Sooner Transfer Barry Honoré Info

If he had only gone to a Junior College first...

LOL. I know. This transfer from a d-1 school has just thrown everybody off. If he had come from a juco we would be hearing about how great he is and having everybody choose which side they are on as far as being excited or dissapointed about getting another juco. But since he's not a juco or a MAA it's like nobody knows how to feel about him.

Hard to get too excited about this. First when I saw Freshmen of the Year I was thinking ok Maybe he is pretty good even though he played in the SWAC. But I mean c'mon guys, he is 6-7 and averaged less than 9 points in both his Freshmen and Sophomore season in a greatly inferior conference. How are we supposed to get excited about a kid who didn't even improve from year 1 to year 2 at a crappy school. If we were talking about some dominant force that averaged 15-20 ppg and 10+ rebounds and just decided he was too good for that level than I'd understand and might be excited about the transfer but as or right now it looks like we just added another average post guy. Hope the 3 other signees are very good. If this is our 5th best signing than I can live with it.

If Capel wants him, so do I. :boomer

Capel has signed some big time players thanks in large part to getting Blake, but he has been very hit or miss so far on the recruiting trail. Let's be honest, just because he wants this kid doesn't mean he is going to be a big impact player.

Hard to get too excited about this. First when I saw Freshmen of the Year I was thinking ok Maybe he is pretty good even though he played in the SWAC. But I mean c'mon guys, he is 6-7 and averaged less than 9 points in both his Freshmen and Sophomore season in a greatly inferior conference. How are we supposed to get excited about a kid who didn't even improve from year 1 to year 2 at a crappy school. If we were talking about some dominant force that averaged 15-20 ppg and 10+ rebounds and just decided he was too good for that level than I'd understand and might be excited about the transfer but as or right now it looks like we just added another average post guy. Hope the 3 other signees are very good. If this is our 5th best signing than I can live with it.

I hope that folks aren't getting the impression that this guy is going to come in and score and be sort of star post player. Again, this is what was told to me:

He has good size. He is a decent shooter. He won't be a star at Oklahoma, but he can be a solid player off of the bench

He has a nice frame on him. The workout program at Southern is not very strong, so you have got to think that he can get stronger and learn the offense well during his year off at Oklahoma. Losing Ryan and possibly Tiny means that the staff needed to get some bigs with experience to help fill in the gaps in two years.

Agree with this 100 percent. The more I think about it, the more puzzling it is to me to give this guy a scholarship. Hope I'm wrong and Capel's uncovered a gem.

Last edited:
This all makes sense now that he is apparently just a walk on. He may prove to be worthy of a scholarship eventually but based on his resume it would be a big reach for us to be using a scholarship on a player of this caliber this early. We all have seen how good Ryan Wright is, or is not, and he was a UCLA transfer. This guy averaged 8 points in 2 years for a low major school, big deal? Anyway, I hope he turns out to be a good get, but no way should this be a scholarship player at this point in the recruiting season.

Agree with all of this.

Back