lexusooner

Reaction score
In: Moore Out: Hill
In: Hugley Out: J Groves
In: Klanjscek Out: Bamisile
In: McCollum Out: Cortez
In: Darthard Out: Noland
In: Soares Out: Schroder

First off the the “in” team would murder the “out” team.
As a whole I would not trade our “ins” to get our “outs” back and individually I believe we upgraded across the board.

There was a debate about these two earlier this year but after seeing him play I’d take Moore over Hill all day every day and twice on Sunday.

Thoughts?

You’re right … but you really need to compare the full roster …

Grant Sherfield and Tanner Groves Would obliterate cooper and cole, as an example.

You’re right … but you really need to compare the full roster …

Grant Sherfield and Tanner Groves Would obliterate cooper and cole, as an example.

Let's look at both rosters then...

Do you think last year's team beats this year's team? The answer is no.

Sherfield would struggle with out perimeter defense and Groves would foul out with Hugley IV. Now, Groves may have more room to work with, but we are just so much better defensively and have so much better scoring and spacing, it would be a 15-20 point win.

Crazy to think how much hysteria there was when Hill entered the portal. Like he was some irreplaceable player.

We really should be thankful that he left since we likely don’t get Moore if he stayed.

I don't think I would trade any of the new players for Hill but I think there would have been a place for him on this team.

Sherfield and Tanner Groves are the two players we lost who would contribute to this year’s squad. Hill is debatable given Oweh’s progress and Moore’s athleticism. But McCollum > Sherfield and Hugley > Groves.

First of all, I think "hysteria" is an overstatement. I think fans had every right to be disappointed to see a favorite player depart, especially after so many other players had left during Moser's tenure (and so many incoming transfers had disappointed).

Second, any lack of faith some may have held regarding Moser being able to replace the departing players was justified based on the two portal cycles--and the on-court results--we'd already seen.

Third, it might be argued that this team has overachieved compared to what was expected of them. I posted in another thread where each stood in several rankings of the transfers in that cycle. Even the best of the bunch--Hugley and McCollum--were not consistently ranked high, and the numbers on the others were far from encouraging. I'm thrilled they have overachieved (or, if one prefers, that the experts were wrong) but anyone who was confident this bunch would play this well was awfully quiet about it on this board.

As for a direct comparison between Hill and Moore, some may be surprised to see how similar their results are this season. Hill's stats are better, for the most part, but he's playing more minutes. Moore's game and personality are flashier, no doubt, and he's fun to watch. But is his value to his team greater than Hill's (or greater than Hill's would have been to OU had he stayed)? That's hard to say.

My reasons for wanting Hill on this team don't have anything to do with stats. He's a 'glue guy' and he had 4 years of experience playing in the Big XII. I think those attributes would come in handy during the Big XII season.

Crazy to think how much hysteria there was when Hill entered the portal. Like he was some irreplaceable player.

We really should be thankful that he left since we likely don’t get Moore if he stayed.

I wanted Hill to stay because he was a 4-year player and would have liked him to finish his collegiate career as a Sooner. However, I doubt anyone lost a ton of sleep over his departure. Hopefully, Moore can keep it going. He has been a pleasant surprise to this point.

I really like our "IN" team....upgrades everywhere.

Hugley can hit 3's AND FINISH in the post, unlike Groves.

We are (and I hate the term but it def is true) so much more athletic. Takes more than pure athleticism to be a good bball player...although that helps tremendously...:ez-roll:

As Skyvue mentioned, I don't think there was "hysteria" necessarily, but I was certainly concerned mainly because Moser had yet to bring in the type of athletes needed to be more competitive in this conference. I have never doubted Moser's coaching ability, but I was doubting his vision of what type of team/players he needed to be successful here. This year, I feel much better because of the athleticism upgrade as well as finding quality "glue" guys to fit roles on this team.

This is a really good team and I know it's a little difficult to come that realization based off what has happened the last two seasons. However, I've watched a lot of college basketball this season up to this point (more than usual) and from what I've seen, OU measures up well with teams in the Top 15-30ish range. The question is what is this team's ceiling? How much better can they get? Logic would tell you that they can improve because they haven't played much together much and more reps together should lead to more cohesion. But it is early and I remain cautiously optimistic.

Haven't watched all the games but from what I have seen this year runs much better and can actually get above the rim. I dunno just guessing if this year team could play last year
team what you think the out come would be? I say this year team by 15-20

This team is much better, imo. There's a reason why every single transfer dropped down a level in competition.

This team is light years better. And these transfers.

I’d take some of them still but not all

Second, any lack of faith some may have held regarding Moser being able to replace the departing players was justified based on the two portal cycles--and the on-court results--we'd already seen.

We have beaten this topic to death, but it takes time for many coaches. Everybody says they understand patience when hires are made, but fanbases rarely show the ability to truly demonstrate it. Last season was a nightmare, but one season (or even two) simply isn't a big enough sample size to judge a new hire. On the other hand, seven games is even less.

Give me the "IN" team with Cortes!! :)

He would have been nice with dudes that can actually score and defend.

Is Cortes even eligible at WSU? I could not find any stats on him...

No. Possibly for the second semester, but last I read that was yet to be determined.

Back