Stat of the night?

Although I am not usually a fan of early three point shots, they still beat the heck out of heaving up something with the shot clock running out.

Absolutely, and why take a poor percentage three at the end of the game when a good percentage two will win the game!!!!!!!! Not smart basketball.JMO

I remember in middle school, our first game of the year, our coach made us pass the ball 4 times before we shot. We lost by 20, dropped the clown rule, and went 20-1.

In your scenario, what if the 4th guy was wide open and his name was Tommie?

Yes but he had seen Hoosiers and it worked in Hoosiers.

Perhaps it is because they didn't let him get away with his 2 "go-to" moves. 1 being the forearm shiver, the other being the wild and incomprehensible lowering of the shoulder and just running over people. What clown he was acting indignant after they called him on it the 6th time he did it.

And what was Reese doing? He would just karate chop everybody he was guarding, even guys he wasn't guarding. One time they were just dribbling up the floor and he literally put his headband on and karate chopped 2 guys down the floor.

You're absolutely right about Singletary, play. I couldn't believe the officials kept letting him get by with using his forearm or shoulder to get around his defender. Then, when he finally got called for it, that innocent/wounded look he gave the official would have made a buzzard gag.

Yes but he had seen Hoosiers and it worked in Hoosiers.
Haha true. The demographics of this team was sliiiiiightly different than Hickory. By slightly I mean I was the lone white guy. We weren't drawing up any picket fences. :ez-laugh:

You're absolutely right about Singletary, play. I couldn't believe the officials kept letting him get by with using his forearm or shoulder to get around his defender. Then, when he finally got called for it, that innocent/wounded look he gave the official would have made a buzzard gag.
Yea he got called twice, one for the shiver and one for the shoulder, and he could have been called for 5 of them. (only 5 because he can't have any more, lol) It's not a bad strategy, as he thinks there is no way they can call it every time, so what's 2-3 fouls when I can run over people all game and lay the ball in. Russell Robinson had a similar thought process when he played defense for KU, just rip people's arms off all game, afterall they won't call it every time.

Last edited:
Russell Robinson had a similar thought process when he played defense for KU, just rip people's arms off all game, afterall they won't call it every time.

This may perturb a few on here, but many fans around the Big 12 thought that was the #1 staple of Sampson's defenses at OU. Grab and pull because they won't call it every time.

This may perturb a few on here, but many fans around the Big 12 thought that was the #1 staple of Sampson's defenses at OU. Grab and pull because they won't call it every time.
Many fans were wrong. Using hands is the exact opposite of what he taught.

Yep.

There are a few different ways to play good, or aggressive defense. I think KU reaches and slaps more than any other team. They get up in you face, and they want to turn you over. Kelvin taught more of a "be in the right place, contest shots, don't get burned, heavy on the help defense and rotations" type of defense. Completely different, yet both are effective.

I agree....just heard about it non-stop when Sampson was the coach. OU's teams were physical on the defensive end, so I can understand it a bit, but it was nothing like Robinson at KU.

If we'd quit jacking them up on the break, and from 5 feet behind the line with 28 seconds left on the shot clock, we'd shoot them better ourselves.

Exactly! The team took good shots in transition or in the flow of the offense against Texas on Saturday. Last night was an entirely different story. Many of the 20 shots OU missed from three were not good looks. The shots were forced, taken too far behind the line or taken out of rhythm too early in the shot clock, which greatly diminished the chances of shooting a decent percentage.

I agree....just heard about it non-stop when Sampson was the coach. OU's teams were physical on the defensive end, so I can understand it a bit, but it was nothing like Robinson at KU.
Yea, he is the only one in recent memory where guys would leave the floor with bruises all over their arm, bleeding everywhere. A few guys even had to get transfusions after the game due to the blood loss. He left his fingernails in people all the time, and he would intentionally let them grow out to exact as much flesh as possible.

Yea, he is the only one in recent memory where guys would leave the floor with bruises all over their arm, bleeding everywhere. A few guys even had to get transfusions after the game due to the blood loss. He left his fingernails in people all the time, and he would intentionally let them grow out to exact as much flesh as possible.

If Robinson left fingernails in opposing players, Crocker and the other Sooners probably have elbow-shaped indentations in their chests today after being assaulted by Singletary last night. :ez-roll:

If Robinson left fingernails in opposing players, Crocker and the other Sooners probably have elbow-shaped indentations in their chests today after being assaulted by Singletary last night. :ez-roll:
Undoubtedly.

Back