Terrence Ross says OU is on his list

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Henzo reported last week that OU was going to be in the mix for Portland, Oregon guard Terrence Ross, and a couple days ago he talked briefly about his list in a video on an Oregon Newspaper website.

The first school he mentioned when asked about his top five, if you pay attention to that stuff and think it means something, was Oklahoma. He also listed Kansas, Kentucky, Oregon and Washington. He starts talking recruiting at about the 2:15 mark of the video.

http://videos.oregonlive.com/oregonlive/2010/02/terrence_ross_talks_about_his_2.html

Well it is certainly great to be in on him. He seems to be very talented.

Damn, seeing how quick Oklahoma came off his tongue makes you feel more confident about OU's chances with him than Jones.

The hypothetical if we get him next year and Jones along with Clark as well, along with keeping our Freshman and adding a center, I think we're really good. Now that's a hypothetical, but we'd be good.

The hypothetical if we get him next year and Jones along with Clark as well, along with keeping our Freshman and adding a center, I think we're really good. Now that's a hypothetical, but we'd be good.

I don't think that'll make us really good. MAYBE if Willie were to come back, play hard, and find a way to work alongside TMG is would. Otherwise, we're going to be too young again. I also don't see our defense improving much in that scenario.

And outside of N'Diaye, are we really recruiting a center type that will come in and really improve our defense from day 1? I'm not sure. I'm also on record as saying I don't think we get Jones if Tiny is here, and I don't think we get Ross if Willie is here.

Jones and Ross make use better 2-3 years from now, but they won't help much next year. We need older, experienced, tougher players in the system. Now if Ross and Jones are simply replacing Willie and Tiny, that might work. Otherwise, I fear we're just adding more of the same types of players that got us into this mess.

Damn, seeing how quick Oklahoma came off his tongue makes you feel more confident about OU's chances with him than Jones.

I think the reason we're in the race for Ross is because of his friendship with Jones and his strong interest in Oklahoma.

I'm also on record as saying I don't think we get Jones if Tiny is here, and I don't think we get Ross if Willie is here.

FWIW, there was an interview posted here last week where Jones was asked what he liked about Oklahoma, and he mentioned Capel and the fact that he knew Tiny as if it were a plus for OU. I will try to go back and find the link and exact quote. I do agree though that we don't get Ross if Willie comes back.

Edit: Here's that quote from Jones on Gallon.

HSH: So tell me what you like about each of the schools on your list.
TJ: Well, with Kentucky they’re a powerhouse right now. They win and they put guys in the NBA. Oregon is my home state, and I have a great relationship with the players. At UCLA, Coach Ben Howland is trying to put big things together down there for next year. It’s a great city and they’ve got good players. Washington’s coach, Lorenzo Romar, is an excellent coach on and off the court. I’ve got a great relationship with Abdul Gaddy (UW) too. With Oklahoma, I’ve gotten to know Coach Jeff Capel really well. I got a feel for how it’s a family environment down there. Then I know Tiny Gallon (UO) really well too, so that’s a plus.

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2010/02/terrence-jones-will-decide-this-spring/

I don't think that'll make us really good. MAYBE if Willie were to come back, play hard, and find a way to work alongside TMG is would. Otherwise, we're going to be too young again. I also don't see our defense improving much in that scenario.

And outside of N'Diaye, are we really recruiting a center type that will come in and really improve our defense from day 1? I'm not sure. I'm also on record as saying I don't think we get Jones if Tiny is here, and I don't think we get Ross if Willie is here.

Jones and Ross make use better 2-3 years from now, but they won't help much next year. We need older, experienced, tougher players in the system. Now if Ross and Jones are simply replacing Willie and Tiny, that might work. Otherwise, I fear we're just adding more of the same types of players that got us into this mess.

There's no such thing as getting older in college basketball. It's not the NBA where you can sign veterans. If you're talking about the Juco ranks, in some cases you get a guy who less experienced than a high school player because Juco players split minutes down the roster and get alot less floor time than Jones and Ross would. If you look at Aziz, he's more mature physically, but Jones and Ross have played twice the basketball he has.

We need depth. We have a two man rotation at the post. That's not exceptable. So if by luck, OU does get those guys, you add two guys that play, instead of a guy like Hardrick and Allen who won't leave the bench. So hypothetically we could potentially have 2 guys at the guard position that will se playing time along with TMG, Pledger, and Davis. Now we need atleast two guys that can play alongside of Fitz and Gallon.

We need depth.

No, we need quality depth. Most good Oklahoma teams only went 7-8 players deep during close games. Our problem is, the guys that would normally be in the 8-10 range, are in the 6-7 range. Simply adding players to add bodies isn't going to make the team better next year. And that is exactly what adding frosh will do. Say what you want, but a JUCO kid is going to adjust quicker, and probably be tougher, then most HS kids we are in on at this point.

