Summer Q&A with Jeff Capel >>> SoonerSports.com

That team still went 6-4 in the final 10 games, was ranked, and went to the NCAA Tournament. They lost to Nebraska twice that year, so it must have been a bad matchup or something. It was a 19 win Husker team that went to the NIT and advanced to the 3rd round of the Big 12 Tournament.

They lost the last two games of the season by 6 and 8 points, thats not giving up. They went 11-5 in the Big 12, lol. Finished 3rd in the conference. Were in the top 25 all year.

This is just ridiculous.
Sampson's final team had behind the scene issues later on in the season. That can't be denied and it isn't me making an excuse for Capel but just stating a fact and crediting Sampson for as much success as he did have in his final year.

Anyway I think you are twisting some of Capel's quotes to further enhance your argument vs him. These following two are the ones that stick out to me (the rest I see your reasoning and I agree with you to some extent).

"As a coach, I've never been in a situation like this."
-Jeff

"How good will we be? I don't know."
-Jeff

Given the situation OU basketball is in he is just being truthful. How many coaches have had to rebuild a team from the ground up with 9 new players? That is a brand new situation so what do you expect him to say about the situation?

Also on the good thing, that is him again being truthful. He has nine new players on the roster and given summer rules limiting coach's contact with current players he has no idea how they play together right now. Would you rather Capel make bold predictions or flat out lie about how good this team would be?

One thing I like about Capel is he appears to be a straight shooter, who is to the point with the media. Maybe given the new roster he shouldn't be using that tactic but that is what I see in his quotes.

I'm just excited that Jeff was alble to lead the team to a Gold Medal, not as "easy" as it sounds in this day and age. KUDOS to Jeff!

More garbage from the bigabd. The trash truck will be around soon. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:facepalm

Back