Texas has a long ball problem

Seymore Cox

Reaction score
Something that I said last year, but was rebutted by one of the board "experts". JCovan Brown may be the saving grace for a very poor shooting team. UT went 5-13 from three which isn't neccesarily bad, but Brown went 2 for 2 and James, a guy that we've already established as a non shooter was 2 for 3. The rest of their squad went 1 for 8 with Jordan Hamilton going 1-5. The more Texas plays Ward, Balbay, and Mason, the easier it will be to defend them. Brown and Lucas will have to be on the court for them at all times to prevent teams from sinking in on them. This will be their achilles heal. OU is better, I repeat better, offensively and on the perimeter than Texas. Texas still is an amazing defensive team and are far better than us in that regard.

chicks_dig_the_long_ball_tshirt-p235264897412855721trlf_400.jpg

I have that problem myself, and its only getting worse with age...

Something that I said last year, but was rebutted by one of the board "experts". JCovan Brown may be the saving grace for a very poor shooting team. UT went 5-13 from three which isn't neccesarily bad, but Brown went 2 for 2 and James, a guy that we've already established as a non shooter was 2 for 3. The rest of their squad went 1 for 8 with Jordan Hamilton going 1-5. The more Texas plays Ward, Balbay, and Mason, the easier it will be to defend them. Brown and Lucas will have to be on the court for them at all times to prevent teams from sinking in on them. This will be their achilles heal. OU is better, I repeat better, offensively and on the perimeter than Texas. Texas still is an amazing defensive team and are far better than us in that regard.

Hamilton is a pretty good shooter he just had an off night. With Brown, Hamilton and Jai, Texas will be just fine. If teams sink in they will get punished for it. Bradley isn't the best shooter, but he isn't terrible from long range either. James has worked on his shot and it shows. Texas isn't the greatest shooting team, but they are just fine.

Hamilton is a pretty good shooter he just had an off night. With Brown, Hamilton and Jai, Texas will be just fine. If teams sink in they will get punished for it. Bradley isn't the best shooter, but he isn't terrible from long range either. James has worked on his shot and it shows. Texas isn't the greatest shooting team, but they are just fine.

Hamilton has to prove it on this level. Same with Shawn Williams who was a good shooter in high school. It has to transition. The more UT plays Ward, Balbay, and Mason, the more problems they have. Ant that's a problem in itself, because those guys are good on the defensive end and have been in the system. If you play two or more of Ward, Balbay, Mason, and Bradley on the court at the same time, it's going to make UT easy to defend.

Hamilton has to prove it on this level. Same with Shawn Williams who was a good shooter in high school. It has to transition. The more UT plays Ward, Balbay, and Mason, the more problems they have. Ant that's a problem in itself, because those guys are good on the defensive end and have been in the system. If you play two or more of Ward, Balbay, Mason, and Bradley on the court at the same time, it's going to make UT easy to defend.

Shooting ain't that hard to prove, just keep working on your shot. Especially when you can already shoot. Hamilton and Williams will be just fine. That ain't really a hard part of your game to "transition" from high school to college(free throw shooting is another thing). The "proving it on this level" comment is a little over the top when it comes to shooting, and just message board talk. And please don't name a few players that couldn't do it, because I'll name many more that could. It's shooting. And players that can shoot usually don't lose it in college. Just saying. Not Augustine, not Abrams, not Boddicker, not Durant, not Gibson. Barnes keeps his players on top of their game.

No team is perfect, but Texas has enough shooters. The long ball isn't a great strength, but it's not a problem as a team. Now I agree with you that if Mason and Ward are in the game together it will make it easier on teams. I hate when those two are in the game together. I don't think both will start the entire season. By the end of the season it will be Pittman, James, Hamilton, Bradley and Brown starting.

Shooting ain't that hard to prove, just keep working on your shot. Especially when you can already shoot. Hamilton and Williams will be just fine. That ain't really a hard part of your game to "transition" from high school to college(free throw shooting is another thing). The "proving it on this level" comment is a little over the top when it comes to shooting, and just message board talk. And please don't name a few players that couldn't do it, because I'll name many more that could. It's shooting. And players that can shoot usually don't lose it in college. Just saying. Not Augustine, not Abrams, not Boddicker, not Durant, not Gibson. Barnes keeps his players on top of their game.

No team is perfect, but Texas has enough shooters. The long ball isn't a great strength, but it's not a problem as a team. Now I agree with you that if Mason and Ward are in the game together it will make it easier on teams. I hate when those two are in the game together. I don't think both will start the entire season. By the end of the season it will be Pittman, James, Hamilton, Bradley and Brown starting.

SO you're on record now for saying Texas is a good shooting team?

SO you're on record now for saying Texas is a good shooting team?

This is EXACTLY what I said and what I meant.

"Texas isn't the greatest shooting team, but they are just fine."

"The long ball isn't a great strength, but it's not a problem as a team."

Put it on record that I said Texas will win the Big 12 with this team of "just fine" shooters.

This is EXACTLY what I said and what I meant.

"Texas isn't the greatest shooting team, but they are just fine."

"The long ball isn't a great strength, but it's not a problem as a team."

Put it on record that I said Texas will win the Big 12 with this team of "just fine" shooters.

You know KU plays MU twice, Colorado twice, Nebraska twice, and KSU twice. That's eight wins right there in the conference. Then at worst the split with ISU, they probably beat OU, may lose to OSU at stw, probably lose to UT, beats TT at home, beats BU at home, beats A&M on road. At worst, KU has two losses. For UT to win the conference they would probably need to have just 1 loss. I don't see that happening with players that you have to break in.

As far as them shooting, that was a pitfall for them last year. All teams had to do was honor Abrams and fall back on everyone else. I personally don't think collectively that Brown, Lucas, and Hamilton can replace the production of Abrams. The one thing they can do is make the defense honor UT a little more by having more guys knock down long range shots and the defense honor more than just one player. Two of those three players need to be on the court at the same time. As far James goes, he has shown he can knock down that shot, but not on a consistent basis. And if you look at that UT vs. KU game last year, James came out on fire from long range which gave UT a good lead. In the second half, he fell in love with that same shot and cost them that game. He's not a catch and shoot threat. In College, the catch and shoot three is pivotal to being a good three point team. Lucas and James are shoot of the dribble guys. We'll see though. UT is extremely talented and toughminded defensively. I'm not taking that away from them, but I do believe shooting is a weakness for them.

Back