Team

BCSooners

OklahomaHoops 2024 Bracket Champion
Reaction score
This team is amazingly defensively. UTSA shot terribly & some Big12 teams will get some points, but OU contests everything and have good individual defenders. Offensively will be okay, T. Groves is built for this offense & plenty of solid scorers/movers.

Goldwire - Amazingly defensively. Solid distributor, average scorer. Taller than expected. Can he hit from peremiter consistently?
Gibson - Great shooter, good quickness & foot speed. Will struggle with bigger wings, but maybe him and Goldwire switch. Can he contribute when not shooting well?
Harkless - Same as last year, with slightly better shot. Great defender, strength, & toughness. Decent handles and distributor, how he shoots 3 will be key. Can he be a consistent scorer?
Hill - Most improved from returning players. Best defender, solid shot & handles for size, good movement off-ball. Can he be a consistent threat on offense?
T. Groves - Good shooter, passer, better athlete than expected. Built for Moser offense. Can he guard & rebound in big 12?
Chargois - Okay shooter, good passer & rebounder. Looks lost on defense, will determine minutes under Moser. Can he get better defensively?
J. Groves - Looked much better defensively than past 2 games, still not very good though. Very instinctive offensively and a great shooter. Can he rebound and guard?
Noland - Man-Child. Will get even better when losing unnecessary weight. Looks to be a future star with power, shot, & toughness. Looks like a more instinctive Harkless in time. Will he hit a freshman wall?
Mason - Really impressed with his feel for the game. Has a certain swagger about him. Needs to get stronger and more disciplined, but has gobs of potential, has a Jared Butler feel to him (game, not production). Can he run an offense?
Cortes - best passer on team, best in high school Oklahoma I've ever seen. Good handles, and much better defensively than in high school. Still needs to get a better body and needs to get open more effortlessly. Probably redshirt.
Issanza - Much improved, still probably a year away from contributing.
Maiwen - Great athlete, better reactions than expected. Doesn't look aggressive or any feel for the game though.
Johnson - I think he'll get kicked off before season ends, him coming back to Oklahoma was a big mistake. Great athleticism and can make highlight plays. Ball watches too much, really weak & wreckless. Could be a big contributor if he buys in.

If the 1st two games are the indicator, our defense will carry us to being competitive. We just need to make enough shots to win our fair share. Very excited by what I am seeing with this team.

Johnson - I think he'll get kicked off before season ends, him coming back to Oklahoma was a big mistake. Great athleticism and can make highlight plays. Ball watches too much, really weak & wreckless. Could be a big contributor if he buys in.

not sure how you get this from last night??

do you have other info??

not sure how you get this from last night??

do you have other info??

I was wondering the same thing. Do we really know for sure he has been in trouble twice, or is that just message board conjecture? Not trying to be rude, just really wondering do we know that.

I was wondering the same thing. Do we really know for sure he has been in trouble twice, or is that just message board conjecture? Not trying to be rude, just really wondering do we know that.

Moser said the other day that he needs to take better care of his commitments on and off the court in order to work his way into the mix for meaningful playing time, so I think that strongly suggests that the DUI hasn’t been his only issue.

So hypothetically if he can stay out of trouble, will he get in the rotation?

So hypothetically if he can stay out of trouble, will he get in the rotation?

I’d think so but fully gaining the staff’s trust might be unlikely.

Also, picking up on something in the OP, Cortes won’t be able to redshirt because he has already played. Only way he wouldn’t lose a year of eligibility is if he suffers a season ending injury like Kur in his first season at OU.

Also, picking up on something in the OP, Cortes won’t be able to redshirt because he has already played. Only way he wouldn’t lose a year of eligibility is if he suffers a season ending injury like Kur in his first season at OU.

I love Moser's interviews/press conferences, and i've pretty much watched all of them I can. And it seems he's gone out of his way to not mention him. He only has one year. I don't know, I guess he might as well stay if Moser can't add anyone else for this year at this point(he can't). It's kind of disappointing because his style is exactly what OU could use right now. OU is kind of small/short at wing and could really use an athletic 6-6 slasher/athlete that can score. And that's pretty much what Johnson is..

he wasn't in trouble last week ...

that was a personal matter ..

so in trouble once ..

Lol sure. Dude is playing behind all 3 freshmen, he’s in the doghouse & 1 strike away from being kicked off.

You’re right, they are working on a new rule close to football. Where a player can play 6 games & still redshirt. For some reason I thought it was already in play.

It's still way too early to say a lot about this team. I like some of the things I've seen but the competition going up fairly soon will really tell us where the team is at and if they can compete. I think the defense is probably good enough to keep a lot of games close though.

Moser said the other day that he needs to take better care of his commitments on and off the court in order to work his way into the mix for meaningful playing time, so I think that strongly suggests that the DUI hasn’t been his only issue.

Gotcha. Thanks for the info.....

On the other hand (just thinking out loud here), for him to get some minutes even at the end of a blowout suggests he might be working his way back into Coach Moser's good graces. Perhaps he's positioned in the backyard, halfway between the doghouse and the back door to the house.

On the other hand (just thinking out loud here), for him to get some minutes even at the end of a blowout suggests he might be working his way back into Coach Moser's good graces. Perhaps he's positioned in the backyard, halfway between the doghouse and the back door to the house.

hopefully he won't get stuck in the doggy door when we start b12 play...:woot

on a more positive note ..

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/OU_MBBall/status/1459709432607252480?s=20[/TWEET]

Even if he could redshirt, I'm pretty sure I saw a quote from Moser last week that nobody redshirts this year. I believe his words were "it's all hands on deck".

Back