Sooner senior shows flexibility

bluesooner17

Reaction score
Oklahoma guard Gabbi Ortiz making her point — as a shooter

The question was asked to Oklahoma senior guard Gabbi Ortiz.
“I don’t really think that there is a story,” she said. “I got pushed over to the two and my role is to knock it down.”
The “one” is the point-guard position. The “two” is the shooter.
Simple enough, but given Ortiz’s history, it’s a bit of a shocker. Not just that it’s happened, but how promising the move appears to be.
Also, in the space of a week, it could look even better.
At 8 p.m. Tuesday, the Sooners take on Colorado State in Fort Collins. At 4:30 p.m. Saturday, they take on Oregon in Eugene. Then, at 6:30 p.m. Nov. 28, they’re at Little Rock.
OU will be happy if Ortiz simply keeps doing what she’s been doing. Given the return of Maddie Manning for a sixth season
and the emergence of Canadian freshman Shaina Pellington, the Sooners have two strong options at point guard.
Manning, committed to leading and playing assertively in her last go-round, at 6-foot-2, has size few others points can claim. Meanwhile, Pellington is an athletic upgrade who demands minutes. Also, it turns out, Ortiz can really shoot the ball.
Through three games, she’s hit 10 of 23 from 3-point land, a 43.5 percent clip after shooting 31.3 percent each of the last two seasons.
Ortiz’s 45 points, total, give her a 15-point average, 6.1 higher than last season’s 8.9.
And, though she may not be running the point any longer, don’t think she has become any less important in the Sooners’ scheme on either side of the ball.
Of 125 possible minutes so far this season — it took 5 minutes of overtime for OU and DePaul to finish on Nov. 13 — Ortiz has played 119, 23 more minutes than Manning, the next busiest Sooner.
Additionally, though freshman Ana Llanusa is very promising, OU appeared to bring back no natural
3-point gunners from last season. Instead, they seem to have created one in Ortiz.
“That is my role this season and I have taken that to heart and I want to be that knock down shooter,” she said. “I have put in the time in the gym. I love to shoot.”
It may seem to be a radical departure for a player who started at the point as a freshman and was an All-Big 12 first-team preseason pick entering her sophomore season.
Whatever, it’s working.
“Gabbi has a clearer head,” OU coach Sherri Coale said. “She’s a better shooter because she has a clearer head.”
Coale made the case that the new role simply suits Ortiz better.
“She’s spent every waking moment of her life since
she was 5 years old in the gym. It wouldn’t be possible for her to put any more time into developing as a shooter,” Coale said. “She’s doing what she’s always done.
“The difference now is a shifted priority. Instead of shooting being the second, third or fourth option, shooting is option one. The other stuff that she’s still really good at, she’s playing an even better floor game now.”
Ortiz indicated what’s possible when she made 6 of 13 from long range against Central Oklahoma in the Sooners’ first exhibition contest.
Last game out, she led OU by netting 20 points, hitting 5 of 11 3-pointers along the way, against SMU.
“It’s been fun,” Ortiz said. “It’s a different perspective … I want to be the knockshooter for my team.”

Back