Thoughts about this Year and Next

OUGenius

Reaction score
You know, for me the reason that this year has been, up until now, such a huge disappointment - probably like no other OU bball season in my adult life - is because it actually seemed for the first time that our talent level in what we had coming back was finally as high as I could ever hope for, despite the lack of experience.

Watching this team play, I've never been able to fathom the best lineup quite yet; nothing has seemed to work.

When Capel went with TMG, Cade, Crocker, Fitzgerald and Wright at the beginning of the game, it was very disappointing, just on the face of it...no Gallon; Warren injured and relatively ineffective. It continued to be so hard to stop thinking about "what we could have" on the floor. "What if" Gallon was playing like he could, and Warren was healthy. "Just think" how good we could be.

Then the game started and we got ahead. "They'll come back" I thought, and so I didn't get excited. But we know what happened in that first half. Basically those five guys played with talent, fire, and most of all, chemistry, and suddenly we were up 18 against a top ten team....

We hung on despite lack of depth, fatigue and foul trouble and we obviously need Warren and Gallon (and Pledger) to max out what we've got...but the "disappointing" starting lineup made me think: What college hoops is really about more than anything else, is hustle and heart. (Kelvin-esque words to say the least). We won yesterday in part because we quit relying on our "talent" first (though you can't teach what TMG showed) and relied on our hearts.

Hats off to Capel for getting us to this point, and to both Kelvin and Wayman and Billy Tubbs for what they have done with our wonderful program over the years. Yesterday's win was not only an ode to Wayman and our own storied basketball history, it was an ode to how we've kept winning consistently over the past 25+ years. If we coach and play like that, the dream of winning huge with an abundance of McDonald's All-Americans will actually come true.

We can do it! Maybe not this year...but we're still 4-4 in the 2nd toughest league in the land. Don't forget that UNC won a national title with the same core (as juniors) that as frosh won only 12 games. (And compare UNC with us this year - 2 and 5 in their league - with us and we're not so far off.)

Yesterday and my acceptance that yesterday's starting lineup really was "good enough" gives me renewed hope for the season, and for years to come.

Nice post. I certainly agree that yesterday's win was heartening. Just seeing some grit and passion from the team, especially on the defensive side, was thrilling -- it's really all most of us have been asking for this season.

I'm thrilled we hung on for the win, but late in the game, I realized that, if we'd lost, it would still have been a step forward for us, just because we played so hard and with so much heart and determination.

All those first-half threes hitting the mark certainly helped, of course, but it's all related.

I was very proud of the team yesterday. Let's hope they can maintain that level of competitiveness and passion.

I kept noticing yesterday that there were multiple times during the game when we had all 4 freshmen out there with Cade or Willie. When we lose, people say "do you realize this is the team we'll have next year", so I guess the same could be said after this big win over a team that was recently ranked #1.

Ryan Wright and Crocker both fouled out. They are the only 2 that we will lose for sure. We pretty much finished out that game with youngsters and Cade.

I kept noticing yesterday that there were multiple times during the game when we had all 4 freshmen out there with Cade or Willie. When we lose, people say "do you realize this is the team we'll have next year", so I guess the same could be said after this big win over a team that was recently ranked #1.

Ryan Wright and Crocker both fouled out. They are the only 2 that we will lose for sure. We pretty much finished out that game with youngsters and Cade.

I see what you are saying, but I think it is pretty safe to assume Willie is gone as well.

But yes, there was a point where the announcer said we had three frosh on the floor. I looked around, and we were actually playing 4 (TMG, Pledger, Tiny, Fitz) of them and Willie, a soph.

There is reason to believe that next season they can contend for the B12 and have a great postseason if they add a 30min guy that is a really good rebounder. Everything else may be there or signed and just needing experience. They have the effort and the defense is coming but the team that beat ut is a bad rebounding team.

If we get another decent big man, and that's very likely...and if we get another 2 guard to go with TJ and Clark...even if/when we lose WW, we should be much improved next year with a tourney run a good possibility. I think Gallon will be much better next year.

Awesome post. The team showed a lot of hear yesterday. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:clap

You know, for me the reason that this year has been, up until now, such a huge disappointment - probably like no other OU bball season in my adult life - is because it actually seemed for the first time that our talent level in what we had coming back was finally as high as I could ever hope for, despite the lack of experience.

We probably should have recognized that the lack of experience, especially in the paint, was going to be a problem. I think we all thought or hoped that Allen and Wright could play at a higher level from day one allowing Fitzgeral and Gallon time to adjust (while expecting an immediate contribution from Gallon). I really hope Allen can turn things around next season because he has had a tough year.

Ryan Wright is really playing better. He had a good game against Missouri and Texas. He had a couple of really nice shots against Texas and had a bad break on the missed dunk (that should have been down and is 99% of the time). 14 boards against Texas is huge. That is a big team with one of the conferences best ever rebounders.

Very nice post, OUGenius!

Like you, the team's performance against UT gave me hope that with a solid nucleus of returning players and the two recruits we signed last fall, OU could be pretty good next season. I'll be honest, though, before Saturday's game my usual glass is half full, optimistic approach had sprung a serious leak. lol

Needless to say, I'm very encouraged by what I saw on Saturday. This team had a sense of urgency we have only witnessed in spurts, or from an isolated player or two so far this season. Saturday's victory was a total team effort, which is exactly what most of us have wanted to see since the season began.

I agree that the April signing period will be key to the level of our success next year. Even if Willie stays (and everyone I know believes he is gone), we need to sign at least one (hopefully two) quality bigs, if we expect to compete with the top teams on our schedule. Anything beyond that would be a bonus.

Agreed AdaSooner...let's hope Capel, Cline and Oronde can pull off something great, because we're really pretty close!

Am i the only one that thinks we need a backup point guard? I realize that TJ can play some PG, but he is a more natural 2. TMG is a warrior, but even he needs to sit occasionally. I would love to have a quality backup PG to spell TMG or even play at the same time against pressing teams.

Am i the only one that thinks we need a backup point guard? I realize that TJ can play some PG, but he is a more natural 2. TMG is a warrior, but even he needs to sit occasionally. I would love to have a quality backup PG to spell TMG or even play at the same time against pressing teams.

I am not so sure that TJ is a natural 2. I actually think his game is more fit to be a point guard.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Coach Capel took a guy like Tony Smith (a combo guard) just to make sure that TMG has some help next year.

Fair enough. Just by what I was seeing in scouting reports he seemed more of a 2. All the better if he is more a point guard.

Tj been running the pg for his highschool everysince he was a freshman and on the AAu circuit dont let a few video clippings fool you.

Back