Some interesting RSCI & McDAA stuff...

elmocarp

Reaction score
I've posted a couple of times about Cam's chances of being a McDonald's All-American on here, but for some reason I keep going back to it. I'm like that guy in the Aronofsky move "Pi"...I'm freaking obsessed and I'm convinced their is some pattern that will help me discern how it all works.

Anyway, I just thought I'd go through and look at last year's RSCI and how looked against the McDonald's roster...nothing earth shattering, but hopefully some of you will find it interesting...

The highest ranked player by RSCI who didn't make the game was Mouphtaou Yarou , who is ranked #12. The next highest were Daniel Orton (#19), Jordan Hamilton (#22), Elijah Johnson (#25), Lorenzo Brown (#26), Thomas Robinson (#28) and John Jenkins (#29).

The lowest ranked players that were selected for the game were Peyton Siva (#27), Tommie Mason-Griffin (#30) and the Wear brothers (#37 & #38).

Of the guys listed above who didn't make the game, Orton was injured and Brown and Robinson played at prep schools. I could be wrong, but I think the other guys were eligible for the game and just weren't chosen. Does anyone have any idea why Yarou and Hamilton were left off the team? Especially Yarou...I just find this stuff interesting for some reason...

Looking at the year previous, Delvon Roe was the highest rated player not to make the game at #10. Others were DeQuan Jones (#21), Howard Thompkins (#24), and J'Milson Morgan (#25).

The lowest ranked players that were in the game were Mike Rosario (#31), Sylven Landesberg (#33) and another UNC guy, Larry Drew (#44).

So, in both years there were only three guys in RSCI's top 24 who didn't make the 24-man All-Star team, and only two of them were higher than #19. So basically, Cameron is on the bubble. Sitting at #25 puts him pretty much in the coin flip territory. I think it helps that he is one of the elite prospects from Texas, since it such a well covered territoty, but Perry Jones is getting all the love right now, and don't be surprised if Pressey sneaks up there.

Anyway, I think I'll do this for a couple more classes just because its oddly interesting to me. I'll post them as I get them...

Hamilton did not play high school ball last year, I believe. This is why he was not chosen.

If you are on the bubble name recognition, elite school, and positional depth have a lot to do with it. Oh, and also what region the game is in can influence those last picks as well.

OK, here's 2007...

The highest rated players to not make the game were Anthony Randolph (#14) and DeAndre Jordan (#15). Others were Jamel Horne (#22), E'Twaun Moore (#23) and Gary Johnson (#25).

The lowest rater players to make the game were Corey Stokes (#26), Chris Wright (#28), Jai Lucas (#32) and James Anderson (#33).

Were Randolph and Jordan prep school guys, I can't remember? If not, were they grade risks?

Also, I remember Jordan Hamilton had some unusual circumstances around him, does anyone remember what they were?

OK, here's 2007...

The highest rated players to not make the game were Anthony Randolph (#14) and DeAndre Jordan (#15). Others were Jamel Horne (#22), E'Twaun Moore (#23) and Gary Johnson (#25).

The lowest rater players to make the game were Corey Stokes (#26), Chris Wright (#28), Jai Lucas (#32) and James Anderson (#33).

Were Randolph and Jordan prep school guys, I can't remember? If not, were they grade risks?

Also, I remember Jordan Hamilton had some unusual circumstances around him, does anyone remember what they were?

He was denied eligibility during his last year of high school...sounds like California didn't honor his transfer request.

OK, so here's 2006...

The highest rated player not to make the game was Damion James (#15), followed by Derrick Caracter (#17), Stanley Robinson (#18), Duke Crews (#22), Paul Harris (#23) and Brian Zoubek (#25).

The lowest ranked player in the game was Baylor's very own Tweety Carter, who was ranked #69. That is the lowest ranked RSCI player by a mile to make the game in any of the years I've looked at. I'm guessing it was an acknowledgement of his high school scoring record. Anyway, the other lower ranked guys to make the game were James Keefe (#38), Scotty Reynolds (#37), D.J. Augustine (#29) and Jon Scheyer (#28).

