Thoughts on the off-season roster swap

There is a talent drop from the ACC to the Big 12, imo.

So the only way a player could have left OU and not "dropped a level" is to have transferred to another Big 12 team?

I mean, is that wrong?

If it's going to be used as a standard to assess/downgrade a player, I would say yes. Virginia, to use the example at hand, is #27 in Kenpom; OU is #25. To call that stepping down a level doesn't really fly.

So the only way a player could have left OU and not "dropped a level" is to have transferred to another Big 12 team?

Yes. The Big 12 is in a league of its own when it comes to night in night out difficulty. It is an absolute grind. Playing in the ACC is nothing like it. Yes, Virginia and OU are comparable but the Big 12 is way tougher.

Again this is just my opinion.

Last edited:
Yes. The Big 12 is in a league of its own when it comes to night in night out difficulty. It is an absolute grind. Playing in the ACC is nothing like it. Yes, Virginia and OU are comparable but the Big 12 is way tougher.

Again this is just my opinion.

Fair enough. But then stating that all our departing players stepped down a level as if reflects badly on their talent when the only way they could have avoided that designation was to transfer within the Big 12--that's a very high bar. Players don't transfer all that often in conference.

There is a talent drop from the ACC to the Big 12, imo.

J Groves left OU to play for a school which recently cut down the nets. Under no loose definition of "talent drop" does this qualify as a step down. Did Brady Manek take a step down as well a couple years back to play for another ACC school? C'mon, let's keep it real.

If portaling out of the SEC to another conference is generally considered downgrading competition in football, why can't transferring from the Big 12 to another conference in basketball be considered a a step down in competition?

I recall other posts on this board referencing an easier conference schedule come 2024.

J Groves to UVA is the most mind-boggling thing that has happened in the transfer portal during Moser's tenure. He has a role as a situational player on a good team, but he's getting 20 minutes a game and has started half of them. I did not see that coming.

He transferred up. Everybody else transferred down, and most transferred waaaaay down. You have to concede that to Groves, even if it is a bizarre fluke.

If portaling out of the SEC to another conference is generally considered downgrading competition in football, why can't transferring from the Big 12 to another conference in basketball be considered a a step down in competition?

I recall other posts on this board referencing an easier conference schedule come 2024.

There's a very real argument that UVA has been a top 5 program over the past decade, and there is no denying them top 10 status. If a football player transferred from Kentucky (SEC) to OU, Ohio State, or Clemson, I don't think anybody would be saying they transferred down to lesser competition, even if the conference isn't as good.

I think we're arguing semantics at this point, though, and should stop.

To me, stepping up or down is a matter of the competition you are playing against, not who you are playing for. So yes, Virginia is a step up, but who he is competing against night in and out isn't

J Groves to UVA is the most mind-boggling thing that has happened in the transfer portal during Moser's tenure. He has a role as a situational player on a good team, but he's getting 20 minutes a game and has started half of them. I did not see that coming.

He transferred up. Everybody else transferred down, and most transferred waaaaay down. You have to concede that to Groves, even if it is a bizarre fluke.

It's crazy. He has transferred up twice. Both with defensive minded coaches. LOL

It's not that mind-boggling. His best skillset is the one teams seek most. Shooting with size and he has a quick release. His shortcomings last year we're more due to the roster around him, he would have thrived next to the athletes on this year's squad. It also looks like his shot is more consistent now too. The potential was always there with Jacob.

And just think that "out" team beat the #2 team in the country last year. Hats off to Moser and his staff for their evaluation of these guys and getting them to play at this level so quickly together. A great coach learns from his mistakes and he went back to the drawing board and addressed the issues.

Would have liked to keep Hill, but his role would have shrunk and so he left. I was still interested in seeing if potential of Schoeder and Noland would have developed here.

Would have liked to keep Hill, but his role would have shrunk and so he left. I was still interested in seeing if potential of Schoeder and Noland would have developed here.

I was def out on noland. He couldnt shoot and was out of shape the whole time

Back