The Gap in Discussion on the board/Direction of the Program

Sam

Reaction score
I don't post on here as much as I used to and I probably lurk more than I should. And I've noticed this board has dissolved into two camps, with one portraying Coach Kruger with a midas like touch, and another group full of doubts.

While I do think there is some trolling in the "Doubters" (it wouldn't be the internet without people poking and prodding others), I find it funny that every contrarian to the "Midasers" is labeled a troll. The aura I get from the Midasers is that Coach Kruger is above reproach.

I'll preface this by saying I don't consider myself an OU fan anymore. I didn't attend a single OU game this year despite living only a few miles from the LNC, and probably only watched half of the games this season. I do enough "media like things" that I'd rather/need to be a neutral.

With that said, here are some thoughts on the argument that seems to divide the board, the direction of the program.

Recruiting wise, one thing that stands out to me in two full recruiting classes, Oklahoma has only signed one high school product out of Texas (Jelon Hornbeak). For my money, Texas has the most high school talent of any region in the nation. They have what, 5 McDonald All Americans this year? And there will probably be a similar number next year as well. Texas is loaded with talent, and given the proximity of Oklahoma, it seems like something the Sooners would do well to start taking advantage of it.

Looking at TexasHoops' 2013 rankings, there's a handful of kids OU recruited but they didn't end up with a single one. They lost out on Shepherd to TCU, Jordan Mickey to LSU, and then Jeffrey Carroll and Leyton Hammonds to Oklahoma St. I believe they showed some interest in other prospects like Dustin Thomas (Colorado) and Marcus Foster (Kansas St).

If striking out on Texas kids, and having to build from the JuCo ranks becomes a trend, that could be something to worry about.

I'm not a big JuCo guy, the days where Kelvin Sampson can lean on 4 JuCos in the rotation to make the Final Four seem long gone. I think you can get some role players, even the occasional difference makers but continually relaying on the JuCo ranks as a high major program is problematic.

Maybe Coach Kruger will make this talking point mute sooner rather than later and lock down some Texas kids. But for now I think its a trend Oklahoma fans should watch.

Coach Kruger likely knows more about the game of basketball than the whole board combined. So his vision in building a program is much clearer than any armchair analysis from this board. But as I've mentioned before, it's silly to act like he's above reproach. Last time I checked he's still human. So he'll make a mistake or two (second halves this season showed that). I just don't get the rush by either side to label any one with a differing opinion a "heretic".

The answer about the future probably lies somewhere in the middle of the beliefs. If I had to bet, Coach Kruger is going to make Oklahoma a consistent NCAA tournament team. But if you think it's a lock that next season is another tournament appearance, that seems almost as foolish as writing off Kruger. For example, with M'Baye's departure post depth suddenly becomes a red flag. I thought Bennett would be nice in 15 minute night "energy" role. As he should block and alter shots, while doing a solid job on the glass on both ends. But it looks like he's going to have log in the neighborhood of 30 minutes a night and I'm not sure about that.

I hate to sound like ESPN, especially since the show that uses this line is horrible, but embrace debate. Too often people get wrapped up in being "right" over everything else. Both sides have some worthy arguments, and overall I don't get why people have to be labeled trolls for having a different opinion.

I don't post on here as much as I used to and I probably lurk more than I should. And I've noticed this board has dissolved into two camps, with one portraying Coach Kruger with a midas like touch, and another group full of doubts.

While I do think there is some trolling in the "Doubters" (it wouldn't be the internet without people poking and prodding others), I find it funny that every contrarian to the "Midasers" is labeled a troll. The aura I get from the Midasers is that Coach Kruger is above reproach.

I'll preface this by saying I don't consider myself an OU fan anymore. I didn't attend a single OU game this year despite living only a few miles from the LNC, and probably only watched half of the games this season. I do enough "media like things" that I'd rather/need to be a neutral.

With that said, here are some thoughts on the argument that seems to divide the board, the direction of the program.

