Sooner recruits in action tonight

Seymore Cox

Reaction score
Cameron Clark had 16pts in a winning effort and 24pts in a losing effort tonight. Jarion Henry had 18pts in a winning effort. TJ Taylor had 8pts in a 2pt loss by Denison. Julius Randle and Zach Peters scored 20 and 17pts respectfully in a two point win by Prestonwood.

hsgametime.com/dfw

LeBryan Nash (2011) had 27 points in one of Lincoln's wins today. Keaton Miles (2011) had 9 in that game.

Marcus Smart, a guy to watch in 2012 had 20 and 21 in two wins for Flower Mound Marcus.

So I ask this in all honesty, what are you guys expecting out of TJ next year ? Ive watched film on the kid but wonder what you guys thought.

Who are Henry, Randle and Peters? I've never seen those names on here before.

So I ask this in all honesty, what are you guys expecting out of TJ next year ? Ive watched film on the kid but wonder what you guys thought.

Before you read what I say, here is a caveat: I literally have no idea what I am talking about.

That being said, I expect from Tj for next year to be a role player. He will get minutes, but don't expect a large impact. If he can adjust to D1 defense fairly quickly he may (optimistically) get 15 minutes per game. Realistically, he may get a little less than 10 per game and spend a lot of the season developing his game and learning the system as all freshman do. He can do a lot of things though that will help him.

He has good handles, can run the 1 as a back-up to TMG, can get to the rack and seems to be willing to buy into a team concept. Given that those are things Capel looks for in players, I see him getting around 10 minutes per game all season. I think he won't lose minute during conference games or in the conference or NCAA tournament if he is prepared. With the way Capel coaches that is a compliment. from what I can see, he likes to give young players minutes early and continue to give them PT if they perform. However, you rarely see an increase in minutes from OU players from conference time on.

So, I think TJ's impact can be that he is one of our best bench guards as he develops his game for a 4 year career at OU. by the end of which I expect him to be a really good player. For some reason I get the feeling he will be like Croc or AJ and will be a nice player that can impact the game in a number of ways, but his streaky shooting could lead to certain fans (aka morons) not appreciating some of his contributions.

EDIT: I retrospect I guess my caveat applies to all message board posts.

Last edited:
If OU doesn't sign another back up Point Guard I can definitely see him as the back up point guard next year. He has pretty good court vision and good enough handles to be a PG in spot time. Also it seems he has good instincts on defense which combined with his work ethic might be a way for him to find PT. I think he could have similar sleeper potential to Pledger this season. Little bit of a diamond on the rough but of course I'm being optimistic about him.

A starter by year 3. Defense. Ability to take the ball to the hole. backup pg first two years. Basically Cade Davis.

You mean Missouri doesn't now about them?

A starter by year 3. Defense. Ability to take the ball to the hole. backup pg first two years. Basically Cade Davis.

I think that's a good call.

TJ will play big minutes before his time is through at OU. I feel really confident in saying that. Why? Because he works extremely hard on defense and in the weight room, he already has a Big 12 build, and his skill set is very conducive to team basketball.

I have gotten to see him play a couple of times now, and have come away very impressed. He can finish in traffic. His jumper has good rotation and comes off with the proper trajectory, and he has good midrange touch. He is also a really fine passer and plays within himself and within the team.

Now that being said, you asked about next year. I think a lot of that depends on whether or not Coach Capel decides to sign a point guard. If he doesn't, then TJ will have a great chance to assume the back-up pg role, and will probably get at least 8 minutes per game. If the Sooners land McCallum or take another PG prospect, then I wouldn't be surprised to see TJ have to wait a year to really get to contribute, as Cade and Pledger would certainly be ahead of him, and Cam and RayRay will be competing with him for remaining minutes.

Mark my words though, TJ will be a really big impact guy for OU during his career. I am very glad that Coach Capel was able to sign him.

Also, don't let his ranking fool you. T.J. Taylor was primed for a breakout AAU summer with Team Texas that would have vaulted him up the scout and rivals rankings (he was already in the 30s for ESPN). Unfortunately, he broke his ankle right before the big tournaments got underway, and his stock really fell....

Henry is Skeeter Henry's son. I don't know who Peters is. Is he related to the Peters family that has had lots of people play football at OU?

Henry is Skeeter Henry's son. I don't know who Peters is. Is he related to the Peters family that has had lots of people play football at OU?

different backgrounds. The Peters family thast I believe you are talking about originate from Pauls Valley. This Peters is a White kid who's one of the top 2012 kids in the nation out of Plano Prestonwood. Peters does have OU family ties and is coached by Jeff Webster.

The kid Cameron clark,had28pts,7rbs,1blkshot,3asst in a win over saches i forgot the score,he had 16pts,4rbs,3asst,1dunk,1blkshot,with a win against N.Mesquite 55 to 51 he also had 2dunks and 1stl against Saches,he had 25pts,6rbs,4blkshots,3asst,2dunks and 3 3s against a hard lost to Rowlett,for got that score.

Back