The knee to Groves' head

jaymOU

Reaction score
Probably addressed in the game thread, but wow, how was this not No. 1 a foul and No. 2 not at least a flagrant 1.

The contact was excessive and, in my opinion, was not a basketball move.

OU likely doesn't win, even with the call, but I don't blame Groves for getting a T and the fact OU had to use a TO to even get the play reviewed is difficult to understand.

The last two games - KU and Baylor, blatant head shots have been missed by the officials.

Just another layer of frustration to add to maybe the most frustrating OU team to watch since Sampson's first year. I just want them to be rewarded for their effort, but they just can't seem to get out of their own way.

Probably addressed in the game thread, but wow, how was this not No. 1 a foul and No. 2 not at least a flagrant 1.

The contact was excessive and, in my opinion, was not a basketball move.

OU likely doesn't win, even with the call, but I don't blame Groves for getting a T and the fact OU had to use a TO to even get the play reviewed is difficult to understand.

The last two games - KU and Baylor, blatant head shots have been missed by the officials.

Just another layer of frustration to add to maybe the most frustrating OU team to watch since Sampson's first year. I just want them to be rewarded for their effort, but they just can't seem to get out of their own way.

i wish Moser had gone after the ref more ..

Think about it though. Groves bent down just as Mayer jumped. There is no way that Mayer could have known Groves was going to bend down at that millisecond. Obviously Groves wasn't hurt because he was able to jump up and argue the non-call vigorously. So let's say you are diving for a loose ball just as someone is running up the court and you dive into their knee. Should that be a flagrant foul too? If it should be then you could get that call any time by bending into someone's elbow as they turn with the ball or into their knee as they run.

It was incidental contact and the refs ruled that it was not excessive, probably because Groves was able to jump up and get in their faces. Maybe he gets the call if he rolls around on the court holding his face like a soccer player.

Think about it though. Groves bent down just as Mayer jumped. There is no way that Mayer could have known Groves was going to bend down at that millisecond. Obviously Groves wasn't hurt because he was able to jump up and argue the non-call vigorously. So let's say you are diving for a loose ball just as someone is running up the court and you dive into their knee. Should that be a flagrant foul too? If it should be then you could get that call any time by bending into someone's elbow as they turn with the ball or into their knee as they run.

It was incidental contact and the refs ruled that it was not excessive, probably because Groves was able to jump up and get in their faces. Maybe he gets the call if he rolls around on the court holding his face like a soccer player.

Dude we all know how pathetically weak flagrants are these days and how the ncaa wants to look like they are obsessive about caring for the safety of the players.. i have seen some taps on heads of players doing dunks/layups where the scorer seemingly didnt even notice the contact and it was a flagrant bc touched head.

Bottom line it was a blown no call. Glad Groves wasn't hurt tho is the big thing

Dude we all know how pathetically weak flagrants are these days and how the ncaa wants to look like they are obsessive about caring for the safety of the players.. i have seen some taps on heads of players doing dunks/layups where the scorer seemingly didnt even notice the contact and it was a flagrant bc touched head.

Bottom line it was a blown no call. Glad Groves wasn't hurt tho is the big thing

It's a total judgment call. The refs judged that the contact wasn't excessive. You can make the case either way. But the fact that he wasn't hurt by the contact and got in the faces of the refs immediately afterwards probably influenced them.

It's a total judgment call. The refs judged that the contact wasn't excessive. You can make the case either way. But the fact that he wasn't hurt by the contact and got in the faces of the refs immediately afterwards probably influenced them.

First, how was a foul not called?

I get it is a judgment call, but if you watch the video from the baseline and call that contact not excessive, then we have a disagreement about what the word means.

I wonder if Moser really saw what happened - if he had, I feel like he would have been more demonstrative

First, how was a foul not called?

I get it is a judgment call, but if you watch the video from the baseline and call that contact not excessive, then we have a disagreement about what the word means.

I wonder if Moser really saw what happened - if he had, I feel like he would have been more demonstrative

In my opinion, it was either a flagrant 1 or a non-call because it was clearly incidental contact. Once they decided that it was not excessive and not intentional then it was a no-call. That's just my opinion, I obviously can't read the refs' minds.