Recruiting wise, one thing that stands out to me in two full recruiting classes, Oklahoma has only signed one high school product out of Texas (Jelon Hornbeak). For my money, Texas has the most high school talent of any region in the nation. They have what, 5 McDonald All Americans this year? And there will probably be a similar number next year as well. Texas is loaded with talent, and given the proximity of Oklahoma, it seems like something the Sooners would do well to start taking advantage of it.

Looking at TexasHoops' 2013 rankings, there's a handful of kids OU recruited but they didn't end up with a single one. They lost out on Shepherd to TCU, Jordan Mickey to LSU, and then Jeffrey Carroll and Leyton Hammonds to Oklahoma St. I believe they showed some interest in other prospects like Dustin Thomas (Colorado) and Marcus Foster (Kansas St).

If striking out on Texas kids, and having to build from the JuCo ranks becomes a trend, that could be something to worry about.

I'm not a big JuCo guy, the days where Kelvin Sampson can lean on 4 JuCos in the rotation to make the Final Four seem long gone. I think you can get some role players, even the occasional difference makers but continually relaying on the JuCo ranks as a high major program is problematic.

Maybe Coach Kruger will make this talking point mute sooner rather than later and lock down some Texas kids. But for now I think its a trend Oklahoma fans should watch.

Coach Kruger likely knows more about the game of basketball than the whole board combined. So his vision in building a program is much clearer than any armchair analysis from this board. But as I've mentioned before, it's silly to act like he's above reproach. Last time I checked he's still human. So he'll make a mistake or two (second halves this season showed that). I just don't get the rush by either side to label any one with a differing opinion a "heretic".

The answer about the future probably lies somewhere in the middle of the beliefs. If I had to bet, Coach Kruger is going to make Oklahoma a consistent NCAA tournament team. But if you think it's a lock that next season is another tournament appearance, that seems almost as foolish as writing off Kruger. For example, with M'Baye's departure post depth suddenly becomes a red flag. I thought Bennett would be nice in 15 minute night "energy" role. As he should block and alter shots, while doing a solid job on the glass on both ends. But it looks like he's going to have log in the neighborhood of 30 minutes a night and I'm not sure about that.

I hate to sound like ESPN, especially since the show that uses this line is horrible, but embrace debate. Too often people get wrapped up in being "right" over everything else. Both sides have some worthy arguments, and overall I don't get why people have to be labeled trolls for having a different opinion.

I think I speak for all the "Midasers" when I say: "TROLL"! Just kidding, I appreciate your analysis and think that Mbaye's departure raises a depth issue in a big way. I think the thing to keep in mind for everyone on this board is that Kruger's track record is not bringing in "Big Time Recruits" but building programs. I am not saying that he will never bring in those types of recruits, but do we want someone to just be a big time recruiter? And I think that is the biggest discrepancy between both camps. At least IMO.

I agree that this board has been like a terrible version of basketball crossfire at times, where each side antagonizes the other, waiting to see who freaks out first. However, I think there are still a few of us that fall right in that gap, it's just that we might not be as vocal.

This season was like a roller coaster of emotions and it left me believing in OU basketball again, only to face plant into the brick wall called reality. Parts of Kruger have me excited (seeing how he can develop players over the course of a season), and parts have me discouraged (second half offensive & defensive collapses, the 3rd-year recruiting class).

Overall I think we're better off today than we were 3 years ago, and I'm not sure many can debate that. It's just, that's not something that people can scream from the rooftops. WE'RE NOT LIKE GREAT, BUT WE'RE KIND OF GOOD! HURRAY FOR BEING ABOVE AVERAGE!!

It's just not really worth posting about...

Reason...good to hear.

Also will add I really like Carroll's game, won't be a huge minutes guy the first two seasons, but by the time he is rounding out his sophomore year and into his third season, he will be a REAL good player. All of the physical tools and size, just needs some time. Hopefully (not really) he can have some patience, possibly redshirt then turn into something exceptional.

