The Gap in Discussion on the board/Direction of the Program

I cannot remember. He only played in 14 games as a freshman in 1985-86.

Yes he was only eligible the first semester of his freshman year so once the 2nd semester started he was ineligible. I think he was eligible all of his soph year but was a backup that year. From the midpoint of big 8 play his jr year to the end of his sr year, I would bet his average was closer to 25 points. It took about half the season of his jr year before he really started scoring in bunches. In fact, he didn't start at the beginning of his jr year. Seems like it was Wiley, the creator, who started ahead of him and then Wiley sustained an injury and King stepped in. Many thought we wouldn't be as good with King in the lineup, but then he started getting it together and the team took off. That was a fun season.

Yes he was only eligible the first semester of his freshman year so once the 2nd semester started he was ineligible. I think he was eligible all of his soph year but was a backup that year. From the midpoint of big 8 play his jr year to the end of his sr year, I would bet his average was closer to 25 points. It took about half the season of his jr year before he really started scoring in bunches. In fact, he didn't start at the beginning of his jr year. Seems like it was Wiley, the creator, who started ahead of him and then Wiley sustained an injury and King stepped in. Many thought we wouldn't be as good with King in the lineup, but then he started getting it together and the team took off. That was a fun season.

God You're old :D. But I all seriousness thanks for the Insight from some the better sooner teams I was unable to watch/remember due to age.

God You're old :D. But I all seriousness thanks for the Insight from some the better sooner teams I was unable to watch/remember due to age.

Hence the username... :ez-roll:

I was a jr in high school that season. Like I said, those were great times to be a sooner basketball fan. From 84-90 was the pinnacle of OU basketball, IMO, and I am thankful I had the chance to experience all of it. That was one of the many blessings in my life and its a huge reason why I love the OU basketball program like a family member.

Also a reason I took so personally when it appeared Joe C cared very little about it when gambling on the hiring of an unproven coach. Had it worked, I would have considered him a genius but at the time I wanted a proven coach who would build on what Tubbs and Sampson (and Bliss to an extent) had created. Oh well, we are back on the right track now so that's all that counts.

Hence the username... :ez-roll:

I was a jr in high school that season. Like I said, those were great times to be a sooner basketball fan. From 84-90 was the pinnacle of OU basketball, IMO, and I am thankful I had the chance to experience all of it. That was one of the many blessings in my life and its a huge reason why I love the OU basketball program like a family member.

Also a reason I took so personally when it appeared Joe C cared very little about it when gambling on the hiring of an unproven coach. Had it worked, I would have considered him a genius but at the time I wanted a proven coach who would build on what Tubbs and Sampson (and Bliss to an extent) had created. Oh well, we are back on the right track now so that's all that counts.

I was born in 84 so the only real OU basketball memory I have from that period is a three year old me cussing at my dad for the first time after Danny f'ing Manning broke his heart. He didn't know if he should be mad or proud

I was born in 84 so the only real OU basketball memory I have from that period is a three year old me cussing at my dad for the first time after Danny f'ing Manning broke his heart. He didn't know if he should be mad or proud

That is classic! :)

I was at the 1988 Final-4 with my dad. He was 70 at the time, and I was 32. "Danny f'ing Manning" and Hightower broke our hearts.

Last edited:
On Stacey King:

1. He was ineligible for the second semester during his true freshman year. He played behind David Johnson both of those first two years before his breakout season of 1987-88.

2. He did play for Lawton High. I saw him play in the Faith 7 that summer of '85, and he did have that tall afro that made him look about 7-2. He also showed his considerable potential in that game.

3. King was actually pretty raw coming out of high school. For those idiots who said Billy Tubbs and his staff didn't do much coaching and just "rolled the ball out there," they didn't see how much better he was between the Faith 7 and the college game.

4. Also, if I'm not mistaken, King wasn't even on the Daily Oklahoma's "Super 5" list in 1985. I think the guys who were on that list were: Melvin Gilliam (OSU football), Leonard Flowers (don't get me started), Lee Mayberry (Tulsa Edison?), and I believe both of the Manek brothers from Harrah, who played at OCC.

On Stacey King:

1. He was ineligible for the second semester during his true freshman year. He played behind David Johnson both of those first two years before his breakout season of 1987-88.

2. He did play for Lawton High. I saw him play in the Faith 7 that summer of '85, and he did have that tall afro that made him look about 7-2. He also showed his considerable potential in that game.

3. King was actually pretty raw coming out of high school. For those idiots who said Billy Tubbs and his staff didn't do much coaching and just "rolled the ball out there," they didn't see how much better he was between the Faith 7 and the college game.

4. Also, if I'm not mistaken, King wasn't even on the Daily Oklahoma's "Super 5" list in 1985. I think the guys who were on that list were: Melvin Gilliam (OSU football), Leonard Flowers (don't get me started), Lee Mayberry (Tulsa Edison?), and I believe both of the Manek brothers from Harrah, who played at OCC.

That is about right. King wasn't all that much coming out of high school. The former OU coach that was the primary recruiter on King told me that Billy had to be sold on taking him.

I then asked what contributed to King's huge step forward between his Soph. and Jr. years. He gave me a two word answer. Billy Tubbs. He gave Tubbs all of the credit for King's development. And then he went on to say that after King's Jr. year Tubbs told him that Stacy would be even better as a Senior. And darned if he wasn't.

Just FYI... Mayberry went to Tulsa Rogers, not Edison.

On Stacey King:

Very close. It was actually:

1985: Leonard Flowers, El Reno; Anthony Phillips, Smithville; Melvin Gilliam, Tulsa Washington; Craig Manek, Harrah; Kevin Pritchard, Tulsa Edison.

I have no clue whatever happened to Anthony Phillips, but Pritchard helped break our hearts in 1988.

I think Phillips went to a JC in Arkansas or maybe one of those not far from Smithville. If you've never been there, it's a tiny town north of Broken Bow that used to play really good basketball.

Shame on me for forgetting Pritchard, but maybe that was subconscious of my memory since I still hate the "Mistake of ' 88" more than any sporting even in my lifetime. :facepalm :facepalm

I used to know the Manek brothers, but I couldn't remember which one made that Super 5 list. Cary was probably a D-1 caliber talent, I thought.

I disagree at least in Waymans case, but maybe I'm wrong because I can remember hearing so much about Wayman when he was in high school. Signing him was as big as when Switzer signed Marcus Dupree. HUGE!

Only Ryan Humphrey can I remember as having as much fanfare when he signed because he looked like a man amongst boys, and in Oklahoma HS sports I guess he was. However, once he got to college we saw the glaring weaknesses in his game, whereas WT never had a weakness.

I can't speak to Adams or BG's recruitment because I either was too young (Adams) or not living in Oklahoma (BG) when they were being recruited.

Which speaks volumes to Tisdale's ability, because Humphrey had a very good outcome at Notre Dame. His last season there he was All-Big East, not to mention a 1st-round draft pick.

Back