Summer Pickup Games Update #2

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
As always, this is complied from several sources, and is here just to give us all a little Sooner hoops info to make it through the summer. Just because a player isn't mentioned doesn't mean that he isn't doing well....

Ok

TMG: The big question on everyone's mind revolves around TMG's back injury that has kept him out of the early workouts and the F7 All-Star game. Well never fear OUhoops.com because TMG is back at work and the back is fine! I try not to Facebook creep too much, but this quote of his from a few weeks ago caught my eye and I found it worth sharing:

ima changed man...i'm so focused now.

The best thing that I have heard about TMG is that he has always worked really hard in the weight room since he was pretty young. He has some serious upper body strength.

Steven Pledger: I know many of you were wanting some Bird Man info last week and so was I so here it goes: Steven is on campus and working hard. In fact, he has been getting to the gym early and working out with some of the training staff to get in more shots. He is enjoying being with his teammates. He is slightly shorter than Ray Willis but has some pretty good bulk on him And one report I got said that he has been racking up some steals on D during pick up. That's a good sign if he wants to get some good court time next year.

Drew Fitzgerald: Got a report saying he may be in the 6'7 range, but whether he is an inch taller or shorter than that still probably means he will be more of a power forward type (which many of us expected). He really has a high motor, and once he bulks up, should be a factor on the glass in the Big 12.

Tiny Gallon: I dug and got some more info on his inside game. He has a really soft touch with both hands and has shown a mean drop step move during pick up. Lots of dunking going on right now in pick up by Tiny. Two people both emphasized how good he is looking running up and down the court during pick up. He has fun out there while he plays and is not a selfish basketball player. He has more length than the Griffins and hopefully can use that to his advantage on defense.

Tony Crocker: One guy called him "the silent leader" of this team. He knows what the guys need to do in order to be ready for fall practice. He is taking his senior leadership role seriously.

Ryan Wright: Got told that his jumper looks "about the same" and he also looks the same on the glass, which is not great news. Let's hope that he can get comfortable out there quickly next year and not play so tentative. The same guy told me that between Ryan and Orlando right now, "Big O is def winning. Hands down." Let's hope Ryan can pick it up and make this a good race for pt.

Willie Warren: Vocal and focused. He has seen the latest draft projections (one site has him 3rd in next year's draft), and he wants to get there. One guy told me that the most exciting thing to watch during the early pick up games has been Warren battling with Ray Willis. He said that it is competitive and very fun to watch.

Ray Willis: Looking really good offensively. Still has a ways to go in becoming a true team player, and learning when to shoot and when to pass. It may be a tough thing to judge during pick up without the coaches there. One thing is clear, the potential is there; Ray just has to reach it.

Kyle Hardrick: At this point, it appears that Hardrick is retaking an English class that he needs for OU, and will join the team shortly there after. I don't think he is in any kind of academic trouble, but you never know...

Recruit Rickey Scott: Told a source (a different one than James Hale) that he "absolutely loved his trip" (to Norman last weekend). Scott is quite the Sooner fan and grew up cheering for OU. Jerry Meyer of Rivals.com called him "perhaps the strongest guard in the 2010 class". He is built a little bit like Terrence Boyd (in other words a linebacker!). When asked about going to OU he said:

oh really!. i hope i can get that offer

While he doesn't have an offer at this time, I'm sure that Capel and Cline are giving him a hard look. He is rated as the 5th best player in Texas by Rivals.com.

Recruit Micheal Cobbins: This long, lefty, power forward is shooting up the national charts and will most likely be in the 50-75 range by next update. He is quite a power dunker and really works hard on the court. I had someone close to his recruitment tell me that OU and he are in communication and that there is mutual interest. We might need to snag him up before OSU does!

I will try to keep this stuff coming this summer as I know that many of you are as thirsty for Sooner hoops tidbits as I am....

-BT

Re: Summer Practice Update #2

What are you calling "practice?"

pick up games. Its not organized or anything. Probably poor wording. My bad.

Edit: I have requested a name change so it doesn't throw anyone else off....

Last edited:

So, instead of posting about the stuff he posted this is what you chose to do?

Lame.

Steven Pledger: I know many of you were wanting some Bird Man info last week and so was I so here it goes: Steven is on campus and working hard. In fact, he has been getting to the gym early and working out with some of the training staff to get in more shots. He is enjoying being with his teammates. He is slightly shorter than Ray Willis but has some pretty good bulk on him And one report I got said that he has been racking up some steals on D during pick up. That's a good sign if he wants to get some good court time next year.

That would make him about 6'5'' if he were slightly shorter than Willis...