No one wants to read a board full of people saying the same thing. It's when it's no longer civil debate is when people get frustrated. I would say that no one here thinks Lon Kruger is incapable of mistakes, but also that there are some on here who think he is capable of nothing but mistakes, or at least the constant tone of their comments would lead one to believe that. Then other people feel the need to express their displeasure at this constant tone after reading the same message in its newest form time and time again. I don't think it's as simple as people who hate criticism of any kind and people who criticize. That said, I'm sorry to have contributed in any part to anyone not enjoying themselves here. It will not happen again. Thank you sincerely for your insights and for starting this place for us to share them.

I don't really see many, if any, thinking Kruger above reproach at all. I see a lot of people, after the second year of trying to resuscitate a once proud, successful program, seeing some light at the end of the tunnel. We're not anywhere near the end of the tunnel but people can see some light. Even early in the season this year, a lot of people were concerned or questioning some players starting or not playing enough or playing too much. I think very few, including myself, thought we could finish 4th in the Big 12 this season and that was after a couple of unexplained hiccups (texas, TCU) at the end of the season. I don't know if there were many coaches in this country that could have made as much progress as Kruger has in 2 years. As far away as we are from the top, it just shows how far we had fallen. From appearances, it seems some of the doubters were dismayed when Capel was fired and these people may have been doubters regardless of who we had chosen to replace him, for whatever reason.

As far as recruiting, OU has had some truly amazing players go thru this program but overall I think recruiting to play basketball at OU is not as easy as we'd like to think it is, or not as easy as I would like to think it would be. I think it's been that way for a long time before Kruger arrived in Norman. And Tubbs and Sampson and Capel didn't come into this program at the low it was when Kruger arrived. How or why osu or Hypocrite U or even the whorns can recruit the players they have in the past and present easier that we can is baffling to me. As a program, we are second to none to these schools. Our facilities are not below par to any of these schools. I don't know that Kruger wants to rely on JC players but that in order to rebuild this program as effectively and efficiently and as quickly as possible, he feels this is the best way to this at this time. Maybe I'm wrong on this, I don't know.

I agree that Kruger will probably make OU a consistent NCAA tourney team and that's where we need to start. I also will be surprised if Kruger is still coaching this program in 5 years. I don't believe he will be coaching at 70 or 75. Of course, he's going to make mistakes. All are not going to agree for sure and I don't think he's being treated any differently than Bob Stoops, Sherri Coale, Sonny Golloway or any other past or present OU coach. At this point in our program's history I don't think many would be a better fit for us than Kruger. And I have no doubt when Kruger retires, he will leave this program in a much, much better state than when he took over. But that's just my opinion!

You shut your mouth!!!!!! J/K. Good post Sam. I know you spend a lot of time working on your high school and recruiting stuff, but we still welcome you here as often as you can/desire to contribute.

I happen to believe someone who truly loves the sport, can be a rabid fan of a team, yet still report/analyze with objectivity. I often hear Traber spouting about how he isn't a poke fan, or Sooner fan, or Thunder fan, and I always chuckle. The guy graduated from osu, why shouldn't he be a fan???? I happen to believe if one is professional, he/she can report on their beloved school and still do a good job.

With that said, I also understand and appreciate how one could lose credibility by attaching to a program like Robert Allen. I always appreciate your posts, and I hope you continue to share your information with us. I believe you are building a very nice reputation/resume' as a hoops guy in this area, and for that I applaud you.......

I don't see anyone saying Kruger is beyond reproach. I believe the difference lies in who is reading the past correctly. Our previous coach basically set fire to this program and set it back 4-5 years. Some can't seem to accept this as fact. Kruger builds/rebuilds basketball programs. This is a fact backed up by 4 other examples and decades of very good basketball. Patience is required. He isn't perfect by any means but he has a plan and we are now well-coached. Some aren't willing to acknowledge what has happened before and what many believe can certainly happen again. I've not called anyone a troll but I do ignore the posts of those who cannot discern fact from fiction. Whether they troll or are providing an opposing point of view really doesn't concern me anymore. I have my opinions but I'm tired of being stuck in the recent sordid history of this program and I am damn ready to move forward. Wish everyone else was. I love debate but I will continue to ignore anyone who stills holds some obscure hold to our previous coach and won't let it go.