'06 was definitely the most unconventional year out of the few I've looked at. But of course, 2005 is the really wild one...the last year they allowed prep-to-pros and a class that was full of weirdness...

All right, so 2005...what a weird year that was. In the year of the OSU mega-class, Keith Brumbaugh was ironically the highest rated player not to make the McDonald's game at #11. Andray Blatche (#18) and Brandon Rush (#23) were the only other top 24 players not to make the team, and neither of them was eligible (Brumbaugh may not have been either).

The lowest ranked players were some real doozies though. Eric Boateng (#39), Luke Zeller (#34) and maybe the worst of all time in my opinion, Bobby Frasor (#31).

The really interesting thing about 2005 is how the NBA draft absolutely murdered the class that year. I know a lot of people aren't big fans of the one-year rule, but I have to admit that I prefer it to the way things had gotten. Check out the guys from the McDonald's game who ever played college ball:

Monta Ellis
Martell Webster
Louis Williams
Andrew Bynum
C.J. Miles
Amir Johnson
Gerald Green

And that doesn't include Blatche and Brumbaugh, who didn't make the game.

Besides all that, this may have been one of the worst classes ever, or at the very least, the worst evaluated. Josh McRoberts was the consensus number one player in the country. Hansbrough was #4, which was obviously pretty good, and I guess Julian Wright and Mario Chalmers at #6 and #8 are ok, but you've also got Richard Hendrix at #7, Tasmin Mitchell at #8, Greg Paulus at #13. Danny Green was a nice player at #15 and John Brockman was solid at #17, but the sheer mediocrity of the rest is pretty underwhelming. Brandon Costner (#19), Byron Eaton (#20), Micah Downs (#21), Eric Devendorf (#22) and Marcus Ginyard (#29). Then throw in the washouts like Shawne Williams (#27) and Marcus Williams (#30) and it really is one of the sorriest collections of players I can remember.

Good stuff Elmo!!! Thanks for doing the research.

Elmo, nice work and all, but you may need some new hobbies...

Elmo, nice work and all, but you may need some new hobbies...

Lol...there is actually a site that had it all done for me, all I had to do was type what was already there. I would have done a copy-and-paste but I didn't know how to make it transfer without screwing up all the margins. And links are no good, cause no one bothers to check them out.

Anyway, that kind of stuff is just fascinating to me to look back on. Looking forward, we look at all of these guys as sure fire players, but many of them don't even become legitimate contributors. Its also interesting to see how the decision of school seems to effect a lot of the kids. Not to over-generalize, but you tend to see a lot of wash-outs/underachievers at the mid-level SEC schools (LSU, Alabama).

Anyway, have no fear about my hobbies...I stay pretty busy...

A few minor observations...

You could definitely say that Texas had the most near misses for recruits in the McDonald's game...They had Damion James, Gary Johnson and Jordan Hamilton who were all close to making the game but didn't. Also, C.J. Giles was committed but decided to go pro.

And the gripes about UNC and Duke getting McDonald's love looks to be pretty legitmate...Just look at some of the bums they got into the game (relatively speaking):

UNC...

The Wear twins, Larry Drew and Bobby Frasor...Plus Marcus Ginyard was a top-30 player for them.

Duke...

Taylor King, John Scheyer and Eric Boateng...Plus Doug Zoubek was a top-25 player for them.

Lol...there is actually a site that had it all done for me, all I had to do was type what was already there. I would have done a copy-and-paste but I didn't know how to make it transfer without screwing up all the margins. And links are no good, cause no one bothers to check them out.

Heh, alright then. Definitely is interesting to see some of the misses by the recruitnics and the love that Tobacco Road gets in the Burger game.

Heh, alright then. Definitely is interesting to see some of the misses by the recruitnics and the love that Tobacco Road gets in the Burger game.
Good info,no Randolph,did not prep he went to woodrow wilson in dallas.I think Cam, have a good chance because he done well at the Vince carter, camp and the Lebron, from what i heard.IF the decision makers follow him this season and see what that kid is playing with, then they should give it to him lol.

