Some thoughts.....

SoonerfanTU

Banned
Reaction score
Great win today, glad the fans showed up and created a great atmosphere. That was nice to see.

- Is Tony playing hurt, or does he always wrap his stomach like that? An injury might explain why his offense has suffered a bit in recent weeks. Still a man's effort from him today against the bigger, more highly recruited James.

- Cade played a great game as well. I'd still love to have the depth to bring him off the bench in a slightly more limited role, but the kid has been big time of late. Our best "position" defender, and the guy that is always giving 100%. I've been critical of him in the past, but he is finally putting it together, even more so, then I thought he could.

- I was proud of Willie today. He didn't force anything on offense, even deferring most of the time. And his attitude was good. Nice job Willie.

- Holy crap Ryan Wright. Where has that been? There is NO reason he can't give us some version of the Wright we saw tonight more often. That baby hook is a pretty nice shot.

- TMG played a great first half. Glad he didn't force his shot when he was guarded better in the second, but he has got to learn to give the ball up sometimes. Lost it a couple of times trying to beat two men, when he should have made the easy pass, against the press. I don't think there is any doubt that we're a better team with him handling the ball, then Willie.

- Tiny. :( He just isn't doing much of anything right now. Out of position. Looks like Willis on offense (before the last game), in that he doesn't know how to get his shot within the offense. Didn't rebound strong. Didn't defend. Still out of shape. I really, really don't know what to think of him, other than I hope Capel recruits enough depth to push him next year.

- Thought Fitz and Pledger both played well too. Both stayed within themselves, played pretty good defense, hustled, and didn't hurt the team while playing more minutes then they might normally. Gosh I wish Pledger could get a couple of shots to fall though.

Very soon we're going to have to find a way to win when we aren't knocking down 8 out of 11 or so (TMG and Cade in the 1st) 3's. That isn't going to happen very often. Glad it did today, but we really need to find a way to score it when those shots are taken away, or aren't falling. And if anybody can explain our post defense once a guy gets the ball, and we're behind them, but aren't doubling, I'd like to here it. We always seem out of position when they make one, simple post move. Kills me.

Tiny will get better but I was glad that Capel limited his minutes today. This was not the game for him to learn on the job. Ryan Wright played one of hist best games. Fitzgerald is showing improvement. Pledger stepped up and made his FTs at a critical time.

I never would have thought that TMG and Davis would be the offensive stalwarts on this team but they are now. I guess that somewhat explains our record but it would be worse if they weren't stepping up.

- I was proud of Willie today. He didn't force anything on offense, even deferring most of the time. And his attitude was good. Nice job Willie.

He took one shot. I would say he deferred a lot, lol.

Willie and Tony really shouldn't be playing but we really don't have a choice but to play them both. Willie may have a type of injury that will hamper him the rest of the year. I think Tony gave his all today, he didn't do much in the box score but he did a great job on defense helped a lot with the double teams. With a team as big as Texas is we needed some defense to force them to be a jump shooting team. They really don't have a lot of guys that can make jumpers in a constant basis we did a great job in keeping them from dominating with points inside.

The only real big negative today is the guy that's become a huge disappointment in recent weeks. Gallon. He plays like his nickname. It's really a shame because he's so talented but he has looked more and more lost as the year as gone on.

The only real big negative today is the guy that's become a huge disappointment in recent weeks. Gallon. He plays like his nickname. It's really a shame because he's so talented but he has looked more and more lost as the year as gone on.

None of this would have happened if we had all just agreed to call him Keith...

He took one shot. I would say he deferred a lot, lol.

More importantly, he made that one shot. BTW, is that going to be your only post after beating a top-10 team? When OU loses, we're forced to read about a hundred of your posts.

TU, you made some really good points. I can't say there was anything I disagreed with.

Um, can you guys settle your scores someplace else or something? You're harshing my mellow...

Tony I won't comment anymore towards him my friend, but I had to remind him. I'm with you. Let's enjoy this victory. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

- Cade played a great game as well. I'd still love to have the depth to bring him off the bench in a slightly more limited role, but the kid has been big time of late. Our best "position" defender, and the guy that is always giving 100%. I've been critical of him in the past, but he is finally putting it together, even more so, then I thought he could.

You want to limit his role? He is playing great why do you want to limit his role?

Last edited by a moderator:
- Cade played a great game as well. I'd still love to have the depth to bring him off the bench in a slightly more limited role, .

That is crazy talk. Why? He is playing great. He's even putting the ball on the floor regularily and getting to the hoop. The last place he needs to be is on the bench...

Pittman and James only combined for 22 points today. Our post defense - while never great - was ok today.

I would not want Jordan Hamlton on my team...

I want Cade out there as much as possible. What a joke.

Faithful, I never said we have no chance. Please stop making stuff up, and creating drama like a little school girl.

I want to limit Cade's role b/c I still think he has limitations. You guys act like he has shot the ball that way all year, the way he did in the first half. That just isn't the truth. He was still 6 of 16 for the game (not good), and 4 of 11 from three (solid, not great, and above his season average). Even after this game, he is still at about 33% for the year. The reason his percentages are so low, both on the year, and for this game, is that he is being asked to do WAY more than he should be. The kid should be Jason Detrick, or another good Sooner guard that came off the bench. If you all don't see that, fine, but that is the way I see it. Alot of folks are being asked to do more than they should this year. Pretty much everybody except Willie and Tiny. Over-exposed. That is the perfect term for it.

That is crazy talk. Why? He is playing great. He's even putting the ball on the floor regularily and getting to the hoop. The last place he needs to be is on the bench...

He isn't playing great. He shot 37.5% from the field today, that is not good. The reason his percentage is so low, is b/c he is being asked to do too much.

Just think back to the "good" OU teams. On most of them, does Cade start, or come off the bench? And don't compare his numbers to a player on those teams, or compare him head to head, simply ask yourself, if he is on that team, does he start or come off the bench. I think you know the answer to that yourself.

Heck, he wouldn't even start this year if we were healthy and had decent post play. He wouldn't start over TMG, WW, or Crocker, if healthy.

Pittman and James only combined for 22 points today. Our post defense - while never great - was ok today.

They also missed 11 FT's, and we doubled Pittman most of the day. Gary Johnson the other "big", also had 11 points. Our post D wasn't good today, by any stretch.

Maybe I should clarify my position on Cade.

On this team, this year, I want him playing a bunch. I just feel like if OU has a legit top 25 team, and top 3-4 Big 12 team, that Cade is "probably" coming off the bench.

Like I also mentioned above, he'd probably be coming off the bench this year anyways if we had the post play to start and play two posts most of the game.

We suck...why even be a fan if you can't get any enjoyment from a win. Must be a sad existance,.

Back