"This season was like a roller coaster of emotions and it left me believing in OU basketball again, only to face plant into the brick wall called reality. Parts of Kruger have me excited (seeing how he can develop players over the course of a season), and parts have me discouraged (second half offensive & defensive collapses, the 3rd-year recruiting class)".

There could be some bad decisions on the coaching staff in second half of games, but when you only have two or three people on your roster that can actually shoot the ball and they are off, what can the coach do? He can recruit better player who can shoot for next year and the after. Please give this coach at least three years and lets see where we are.

In my mind, it's not that Kruger is infallible, but rather, has a set recruiting pattern that he and his same staff have used at UNLV and beyond (taking lots of transfers etc), and have won with everywhere they have been with that method.

I think he has earned the benefit of the doubt in that regard. Doesn't mean he doesn't make mistakes, but the chicken littles on this board need to relax a bit and let the man work.

Sam, your Texas point is valid.

In my mind, it's not that Kruger is infallible, but rather, has a set recruiting pattern that he and his same staff have used at UNLV and beyond (taking lots of transfers etc), and have won with everywhere they have been with that method.

I think he has earned the benefit of the doubt in that regard. Doesn't mean he doesn't make mistakes, but the chicken littles on this board need to relax a bit and let the man work.

Exactly. LK has a LONG history of being relatively successful at coaching college basketball. IMO, it's much easier to accept things he or the staff might do that I don't follow, for that very reason. LK isn't going to sacrifice the long-term success of our program, for short-term success. He isn't going to panic now that M'Baye is gone, and go bring in a talented cancer, for example. He has a plan, and as much as he can, he is going to stick to it.

From things I've heard, in the Dallas area, you pretty much have to buy players...... Now That's just conjecture, but I don't think Kruger gets down like that.

However, he has to figure out how to get atleast one marquee player a class. Our marquee player this year is Jordan Woodard, a kid I love, but he's struggled with injury all year. You have to find a way to get a good big/pf or a potential difference making scorer and for the most part, they're not in JUCO. Juco is scramble mode and it appears that's what OU is in now. An approach where you get one juco filler, a very good transfer, and a couple of high school kids with potential is a very good approach.

I wonder if passing up on Shaquille Morris and Marcus Foster are things that maybe OU shouldn't have did.

I think I am typically a glass half full person.

I doubt that Kruger will take us to the final four before he retires and I don't expect him to coach 10 years before that retirement. Maybe 5-7 years. He is a young man for his age.

I don't think he has ever been the master recruiter but seems to have an eye for talent. I like the players he has brought in so far. Also I wonder if the lack of Texas recruits stem from the heavy emphasis Kruger has placed in Oklahoma. Hopefully he will begin to develop influence in North Texas as well. Adding TCU to the big 12 will hurt to some degree.

Kruger seemed to leave a good base of talent when he left Florida, Illinois and UNLV. But recruiting is probably tougher today with the AAU stuff and an inept NCAA that seems only to be able to count phone calls. The positive side is that there seem to be a lot of below the radar players out there. The effectiveness of Woodard and Booker next year will say a lot about the quality of this recruiting class. I'm not quite ready to write it off.

It was a disappointing season ending after the 22 point lead against Texas. We were on a roll and looked to be able to have a shot at at least a Sweet Sixteen finish. The discouraging thing was the second half meltdowns late in the season for the second year in a row. The most encouraging thing was the strong defense at times and an offense that chopped up the Texas and Iowa State defenses at times and held their own against Kansas. Chewing up Baylor's defense doesn't count. Hopefully those instances were a preview of what we can expect on a consistent basis.

I usually don't engage trolls. They are either people who believe they know everything and have their own agenda or people who are just putting something out there for effect. Either way you are not going to change their viewpoint. I do fail and feed them occasionally. Some people just have extreme views, negatively or positive and you will never impact their opinion.

I was never impressed with Capels X's and O's and had concerns about who was running the team. I felt for awhile that he was a good recruiter but while he brought in some good talent he also recruited a lot of busts and very few of his recruits added any thing to the program. I also did not give him a great amount of credit for recruiting Blake Griffin.

