The Big 12 next year

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
is going to be a tough, tough league. I really think that there is a chance that we get 7 in if some of the borderline teams play a difficult enough Nonconf schedule. Lots of talent (some of it young) in our league next year!

Kansas
Collins
Henry
Taylor
Morris (the good one)
King Cole

Texas
Balbay
Bradley
James?
Johnson/Hamilton
Pudgy Pittman

OU
TMG
WW
Crock
Juan/Wright/Allen
Tiny

KState
Clemente
Pullen
McGruder/Sutton
Judge
Kelly?

OSU
Keiton
Anderson
Obi
Moses
Walker?

A&M (assuming the three return)
Sloan
Harris
Roland
Davis
Elonu

I think the above 6 are in (assuming Texas Aggie has Davis and Elonu return).

Baylor (Dennis helps a lot), Mizzou, and Nebraska are all candidates for the 7th team in. I am giving the edge to Mizzou just because of experience and returning guard play, but I think that Baylor has the best roster, and Nebraska has the best coach.

I think that Tech and Colorado will both be improved, but will also both be the victims of a tough league.

I think that ISU will blow chunks.

Nebraska is going to have an entire different look next year. Eventually, it will be better but they are going to have 4 new starters.

PG: Lance Jeter (6'3'' 225)
SG: Sek Henry (6'3'' 200)
SF: Toney Mccray (6'6'' 195)
PF: Quincy Hankins (6'8'' 240)
C: Brian Diaz (6'11'' 235)

I think they got more talented, and certainly wont be the smallest team in the country anymore. But their season really depends on Jeter, Hankins, and the two international post guys (Diaz and Niemann).

The top of the conference is going to be ridiculously talented. I wouldn't expect Balbay to get much PT with Jai Lucas becoming eligible in December. It is a good time to be a Big XII and especially OU hoops fan.

The top of the conference is going to be ridiculously talented. I wouldn't expect Balbay to get much PT with Jai Lucas becoming eligible in December. It is a good time to be a Big XII and especially OU hoops fan.

I don't know about that. I think Balbay may surprise some folks next year. Unlike Doug, the guy has a good looking jumper.....he just needs the confidence. I wonder how many jumpshots per day that Rick is having him do this summer?

I don't know about that. I think Balbay may surprise some folks next year. Unlike Doug, the guy has a good looking jumper.....he just needs the confidence. I wonder how many jumpshots per day that Rick is having him do this summer?

The other thing about Balbay that seperates him is athletic ability. Rick Barnes said he was the best athlete on the team last year.

Weren't most people thinking about 4 this time last year and DenverSooner proved to be right since we got 6 in?

Yeah, but it really did look like only 4 then. I really think that either Nebraska, Mizzou, or Baylor could easily be a tournament team, which would give the Big 12 7.

If A&M loses a couple to the draft, then we might only get 6.

i was one that said 6 also ... this year i think we get 7 .. and have an outside shot at 8

With Brackins back, the Big 12 just got even tougher.

i was one that said 6 also ... this year i think we get 7 .. and have an outside shot at 8

I think the Big XII is definitely looking at 6-8 teams. I think the conference is going to have 4 or 5 top 25 teams and a couple of teams in others getting votes. I could actually see the Big XII with 6 teams mentioned in the AP (maybe four ranked and two getting votes). I really think OU, KU, Texas and either A&M or OSU will be ranked at the end of the season (possibly both A&M and OSU). I think at least one North team will be getting votes and probably one south team (unless A&M and OSU are both ranked). If I am correct, that basically means the Big XII has 6 teams in the top 30 range (all get in). I think one other team, such as Baylor, KSU, Nebraska or ISU will get in to the tournament or at least be on the bubble.

It is hard to imagine 8 teams but the Big 8 got 6 teams one year so 8 from the Big XII is actually a lower percentage. I think way too many of you are too pessimistic about this conference. What will really make a big difference for this conference is if ISU, Misouri or KSU becomes a consistently strong program (Nebraska could also do that but historically it seems much more likely that ISU, KSU or Mizzou would do it).

At the time that you and Denver said it (January), it didn't make any sense. Props for being right, but it looked like we would only get 4-5 in at the time, and if it weren't for Texas imploding and losing so many games then we may have only gotten 5 in.

How many make the dance depends more with the start the league gets along with schedule strength. So often the conference schedule gets tough but some of the teams didn't get the start they needed, such as KSU and osu this last season.

How many make the dance depends more with the start the league gets along with schedule strength. So often the conference schedule gets tough but some of the teams didn't get the start they needed, such as KSU and osu this last season.
The Big 12 should definetly be the toughest conference.

The Big 12 should definetly be the toughest conference.

It really has a chance to be, but I bet it won't get the preseason credit that it probably deserves. Hopefully by next march the national media will take notice!

It really has a chance to be, but I bet it won't get the preseason credit that it probably deserves. Hopefully by next march the national media will take notice!

Lets hope it gets the in-season credit it will deserve. Media can be stupid sometimes.

Back