Terry Stotts...

dubyac

Reaction score
... currently an assistant with the Dallas Mavs... former head coach in the league at 2 different stops, atlanta and the bucks... former sooner player obviously.... just curious???

81394700.jpg

Terry Stotts, a 14-year NBA coaching veteran, begins his first season with the Mavericks after serving as the head coach of the Milwaukee Bucks from 2005-07. Stotts guided the Bucks to their last postseason appearance (2005-06) after earning a 40-42 (.488) regular season record.

Stotts began his NBA coaching career under George Karl, spending five seasons with the Seattle SuperSonics and four with the Bucks. During that stretch, his teams finished each season above .500 and qualified for the playoffs in eight of nine seasons.

While in Seattle, the Sonics posted a 357-135 (.726) record, captured four Pacific Division titles, reached the Western Conference Finals twice and appeared in the 1996 NBA Finals. In four seasons as lead assistant in Milwaukee, Stotts helped the Bucks amass a 163-133 (.551) mark, highlighted by a Central Division Championship and a berth in the 2001 Eastern Conference Finals.

Stotts spent the 2004-05 season as the lead assistant with the Golden State Warriors under head coach Mike Montgomery. Prior to the 2004-05 campaign, Stotts spent two seasons in Atlanta. His first head coaching experience came with the Hawks when he replaced Lon Krueger on Dec. 26, 2002.

Stotts, a second round selection of the Houston Rockets in the 1980 NBA Draft, began his professional playing career in Italy before joining the CBA’s Montana Golden Nuggets. He returned to Europe for several seasons, playing in Spain and France, before joining Karl’s coaching staff with the CBA’s Albany Patroons in 1990-91. During his first year on a professional coaching staff, he helped lead the Patroons to an all-time CBA-best 50-6 record. Stotts coached the CBA’s Fort Wayne Fury for one season before joining the Sonics.

A four-year starter at the University of Oklahoma, Stotts earned All-Big Eight honors as a senior and was named Academic All-America in each of his final two collegiate seasons. He was named the OU’s outstanding senior student-athlete and was one of three individuals chosen nationally to receive an NCAA Post-Graduate Scholarship. He earned a BS in Zoology and, in 1988, earned an MBA from his alma mater.

Stotts was born in Cedar Falls, Iowa, and raised in Illinois, Wisconsin, Guam and Indiana. Stotts and his wife, Jan, have been married 25 years and live in Dallas. terry.stotts@dallasmavs.com

http://www.nba.com/coachfile/terry_stotts/index.html

Last edited:
... currently an assistant with the Dallas Mavs... former head coach in the league at 2 different stops, atlanta and the bucks... former sooner player obviously.... just curious???

I put him in my thread about Joe Holladay. I think it's entitled "I still think this guy should be given a chance".

I added Stotts as another choice.

No need to apologize, just stating I added his bio in the other thread.

i may steal it for this one... just fyi... i like that he spent so much time with george karl... i think that guy can really coach....

Ooooh. This is the best name I have heard yet. Good idea. I like it.

Terry Stotts would be at the top of my list. Not sure about the timing with the NBA/College season, but still a good idea.

i may steal it for this one... just fyi... i like that he spent so much time with george karl... i think that guy can really coach....

The ONLY question I have with Stotts is can he recruit and would he want to recruit?

I am sure the X's and O's he would be very good as he was an academic all big 8 back when he played in Norman.

I am sure the X's and O's he would be very good as he was an academic all big 8 back when he played in Norman.

What?

edit: For the record, Felton Jeffrey Capel III was Academic All-ACC at Duke.

Last edited:

Not to pile on, but I am pretty sure that Capel was academic all-ACC and that didn't translate to Xs and Os.

Edit: Dammit Tones, you edited whilst I was posting.

Not to pile on, but I am pretty sure that Capel was academic all-ACC and that didn't translate to Xs and Os.

see my edit. face!

edit: now i see your edit. in my face!

i think capel was pretty good with the x's and o's not so much with the jimmy's and joe's...

i think capel was pretty good with the x's and o's not so much with the jimmy's and joe's...

I see what you did there. :ez-laugh:

I liked some of Capel's coaching. I thought he had some really good designed plays after timeouts on inbounds plays under the basket. I thought he did a good job of subbing for his stars when he would pull them with 20 seconds before the next media timeout or a few seconds before halftime to get them more rest without missing a lot of the game.

I did not like his substituion overall though because this year it seemed Washington should have been on the floor more than he was at times when he was effective, and the same for Honore who looked really good in Stillwater in the first half but barely played in the 2nd half. It also seemed like he only used 6-7 players and by the end of the season those players were spent.

I did not like his coaching in regards to defense though.

i was quite a bit in the Stotts camp back in 2006 after Sampson. then it wasnt the right time as he was still the coach of the Bucks.

but who knows about him? would he have any channels in recruiting?

i was quite a bit in the Stotts camp back in 2006 after Sampson. then it wasnt the right time as he was still the coach of the Bucks.

but who knows about him? would he have any channels in recruiting?

That's one thing I wondered about also, and I used to know the guy (Stotts) while at OU. But you'd think his NBA background would open a few doors.

Not to pile on, but I am pretty sure that Capel was academic all-ACC and that didn't translate to Xs and Yr
You are so right about Capel not knowing X's and O's but please explain how he won 175 games in 9 years as a D-1 headcoach......luck?

Stotts sounds good, but he must find a recruiting headhunter.

I think Jeff Webster would be a good recruiter. That would be a start.

Webster would help with Julius Randle, but does he have his degree? I heard a rumor that he makes A LOT of MONEY coaching aau ball. More than most assistants.

Back