Team Speed

outest

Reaction score
I know you all loved Kruger, but his recruiting has gone downhill the last few years before he retired. I don't know why we are recruiting guys like Bijan and Cortez. You looked at teams around the league, all of the guards are fast and quick. It is just like in football, we are recruiting running backs that run a 5.2 speed vs teams that recruited 4.5/4.6 running backs. We have the slowest guards, forwards, center vs all teams in Big 12. Unless we start to emphasize on team speed, we won't be able to compete.

I get what you're saying. Kruger's high school recruitment between 2018 and 2021 was abysmal. I think Bijan can be a player at this level but not Noland. He brings nothing to the table.

But then PM brings in a good class this year and only one of them really sees the court. So there's probably little to no development going on.

Last edited:
I know you all loved Kruger, but his recruiting has gone downhill the last few years before he retired. I don't know why we are recruiting guys like Bijan and Cortez. You looked at teams around the league, all of the guards are fast and quick. It is just like in football, we are recruiting running backs that run a 5.2 speed vs teams that recruited 4.5/4.6 running backs. We have the slowest guards, forwards, center vs all teams in Big 12. Unless we start to emphasize on team speed, we won't be able to compete.

Don’t think we’ve ever had a running back with 5.2 speed. Cortez can beat most defenders in this league off the dribble. His biggest problem is he’s not looking for HIS shot. And as a true point, he shouldn’t be.

How many time our guards get beat off the dribble for a lay up? The only reason TTech was able to keep the game close was because Damion Harmon was able to get past our guards for lay up after lay up. Luckily he is not a good shooter else we would lose that game.

By the way 5.2 speed is just an exaggeration to make a point.

It’s still way more poor coaching than it is lack of talent or athleticism.

Way more!

I wish people would stop beating up on Cortes. He’s exactly the kind of kid every big 12 coach wants on his roster: home state kid, works hard, loves the program, does his classwork. He just shouldn’t be in the starting lineup. Not Bijan’s fault.

And he’s quicker than you think.

Bijan is a good role player and every team needs someone like him. But he shouldn’t have to start - that’s an indictment on the rest of the roster talent and an indictment on the coaches for not having better talent.

I wonder sometimes how much better a player like Cortez would be under Lon. Certainly if he could develop Cousins into a point then what could he have done with Bijan?

Don’t think we’ve ever had a running back with 5.2 speed. Cortez can beat most defenders in this league off the dribble. His biggest problem is he’s not looking for HIS shot. And as a trrecall him ue point, he shouldn’t be.

I think he does pretty good on offense getting by people but seems to have more problems on the defensive end being beaten by quick guards. I think he does look for his shot but I don't recall seeing him having a good fall away jumper. A good fall away jumper would greatly improve his midrange game.

Oweh doesn't seem to have a fall away jumper or a floater in his tool kit vastly limiting his offensive game. Oweh also keeps reverting to his line drive free throw shot with very poor results because of such a low trajectory shot

I think he does pretty good on offense getting by people but seems to have more problems on the defensive end being beaten by quick guards. I think he does look for his shot but I don't recall seeing him having a good fall away jumper. A good fall away jumper would greatly improve his midrange game.

Oweh doesn't seem to have a fall away jumper or a floater in his tool kit vastly limiting his offensive game. Oweh also keeps reverting to his line drive free throw shot with very poor results because of such a low trajectory shot

Agree. I think both Cortes and Oweh could learn this from Grant who’s fall away is beautiful.

There is nothing good about a fall away jumper. It's the most fundamentally unsound shot in basketball. Unless your Kobe or Dirk, you shouldn't be shooting fadeaways. Learn to shoot a floater instead.

There is nothing good about a fall away jumper. It's the most fundamentally unsound shot in basketball. Unless your Kobe or Dirk, you shouldn't be shooting fadeaways. Learn to shoot a floater instead.

It is a difficult shot to block. When u pick up your dribble and no other options are there, it is a tremendous weapon. I do agree only great shooters should have green light.

I'm starting to believe this is the highest level of talent OU can bring in right now. Not sure if another coach would make much difference Capel had it going for a minute or two

Capel had Blake and Lon had buddy. Without them both coaches would not made deep tourney runs. The more you analyze it the more you realize how great a coach Sampson was at OU. His final four team had 0 NBA players, that does not happen.

During this discussion I don’t think we’re talking about post fadeaways (Kobe/Dirk). It’s about getting to the mid-range off the drive, holding your defender on your hip, then a little fadeaway from 10-14ft to have an uncontested look.

There is nothing good about a fall away jumper. It's the most fundamentally unsound shot in basketball. Unless your Kobe or Dirk, you shouldn't be shooting . Learn to shoot a floater instead.

Floaters (as I mentioned earlier along with mentioning a fall away jumper or a mid-range little fadeaway as BCSOONERS mentioned are all good options that Grant employs well already and Oweh needs to develop in order to be a more productive player on the offensive end of the court

Back