Summer Pickup Games Update #2

our coaches think we have a great shot of getting better players

Yep, they have made that mistake before. John Roberson averaged 14.4 points, 3.6 rebounds, and 6.4 assists per game for Tech as a sophomore. OU ended up with nothing.

If Capel took Roberson instead of waiting on "better" players, OU might have cut down the nets last year.

PG: John Roberson (all conference, see above)
SG: Willie Warren (Possible player of the year, probable lottery pick next year)
SG: Tony Crocker
PF: Taylor Griffin (second round pick)
C: Blake Griffin (#1 pick)

Yep, they have made that mistake before. John Roberson averaged 14.4 points, 3.6 rebounds, and 6.4 assists per game for Tech as a sophomore. OU ended up with nothing.

If Capel took Roberson instead of waiting on "better" players, OU might have cut down the nets last year.

SG: Willie Warren (Possible player of the year, probable lottery pick next year)

And OU probably doesn't have TMG either then.
I'd rather have TMG than Roberson.

You think Roberson is enough for us to beat UNC? Really?

You think Roberson is enough for us to beat UNC? Really?

Uhhh, no. The grass is always greener on the other side. AJ would have avg 14 a game for Texas Tech.

OU played AJ at point guard out of necessity. There isnt one thing (other than defense, which has more to do with coaching for Roberson) that AJ does better as a point guard than Roberson. He cant shoot as well, create as well, score as well, pass as well, etc. Roberson is better in every way.

So yes, I think if you have such a drastic upgrade at point guard with Warren and Blake Griffin you have a chance to beat USC.

I'd rather have TMG than Roberson.

I would have rather had the best possible team with Blake Griffin... Plus, OU would still have Roberson for two more years.

Great report, thanks!

The thing that still scares me about Big O, abd, is that I don't see how he and Tiny will be able to play together on defense. Who guards the other team's 4 (Ex OSU's Obi Monuelo)?

This is the give-and-take of Travis Ford and his quirky gameplan. I'd just play our bigs (Big O and Tiny) if that's OU's best option and see if Obi is hot from outside. He won't be able to score inside and OSU won't be able to stop Tiny on the other end if they choose to play Obi on him.

Sometimes you just do what you do best and make other teams worry about that instead of catering to the opponent.

OU played AJ at point guard out of necessity. There isnt one thing (other than defense, which has more to do with coaching for Roberson) that AJ does better as a point guard than Roberson. He cant shoot as well, create as well, score as well, pass as well, etc. Roberson is better in every way.

You didn't include mass of balls in your assessment

I don't know that I agree Roberson is a better player than AJ. AJ had a lot of injuries. When he was finally healthy for most of a season, he had a pretty good year. I can think of at least two road games (Baylor and OSU) and USC at home where OU loses without AJ.

I think Roberson is probably a better player than AJ but it's not by a whole lot and certainly not enough to make the difference between OU and UNC last year. That's just silly talk.

Back