I like Kruger and I think we will have a solid program as long as he is at OU, but our better years may depend on the hiring decision that is made when he retires.

From things I've heard, in the Dallas area, you pretty much have to buy players...... Now That's just conjecture, but I don't think Kruger gets down like that.

I know that this is discussed on the women's side from time to time so i'm sure it's even worse on the men's side. Isn't a lot of your recruiting tied into the AAU/club programs? Don't you have to basically hold your nose and do business with them? I know that's something that Sherri doesn't do. You talk about Texas kids but didn't mention those twins going to Kentucky. When it comes to kids like that do we not even pick up the phone? Are we going to be relegated to getting just the next tier of kids?

And let's be honest. In the 40 years I've been watching we've really gotten three great ones - Alvin Adams, Wayman, and Blake. We've gotten some good ones but none like that and certainly not several at the same time. That's one way I always knew that Billy and Sampson weren't cheating. Wayman and Blake were homegrown boys and not sure how we got Adams. I still talk to KU people today that are pissed about that. I know once you get a guy that it should be easy to get others but what do we have to do to get one? Has the game changed so much that a kid can go anywhere and make a name for himself?

And let's be honest. In the 40 years I've been watching we've really gotten three great ones - Alvin Adams, Wayman, and Blake.

Are you talking about recruiting rankings, or what the players actually did on the court?

Because recruiting-wise, we've landed a few other great ones. WW. Tiny. TMG. Can't remember how highly ranked Reynolds and James were.

I know that this is discussed on the women's side from time to time so i'm sure it's even worse on the men's side. Isn't a lot of your recruiting tied into the AAU/club programs? Don't you have to basically hold your nose and do business with them? I know that's something that Sherri doesn't do. You talk about Texas kids but didn't mention those twins going to Kentucky. When it comes to kids like that do we not even pick up the phone? Are we going to be relegated to getting just the next tier of kids?

And let's be honest. In the 40 years I've been watching we've really gotten three great ones - Alvin Adams, Wayman, and Blake. We've gotten some good ones but none like that and certainly not several at the same time. That's one way I always knew that Billy and Sampson weren't cheating. Wayman and Blake were homegrown boys and not sure how we got Adams. I still talk to KU people today that are pissed about that. I know once you get a guy that it should be easy to get others but what do we have to do to get one? Has the game changed so much that a kid can go anywhere and make a name for himself?

Wasn't Adam's homegrown, too? Putnam City, I believe.

You talk about Texas kids but didn't mention those twins going to Kentucky. When it comes to kids like that do we not even pick up the phone?

No! For what? They're not going to come to OU unless somebody is going to get a cush job or straight cash, homey(randy moss reference). When you hear about OU being in on kids like these, Julius Randle or Harrison Barnes, that's just coach's hype. Let's be realistic, OU has small fan support and is traditionally a 3rd and 4th place finisher in the 4th best conference in the country. What the coaches prior to Capel have been doing has been pretty impressive and it's going to be hard to recapture that.

You've got to play the regional card and you have to play the "outwork you" card on the recruiting trail. You must get the best Oklahoma kid every year, a top ten Texas kid every year, and then use your connections, cut some two for 1 deals, and run off kids who aren't going to cut it as quick as possible.

That's just the first part. The next part is getting them to execute. I think Kruger has done that well, but at guard, OU was limited because they didn't have any dynamic players in that position. We had 3 solid freshman that are decent at many things but great at nothing. I would love to have a guy that can just clear everyone out and get to the basket or get to the line when the game is in the balance....

Last edited:
Are you talking about recruiting rankings, or what the players actually did on the court?

Because recruiting-wise, we've landed a few other great ones. WW. Tiny. TMG. Can't remember how highly ranked Reynolds and James were.

I don't think anyone is going to confuse them with the three I mentioned.

Wasn't Adam's homegrown, too? Putnam City, I believe.

I thought he was from Lawrence. Upon further review he did go to HS in OKC. Blame it on me being 12.

Back