Summer Pick-Up Game Report #5

I'm going to attempt to forego a needlessly long-winded response and just get down to the bottom line. I realize you are on the Ray Willis band wagon pretty heavily, and you are certainly well within your rights to see the potential in someone. However, bottom line: Ray hasn't proven that he deserves those minutes, yet.

What I've heard is that he is working hard - that's a step in the right direction.

I haven't seen his name in the papers - also good.

I've heard he is putting on some good weight - excellent.

Now for a something that could be considered a negative:

Ray is still trying to learn how to effectively be a team player, such as when to shoot and when to pass - not so good. For a team to reach its full potential, people have to be on the same page.

One of the first reports said of Willis: "the potential is there; Ray just has to reach it."

That says it all, to me. Ray has some control in the situation. He may never be the worker Cade is, but he can improve his minutes per game by working hard on the things he doesn't do explosively, like defense. We've got guys that can score, and now we even got a guy in Pledger who can score AND seems to have a zeal to defend. Ray just has to find the defensive mindset to go with his offensive one, and also show that he can adjust his game to suit the team's needs. Willie did it last season when he shifted from his high school role of a prolific scorer and became a distribution guy with some scoring bursts mixed in. If Ray can learn to assume a similar role, his minutes may improve at the same time. Of course, Cade - being the consummate hard worker - will also be working overtime to improve his game.

That's why I'm not the only one who sees the potential in Cade; it's not hard to pull for and believe in a guy who adheres to Capel's "falling in love with the process" philosophy. Cade's going to be in the gym everyday and give his best in all aspects of the game. If Ray is willing to sustain his work ethic, then I would not be upset if he garnered more minutes of the two.

So much for just a short response. I suppose I could have just said, "Ray hasn't proven he deserves those minutes, yet." But I'm sure that would have just turned into a thing where it wasn't detailed enough and I would have just had to make this post explaining it in a more definitive manner.

Adieu

The only player we have on our roster right now that has proven they can bring it night in and night out is Willie Warren. You really can't give anyone else the benefit of the doubt. Now it sounds like he's taken over the point guard spot, it looks like he'll be a star next year.

Back