Good info,no Randolph,did not prep he went to woodrow wilson in dallas.I think Cam, have a good chance because he done well at the Vince carter, camp and the Lebron, from what i heard.IF the decision makers follow him this season and see what that kid is playing with, then they should give it to him lol.

Just so we all are clear, I think Cam is one of the very best wings in his class and certainly should be in the game (or the Jordan game, whatever). I feel like Barnes is 1 and then Cam is in the group with Will Barton and Reggie Bullock. I feel like he is ahead of some other wings that are ranked a little bit ahead of him like Jelan Kendrick and Jereme Richmond.

My point in showing these past results is just to show that he is right in the range now to make the game. Now, a lot may have to do with how his senior season goes and we'll see how the final rankings turn out, but I think his profile is strong enough right now that he has the opportunity to make the squad. I do think Henzo is right though...he has to overcome some guys that people are more familiar with. I know that Mouphtaou Yarou (Villanova) had a similar situation last season, had a huge jump in the final rankings (wound up #12) and still missed the game. It can be a bit of a crapshoot...

Speaking of which, I know a lot of people were surprised when Jai Lucas made the team a few years back. When that happened, a lot of people suggested that having high profile family members helps so much with your name recognition that it can help you get on the team. So, could Pressey, or even McCallum or Zeigler make the team due to their well-known fathers? I guess I could see it since all three are in the 30-40 range in the rankings, but it may be tough for Pressey or McCallum. There are a ton of good point guards coming out this year, and even if they overload the team with them there may not be enough room for them.

Just so we all are clear, I think Cam is one of the very best wings in his class and certainly should be in the game (or the Jordan game, whatever). I feel like Barnes is 1 and then Cam is in the group with Will Barton and Reggie Bullock. I feel like he is ahead of some other wings that are ranked a little bit ahead of him like Jelan Kendrick and Jereme Richmond.

My point in showing these past results is just to show that he is right in the range now to make the game. Now, a lot may have to do with how his senior season goes and we'll see how the final rankings turn out, but I think his profile is strong enough right now that he has the opportunity to make the squad. I do think Henzo is right though...he has to overcome some guys that people are more familiar with. I know that Mouphtaou Yarou (Villanova) had a similar situation last season, had a huge jump in the final rankings (wound up #12) and still missed the game. It can be a bit of a crapshoot...

Speaking of which, I know a lot of people were surprised when Jai Lucas made the team a few years back. When that happened, a lot of people suggested that having high profile family members helps so much with your name recognition that it can help you get on the team. So, could Pressey, or even McCallum or Zeigler make the team due to their well-known fathers? I guess I could see it since all three are in the 30-40 range in the rankings, but it may be tough for Pressey or McCallum. There are a ton of good point guards coming out this year, and even if they overload the team with them there may not be enough room for them.
I agree i think we as fans of this kid,should campaign to the scout.com,rivals,texashoops.com and rsci for him to become a mcda.Portland, done it for Brandon Roy, to get in the Allstars,last year.We should do it for this kid, then they would see he have fan recognition,when you think about the mcda games it is about ticket sells,and ratings which equals money,when they see that this kid have a big fanbase, they may pay more attention to what he has accomplished.

I agree i think we as fans of this kid,should campaign to the scout.com,rivals,texashoops.com and rsci for him to become a mcda.Portland, done it for Brandon Roy, to get in the Allstars,last year.We should do it for this kid, then they would see he have fan recognition,when you think about the mcda games it is about ticket sells,and ratings which equals money,when they see that this kid have a big fanbase, they may pay more attention to what he has accomplished.

Chico,

I think OUHoops.com is doing its part:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIAPn5pKMoA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIAPn5pKMoA[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGYbGqgGLNs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGYbGqgGLNs[/ame]

He is in the group below Barton and Bullock who are both Top 10 kids, imo. That's why he's on the bubble, for some reason I'm now changing my mind and think he has a decent shot to make it.

Back