No, we need quality depth. Most good Oklahoma teams only went 7-8 players deep during close games. Our problem is, the guys that would normally be in the 8-10 range, are in the 6-7 range. Simply adding players to add bodies isn't going to make the team better next year. And that is exactly what adding frosh will do. Say what you want, but a JUCO kid is going to adjust quicker, and probably be tougher, then most HS kids we are in on at this point.

Over the last few years, we've seen transfers, Jucos, and HS players. The one consistent thing about all of them is they have all not adjusted well. That's just fact. In some cases, none have adjusted at all. Regardless what ranks you come from you need talent and you need to be coachable. You definetely need a quick learning curve.

Agree about Ross not coming if Willie is still around. But I disagree that signing Ross and Jones wound not make us really good. Their style of play, athleticism and skills would be a perfect match for what TMG can do. WW is not. The experiment to play a true point guard with a guy who wants to be one did not work too well. And to be honest, I don't believe it would have much of a chance of succeeding next year.

Jones at 6' 9" would give us the talented big we need to go with Tiny. If for some reason Tiny does not return, we'd have to fill that hole with Aziz or a JUCO big who can play immediately. But I don't see any reason why OU would not be really good if Capel can sign Jones, Ross and a quality big to play with or replace Tiny.

Agree about Ross not coming if Willie is still around. But I disagree that signing Ross and Jones wound not make us really good. Their style of play, athleticism and skills would be a perfect match for what TMG can do. WW is not. The experiment to play a true point guard with a guy who wants to be one did not work too well. And to be honest, I don't believe it would have much of a chance of succeeding next year.

Jones at 6' 9" would give us the talented big we need to go with Tiny. If for some reason Tiny does not return, we'd have to fill that hole with Aziz or a JUCO big who can play immediately. But I don't see any reason why OU would not be really good if Capel can sign Jones, Ross and a quality big to play with or replace Tiny.

You don't think either of those players will experience what Tiny has all year, and TMG did for half the year? Do you think either will improve our defense?

You don't think either of those players will experience what Tiny has all year, and TMG did for half the year? Do you think either will improve our defense?

Everybody is going to experience it. You'd be hard pressed to find alot of transfers, juco guys, or HS guys come in and not have problems adjusting. If you look at Tiny, he's adjusted at the same rate as patillo who came in and wowwed everybody with his athleticism and then coaches got a scouting report on him,

I am not too excited about our chances or Ross in general, would like to have him but not sure how much he will really help. Guess he would be the best shooter we could bring in but guards/wings for next season isn't our most pressing issue.
Already have this for next season
TMG
Cade
Pledger
Cameron Clark
T.J. Taylor
Ray Willis
If Ross helps out with getting Jones all the better but overall he just doesn't excite me because he doesn't strike me as an instant contributor like say a Doron Lamb.

Freshmen almost always have an adjustment to make to the college game. But Jones and Ross will not be held back by fatigue like Tiny has been this season. Both would fit nicely with the up tempo game TMG likes to play much better than anyone on our current roster, except maybe Cade and Tony. Don't forget about Cam Clark and T. J. Taylor, who also fit that description.

While defense may be a question mark for such a young team, I don't see how adding two players with the athleticism and footwork of Jones and Ross would not improve our defense. Could it get any worse? ;)

by fatigue like Tiny has been this season.

I think most on here fail to realize that Tiny has never played on the block before and he has no experience running from block to block and banging with the other big boys. Along with the lack of experience he obviously doesn't have the conditioning either.

But with that lack of experience he has shown flashes of promise and if he works on his conditioning and post up game, there is a very good chance he will be a very good to great player.

He was ranked so highly by recruiting services IMO because it is rare when a big guy has the hands and touch on the outside he has....but OU doesn't need him to float outside, they need him inside.

I think most on here fail to realize that Tiny has never played on the block before and he has no experience running from block to block and banging with the other big boys. Along with the lack of experience he obviously doesn't have the conditioning either.

But with that lack of experience he has shown flashes of promise and if he works on his conditioning and post up game, there is a very good chance he will be a very good to great player.

He was ranked so highly by recruiting services IMO because it is rare when a big guy has the hands and touch on the outside he has....but OU doesn't need him to float outside, they need him inside.

Totally agree, 152219. My comment about Tiny's stamina was not meant as a knock on the adjustments he was forced to make coming out of high school. I said all season that he could be a beast inside if he gets in shape to play hard for 25-30 minutes instead of pacing himself to play 15 to 20. I believe he will also be less inclined to reach and get in early foul trouble. I was pleased with his progress in most areas. But I don't think fatigue will be an issue for Jones and Ross as it was for Tiny this season. That was the point I was trying to make.

Back