The DOK's "What If..." series this week

NMSooner'80

Reaction score
It was sort of interesting to ponder OU football had DKR "come home" instead of staying at Texas. But, I'm sure there were some OU basketball possibilities if they'd chosen one.

I guess the big one would have been, "What if Wayman Tisdale had stayed for his senior year?" And, as much as I hate to even think about that heinous "Mistake of '88" game, I guess the big what-if there would have been, "What if Duke had beaten Kansas..."

Anyone else have a decent "what if" scenario that wasn't entirely impossible?

It was sort of interesting to ponder OU football had DKR "come home" instead of staying at Texas. But, I'm sure there were some OU basketball possibilities if they'd chosen one.

I guess the big one would have been, "What if Wayman Tisdale had stayed for his senior year?" And, as much as I hate to even think about that heinous "Mistake of '88" game, I guess the big what-if there would have been, "What if Duke had beaten Kansas..."

Anyone else have a decent "what if" scenario that wasn't entirely impossible?

The one I’ll never stop wondering is what if Quannas hadn’t gotten hurt the day before the Final Four. A healthy OU team beats that Indiana squad probably 7 of 10 times. Maryland and KU were both great teams but we’d beaten Maryland and split with KU. It’s so hard to make the FF, and sucks so much when you aren’t full strength when game time rolls around.

What if Kelvin hadn't gotten in trouble for a few text messages, and had stuck around at OU. That great class would have made it to Norman, and who knows. Program definitely wouldn't have sputtered like it did under Capel.

OU shouldnt have been on the same side as UNC. That shouldve been the NC game.

2009 for sure.. That OU team was a final 4 team easy. Just bad luck running into the only team that matched up well with us.

What if Hollis hadn't been injured in the Big XII Championship game his senior year? He played in the NCAA tournament but he wasn't even close to full strength.

What if Quannas White hadn't sprained his ankle before the Final Four?

What if Ebi Ere hadn't been in a horrendous slump his entire senior year?

When you stop and think about all of these things it's easy to understand why people say the team that wins it all usually has a lot of good breaks and not many bad ones.

Last edited:
It's a shame the 2009 team leaked a little oil at the end of the regular season. The loss to O-State in the Big 12 Tourney dropped them off the 1-line. UNC gets all the pub, and rightly so (they were one of the last great senior-laden teams), but Louisville, Pittsburgh and Connecticut were all really good that season, too.

Would've loved for Blake to get us to a Final Four.

It's a hoops board, I know, but I used to stare at the ceiling and wonder about Switzer's fate had Aikman's leg not crumpled against Miami.

Back