In my opinion, it was either a flagrant 1 or a non-call because it was clearly incidental contact. Once they decided that it was not excessive and not intentional then it was a no-call. That's just my opinion, I obviously can't read the refs' minds.

in 0 universe should it have ever been a no call .

I’m not as worked up as some about the call itself. But as for Moser, he was in a tough spot. We were already about to give up 4 free throws as a result of the foul on EJ and the tech on Tanner. He really couldn’t risk getting a T on top of all that if we wanted to have any chance to stay in the game. If we had been down bigger and the game was already out of reach, or if it happened earlier in the game, maybe he goes after them more. I also feel like if Tanner hadn’t gotten the T, Moser would have been more aggressive himself. He said after the game that his message to Tanner was, let me get after the refs because they give coaches a longer leash than players.

Did he gain an advantage on the play with the contact? No? Then it's not a foul if you rule that it's not excessive and not intentional.

It's almost like you enjoy the fact that the call wasn't made! IMO, you HAVE to call that in that situation!! If not, what's to stop some punk from really driving his knee into someone's head?! Do I think Mayer did it on purpose?? Probably not, although he (Mayer) was completely out of control.

At any rate, IF..the ref decides to not make that call...IMO, you DON'T give the guy who just got nailed a "T" simply for being upset about it. Unless Tanner called the ref's mom the "c word" (which I highly doubt), just let it go!! That was a CRUCIAL point in the game FFS!!! The game isn't about you...REFS!

It's almost like you enjoy the fact that the call wasn't made! IMO, you HAVE to call that in that situation!! If not, what's to stop some punk from really driving his knee into someone's head?! Do I think Mayer did it on purpose?? Probably not, although he (Mayer) was completely out of control.

At any rate, IF..the ref decides to not make that call...IMO, you DON'T give the guy who just got nailed a "T" simply for being upset about it. Unless Tanner called the ref's mom the "c word" (which I highly doubt), just let it go!! That was a CRUCIAL point in the game FFS!!! The game isn't about you...REFS!

You’re right, it’s enjoyable!!!! Woohooo!!!& [exclamation point] 1!!!!

Mayer jumped in the air. Guys jump in the air all the time. He had no way to know that Groves was going to bend over at that exact millisecond. It was obviously inadvertent.

I’m not as worked up as some about the call itself. But as for Moser, he was in a tough spot. We were already about to give up 4 free throws as a result of the foul on EJ and the tech on Tanner. He really couldn’t risk getting a T on top of all that if we wanted to have any chance to stay in the game. If we had been down bigger and the game was already out of reach, or if it happened earlier in the game, maybe he goes after them more. I also feel like if Tanner hadn’t gotten the T, Moser would have been more aggressive himself. He said after the game that his message to Tanner was, let me get after the refs because they give coaches a longer leash than players.

Agreed

You’re right, it’s enjoyable!!!! Woohooo!!!& [exclamation point] 1!!!!

Mayer jumped in the air. Guys jump in the air all the time. He had no way to know that Groves was going to bend over at that exact millisecond. It was obviously inadvertent.

Follow through with the knee was the excessive contact. Drew his knee up and into Groves's head ... maybe not intentional, but certainly excessive, which is the minimum bar for a flagrant.

Follow through with the knee was the excessive contact. Drew his knee up and into Groves's head ... maybe not intentional, but certainly excessive, which is the minimum bar for a flagrant.

The refs ruled it wasn’t excessive, probably because Groves jumped up and immediately started arguing. And since he isn’t in any concussion protocols and didn’t miss any game time, I have to agree.

The refs ruled it wasn’t excessive, probably because Groves jumped up and immediately started arguing. And since he isn’t in any concussion protocols and didn’t miss any game time, I have to agree.

Your logic is beyond bad with this post. Just because he wasn’t hurt doesn’t mean it wasn’t excessive. Could also argue it isn’t a basketball move.

Your logic is beyond bad with this post. Just because he wasn’t hurt doesn’t mean it wasn’t excessive. Could also argue it isn’t a basketball move.

If you take a knee to the head and you immediately are up and moving around normally then you weren’t hit very hard. Like I said, if he rolled around on the floor holding his head like a soccer player maybe he would have drawn the foul call.

If you take a knee to the head and you immediately are up and moving around normally then you weren’t hit very hard. Like I said, if he rolled around on the floor holding his head like a soccer player maybe he would have drawn the foul call.

this is not called for ..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back