Ryan Wright: Got told that his jumper looks "about the same" and he also looks the same on the glass, which is not great news. Let's hope that he can get comfortable out there quickly next year and not play so tentative. The same guy told me that between Ryan and Orlando right now, "Big O is def winning. Hands down." Let's hope Ryan can pick it up and make this a good race for pt.

Yep.

pick up games. Its not organized or anything. Probably poor wording. My bad.

Edit: I have requested a name change so it doesn't throw anyone else off....
Ahh, okay, I was just wondering if you were talking about some individual workouts they were getting together on their own or something. I think a lot can be learned from pick-up games because it really shows who the guys think are the best players or who is having the best summer. A lot can be learned from how they divide the teams (if they can get all the guys there at once) and who guards who. I wish I had time to go up there.

Last edited:

So, instead of posting about the stuff he posted this is what you chose to do?

Lame.

That would make him about 6'5'' if he were slightly shorter than Willis...

Yep.

The thing that still scares me about Big O, abd, is that I don't see how he and Tiny will be able to play together on defense. Who guards the other team's 4 (Ex OSU's Obi Monuelo)? Big O may be the better player, but I am afraid that he and Tiny may both be centers on defense. I guess we could zone.

The thing that still scares me about Big O, abd, is that I don't see how he and Tiny will be able to play together on defense. Who guards the other team's 4 (Ex OSU's Obi Monuelo)? Big O may be the better player, but I am afraid that he and Tiny may both be centers on defense. I guess we could zone.

Well, Ryan Wright cant defend Obi Muonelo or a 4 guard lineup any better than Orlando... You either match them with TMG, Ray, Willie, Crocker with Gallon in the middle or you stay big and go to a zone.

Well, Ryan Wright cant defend Obi Muonelo or a 4 guard lineup any better than Orlando... You either match them with TMG, Ray, Willie, Crocker with Gallon in the middle or you stay big and go to a zone.

Well, you make a good point regarding Ryan. Darn you, Juan Pattillo!!!

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Tiny Gallon: I dug and got some more info on his inside game. He has a really soft touch with both hands and has shown a mean drop step move during pick up. Lots of dunking going on right now in pick up by Tiny. Two people both emphasized how good he is looking running up and down the court during pick up. He has fun out there while he plays and is not a selfish basketball player. He has more length than the Griffins and hopefully can use that to his advantage on defense.

:tiny

What a wonderful report. I have been working and haven't had time to post much. My friend that works for the basketball program told me that the TMG injury was just for precaution. Everything you reported is some of the same things I've heard. His excitement about the team is based on how hard the youngsters are working and playing. He also says that some of them are making some very mature plays in these workouts. The news about Ryan is disappointing. Orlando's report doesn't surprise me at all. This kid is hungry and wants to contribute to this team in a big way. I'm hoping that I get to go to some of the summer workouts like last year. If so. I will give a report. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:clap

Why hasn't OU offered Scott? He is rated overall at 55 by rivals and offered by baylor, tech, marquette, tcu and some smaller schoosl.

I would not go small to match OSU. If they have a small advantage on the perimeter because their 4 is smaller and quicker, they lose that advantage when rebounding and when defending. I would make them pay for not having a front court for 3 or 4 years in a row rather then let them off the hook by playing a similar lineup.

Why hasn't OU offered Scott? He is rated overall at 55 by rivals and offered by baylor, tech, marquette, tcu and some smaller schoosl.

Yeah, I don't get it either...I know we have a lot of irons in the fire but being able to add another talented combo guard would go a long way to erasing any concerns about point guard play going forward. To get TMG, TJ and Scott all signed up in back to back classes would be pretty nice.

That said, I didn't second-guess Capel on the Roberson deal and I won't do it on this if we miss out on Scott either.

In Capel I trust...

Enjoyed the report, BT. Thanks! By the way, I knew what you meant when you called it a "practice" report. ;)

Your update on RW only increases my gut feelings that Andrew Fitzgerald could start at the other post position by conference time. His work ethic and that high motor you mentioned will go a long way to earn him more playing time. If he adds more muscle to his 240 pounds during the summer, he could be a beast on the boards. I think rebounding may be more important from the other post than scoring, and judging by the reports we've seen on Fitz the past few months, he excels in that area.

Good news about Orlando! Call me crazy, but I can Big O and Tiny on the court together in certain situations. Tiny may have the size of a five, but he has nimble feet and the skills of a four. I personally believe that will be his best position when he drops a few more pounds and gets in really good shape. If Big Baby can play there, so can Tiny.

Back