". We play at a good Wichita State Tuesday, May 4 that has wins over ISU and 2 over OSU followed by 3 games in Stoolwater against the pukes. Wichita State is a good hitting team with lots of power (81 HRs/44 games, #5 nationally) a great test for "G". The pukes are excellent in the circle with the #5 nationally ranked era and #3 in shutouts.

I tuned in to the first Baylor game late. Baylor was up 1-0 and we had just made some great defensive plays in the prior inning. As I watched it occurred to me that it was a good situation for our hitters to be in. Coming up to bat when you are down one run with only 2 or 3 innings to go is an entirely different experience than coming up to bat when you are ahead by 5 or six runs. The Sooners didn't flinch under pressure but Baylor did. Nicole Mendez took advantage of Baylor errors to hit a grand slam home run.

I'm glad we close out the regular season against good teams.

I tuned in to the first Baylor game late. Baylor was up 1-0 and we had just made some great defensive plays in the prior inning. As I watched it occurred to me that it was a good situation for our hitters to be in. Coming up to bat when you are down one run with only 2 or 3 innings to go is an entirely different experience than coming up to bat when you are ahead by 5 or six runs. The Sooners didn't flinch under pressure but Baylor did. Nicole Mendez took advantage of Baylor errors to hit a grand slam home run.

I'm glad we close out the regular season against good teams.

That game was one of my favorites this season. We were hitting the ball hard but in the first few innings, Baylor played great defense, robbing us of several base hits. I was just starting to sweat a little, thinking that maybe it just wasn't in the cards when boom--the Sooners rose up and took control. That grand slam was definitely a season highlight.

Last edited:
That game was one of my favorites this season. We were hitting the ball hard but in the first few innings, Baylor played great defense, robbing us of several base hits. I was just starting to sweat a little, thinking it might be one of the games that it was just wasn't in the cards when boom--the Sooners rose up and took control. That grand slam was definitely a season highlight.

Nicole Mendes is one of my all-time favorite Sooner players. When she was a freshman in 2017, her teammates called her the team's best player. Injuries and the arrival of so many studs/superstars (Alo, Jennings, Coleman, Hansen, et al) have relieved her of that title, but Mendy still makes huge plays, both in the field and with the bat.

Absolutely loved seeing her hit that first pitch for a grand slam.

Nicole also heavily engages the OU fans in the outfield. She constantly urges them to cheer, stand and clap. Move her from RF to CF and she will have both sections engaged often multiple times per inning.

She is really pumped during the games and wants the fans to be the same.

Puke ace throws complete game in 3-1 win over whorns in Austin. Take series opener.

Poor Texas!

Except for the dollars I wonder if whorn coach Mike White is happy to be in Austin. I feel certain he expected to come to the lowly Big 12 bring 5 of the WCWS Oregon stars including his ace pitcher to the whorns and soon be on par with the Sooners perhaps even dominate in the future.

Instead he is 0-6 against the Sooners being outscored 46-9 and is 1-4 against the pukes and potentially 1-6 after his 3 years as a whorn. For certain to date coaching the ducks was a lot more fun and successful than coaching the whorns.

But today I am certain he feels more than challenged playing the Sooners and pukes 3 times annually.

Though it doesn't break my heart when Texas falls short of expectations, it should be noted that Texas's star pitcher/hitter Miranda Ellish opted out for the season. She's a conference POY type player, and they would be much stronger with her.

Pukes win game 2 over whorns 5-1 on a complete game 2 hitter to win the series. The whorns are defensively terrible had 2 errors yesterday and 3 today. They had 8 errors against the Sooners and 55 for the year.

Back