Staying home

bluesooner17

Reaction score
Norman High junior guard Kelbie Washington commits to Oklahoma

By Joe Buettner
Transcript Sports Writer

Kelbie Washington asked herself, “Why wait?”

Her heart was with her hometown university, even before the coronavirus disease forced the Oklahoma Secondary Schools Activities Association to cancel the Class 6A state basketball tournament and prematurely end her junior season.

So, Washington made her college plans public.

“This has been the hardest decision of my life,” Washington wrote in a tweet posted Wednesday afternoon. “… I am looking forward to playing at the highest level and be successful at home. Just a Norman High girl living her dream. With that being said.. I made the decision to go to the University of Oklahoma.”

Yes, Norman High’s star point guard is staying home, making her verbal commitment to OU a month after receiving her Sooner offer.

Washington chose coach Sherri Coale’s program over offers from Oklahoma State, Army, North Texas, Wichita State and Oral Roberts, among others.

She felt Norman was ultimately her best landing spot.

“You know, I really was looking for any school where I can fit best,” Washington said, “and that was OU.”

Coale and the Sooners are trying to regain their place in the top half of the Big 12 after two consecutive losing seasons. In Washington, they’ll get one of country’s top 2021 prospects.

ESPN.com lists the guard as a four-star prospect, ranking her 60th overall and the 15th best at her position nationally among high school juniors. Her offer list exploded last summer following NHS’ 2018-19 state championship run.

Extending her basketball career at a major conference program has long been her goal. And OU’s proximity was tough to pass up.

“I’m a Norman kid,” Washington said. “It’s different for somebody who may come out of state. I’m right here, and my family’s here.”

‘Here’ is where Washington as a sophomore last season led NHS to its first state championship since 2005. The young Tigers were 17-6 in the regular season and lost a regional championship game to Putnam City West, but didn’t lose the rest of the way.

Washington’s squad was on a different level, though this past season.

The top-ranked Tigers suffered just one loss, a Dec. 3 defeat at Deer Creek, and won their next 22 games, leading to a state tournament quarterfinal date with Edmond North.

NHS and the rest of the remaining state tournament teams saw their seasons end without a conclusion.

Washington is eager for her final shot at state glory next season, especially with her college decision made.

“It was a big disappointment, and especially, us Norman girls, we knew what we were capable of,” Washington said, “and we put so much hard work and dedication into the season. … It was devastating but the only thing we can do is look forward and do it next year.”

Back