Some notes from Capel's Sports Animal Interview

Sooner23

Reaction score
Capel was on with Eschbach and Rohde earlier tonight, and despite the fact that only two of the seven questions they asked him were OU basketball related, there was some good info out of the interview.

* TMG has some sort of back injury and won't be playing in the Faith Seven game.

* Didn't close the door on signing another player in the late period. Said it would need to be an impact player, because they have six ships to give for next year's class and feel "really, really good" about what they've got going. When he said "really, really, good" he said in an excited mini-laugh tone, which is encouraging.

* Asked about big men for next year, and said it's going to be by committee and that they feel good about the guys they have. Said Allen and Wright are better than they showed, because they just didn't get enough time to get comfortable with Blake, Taylor and Pattillo getting a bulk of the minutes. No follow-up questions about offseason workouts for the guys or about the newcomers.

* Also mentioned there were some possibilities of some transfers they were looking at.

* Other misc. stuff: Is a Laker fan and is picking L.A. He doesn't like the rule that a player should stay one year in college if he comes out. Says he thinks they should have the option of going pro out of high school, and if they choose college they must stay two years.

* Laughed when asked about Tramel's article stating that Blake and his father should tell the Clippers they don't want to play there and force them to trade him or draft someone else. Said that Blake and his dad weren't the type of people to do that. Said Blake was excited about the possibility of living in the big market of L.A. and helping them turn things around.

* Also mentioned that his dream job is to be an NBA General Manager, which I thought was interesting.

There you go.

Last edited:
Thanks, 23. :clap

In Al and John's defense, Capel gave like 5 minute answers to each question, so there wasn't much time ask many follow-up type questions.

One other point, Capel used the phrase "minimal chance" when describing rather or not they would take another guy during the 2009 class. That, along with his tone, is as close to closing the door on this year's recruiting as one could get.

I was really excited to hear how excited Jeff was about the potential of the 2010 recruiting class. :jcapel

I was really excited to hear how excited Jeff was about the potential of the 2010 recruiting class. :jcapel

The tone of that answer was almost as if he knew he had a couple other studs in the bag. :chestram2:

Thanks for the report, Sooner23! I hope Capel's excitement about the 2010 recruits means OU is on their way to signing another top ten class. We're definitely in a good position with the number of high-profile players we're in on right now.

It's also great to hear Coach is a Laker fan! :dance005:

Too bad TMG doesn't get to play in the Faith 7 game.
His back injury must be pretty serious. Anybody heard anything about that?

* Other misc. stuff: Is a Laker fan and is picking L.A.
* Also mentioned that his dream job is to be an NBA General Manager, which I thought was interesting.

There you go.

He'll be a Clipper fan soon enough, just like the rest of you!!

-ClipperSooner

Too bad TMG doesn't get to play in the Faith 7 game.
His back injury must be pretty serious. Anybody heard anything about that?

Either that or it is such that if he played it could get worse.

Sounds good to me. Jeff can stay at OU for just a while, say 25 years. And then he can become GM for the Thunder. That sounds about right to me.

Back